G7 & Libre 2 plus AID pumps approved FDA

Tandem t:slim X2 users in the US can now use either the Dexcom G7 or FreeStyle Libre 2 Plus continuous glucose monitor (CGM) to manage their diabetes as part of their automated insulin delivery (AID) systems?

Some of us have problems with the G6/7 failing before the 10 day lifespan. I wonder if this is an issue with Libre 2 Plus or really any Libre sensors.

1 Like

And another announcement from Dexcom for cgm targeted to Type 2s not on insulin.

“The continuous glucose monitor (CGM) maker designed Stelo specifically for people with type 2 diabetes who do not use insulin. San Diego-based Dexcom designed Stelo for a 15-day wear with a cash-pay option. It features a software experience tailored specifically for non-insulin users.”

It will be. The criterion is not that they do last any given period (14 days for the Libre 3) but that an acceptable percentage do not fail before then (double negative there). So as I remember it the G6 lasted for 10 days 95% of the time and, according to the user guide, the G7 lasts for 10 days 80% of the time.

My math is not good but, approximately, a G6 lasts for nine and a half days and the G7 for 8. Abbott’s figures are probably about the same (they are both US companies) but based on a 14 day baseline.

It’s a problem everywhere; med meets tech. Tech fails while “those drugs that make you thin” work every time. A prescription of a Dexcom is a 10 day supply; the concept of “95%” doesn’t translate into Dr Watson style medicine, well, not in the same way.

2 Likes

I can usually get 15+ days from each G6, with a restart. But do bg checks to see if still accurate after calibration.

I may be the last holdout to stay on G6.

I have tried G7 and it seemed slower to catch the bg rise/fall compared to G6 worn at same time, close location.

I will have to eventually switch.

My tandem X2 is out of warranty in July, soon after I start Medicare.

Glad we have choices.
For my early pumps,it was several models of Medtronic, maybe starting 506 or 507, then 508, 511,512, 522, 523, then another 523 (a great pump).
Then Tandem X2.

1 Like

We’ll stay on the G6 until forced off. Same “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” concept.

3 Likes

Anyone using the Libre 2 Plus yet? I’m interested only for the simple fact that my insurance coverage is MUCH cheaper for the Libre vs. Dexcom. Like $35 per month vs. $150 per month for Dexcom. Also, hi I’m new here!

1 Like

Welcome to what is in my not so humble opinion the best group of people and diabetes forum.

Someone wiil answer your question, not me, my experience is limited to Dexcom. Just wanted to say hi and welcome…
:wave:

2 Likes

Saw this today ref Dexcom Stelo: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/05/dexcom-announces-stelo-has-been-cleared-by-the-fda-.html. Brings up some questions: Why do CGMs require a prescription? Yes, we want some guarantee that the thing works as advertised, but does a script do that? From the description and picture, it seems like a G7 that’s longer lasting (15 day) and slightly less capable (fewer alarms). Perhaps its a G7 that didn’t quite pass muster and its a way of selling it anyway? I know, it doesn’t sound very trusting of the corporate board room…perhaps it will lead to improved products for folks like us…I’m apparently aptly named “Thomas” as in “doubting!”

1 Like

@TomH this new one does not have “urgent low” alarms. Not sure which alarms it has, maybe not even “low”, so it can’t be prescribed to type 1s or even any type that injects insilun and may need those alarms. Its being marketed as a health tool only.

1 Like

So we can get it covered by insurance :grinning:.

1 Like

I guess because they are “adjunctive” for those of us using insulin (like we never dose off fingerstick these days🤪)…and…

:rofl:

2 Likes