Omnipod Looping

So do you think this won’t be addressed?

I personally think it’s not correct behavior. Open should mean your schedule is currently running. And having it display as Open but having a temp running that was previously created when you were in Closed just seems bad to me.

You might be having a bad Dex session, and if the Dex numbers are wrong, you say “Oh crap, let me jump out of Closed mode!”

But then it’s still doing the temp from the Closed mode and the bad Dex numbers. I think that could be a possible problem.

What if you take Tylenol, and you know that it causes your Dex numbers to inflate incorrectly. It would be better to be able to promptly jump out of Closed.

Anyway, food for thought. I hope.

If you have pull with the good people of Loop, please share my thoughts!

If you think the behavior is incorrect, it is best to just open a new Loop issue. Personally, I am not sure - you could make arguments both ways.

1 Like

I think it’s a valid concern, I’m just not sure on how intertwined the code is when Loop changes from closed to open. Mr. Maksimovic would have a better feel for this than me.

Stopping or not stopping temp basals is second nature for me, it was one of the first things you learned on Medtronic. But I also wasn’t running a marathon and can imagine the extra steps it takes and hassle it causes.

1 Like

I did actually discover this the hard way. While running!

It just wasn’t intuitive. I assumed going to Open would return me to the scheduled basal. And I was surprsed to find it had not. And I didn’t discover that until after I had stopped running.

Doing these things from the phone is not very easy when running. I am hoping to minimize button pushes. I am planning on getting a watch today, so that might help me.

2 Likes

Does anyone know how to get Dexcom to be quiet on your iPhone?

On my iPhone I turned off notifications for Dexcom. And the application is not running, but it is still beeping for low alerts. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

This hasn’t happened before, only since installing Loop. I uninstalled Loop to see if that would make it stop, and it didn’t. I restarted my iPhone, and it’s still beeping.

So as it is now, I don’t have Loop installed, and I have the Dexcom app closed, and Dexcom notifications are turned off in my settings, but it is still beeping for lows.

This won’t work for me long term. :man_shrugging:

I’m not sure of all of the negative consequences of doing a factory reset, but it might be worth a try, to reset the iPhone back to the orginal factory settings. Perhaps Google or an iPhone page knows of the negative consequences involved … outside of getting the beeping to stop, which would be a positive consequence for you, not a negative! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Make sure the actual alerts on the app are turned off as well.

1 Like

I’m wondering the same thing. I cannot mute the urgent low alerts. I turned off Notifications for the app, except Urgent Low. Apparently, Dexcom app does not allow one to disable these, which are set to 55 mg/Dl, and these settings cannot be changed within the Dexcom app. Totally annoying because it terrifies my afghan hounds, really terrifies them.

I’m also using a small ring on the RL and a small colorful carabiner. I clip to the charge cord at night, to my belt loop or to a backpack. Very easy to move it around.

1 Like

Thanks for testing the battery life and posting it. Wondering if there any material difference based on number of entries made per day? But, based on the detailed analysis and modifications your doing, my daily use shouldn’t drain the battery much faster.

I really appreciate the detailed and comprehensive thread! In April, we moved from Chicago to Dallas, started a new job (a great thing but brings a whole new world of stress), started looping in early July and just got back from a vacation. That’s left me far less time than I prefer to “fiddle” with loop code… but I will be tackling it soon armed with many tidbits of info from all y’all FUD Loopers!

Thank you all for your insights.

2 Likes

@Millz, @Eric, @ClaudnDaye, Y’all know about the basal rate bug that underestimates your IOB, right? Just want to make sure you know about it, even though it’s only likely to be an issue for the little ones, like Liam.

2 Likes

Aye. It’s the overrides that do it. Increasing range helps somewhat. Did you know Katie is no longer supporting Jojo branch or any other of her public branches? :frowning: Someone did something today to ■■■■ her off.

1 Like

Yes, read up on the Pod click issue, thanks for asking. I expanded my correction range but it seemed to take longer to get back into range so adjusted it back.

1 Like

I have found what seems to help most with those sticky highs is allowing loop more flexibility in the basal rates. Instead of 3x Liam’s highest basal rate, I upped mine to almost 4x and I find Liam stays high a lot less time now when he goes high.

1 Like

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it for a 3rd party or a child, but I have my limit at 8x my highest basal, and loop does use that sometimes. I settled on 8x by deciding how much glucose I would be willing to take to compensate for a loop running at max for a half hour. Note that based on my experience with the Dex, I completely trust the CGM to warn me if I’m going low. If your CGM is not always that trustworthy, don’t give loop that much discretion.

2 Likes

As time passes and I become more comfortable with Loop and gain more trust in it, I will probably find myself increasing our rate as well. Having the higher basal really helps during those times (especially in anyone who has hormone spikes) where the body is going crazy. Being able to increase or decrease based on what’s actually going on right now is valuable. If the rate it too low then loop can’t fix it. So, I plan to observe if the current rate isn’t enough, the regularity of that occurring and, if it occurs frequently enough, I’ll continue bumping that up.

1 Like

I usually have my Max Basal set to 3x, or 1.5U. I do occasionally increase it to 4x, or 2U, for breakfast or for times when I’m experiencing poor insulin absorption.

Yeah, the loop recommendation is 3x the highest basal rate. I was there until recently. But bumping it up even a little has really staved the amount of time highs stay highs and I’m loving it.

1 Like

The 8x basal rate that @bkh mentioned is much more than I would use. I don’t trust my CGM enough to give Loop that much leeway.

But 3x or 4x seems to help a lot. As long as the CGM doesn’t go nuts on me it’s okay.

2 Likes

With that, I’ve found that, for Liam…I MUST calibrate immediately after calibration is required. In Liam (and it’s always been this way), even one hour after the time that I should have calibrated, the difference between what’s visible on the CGM and what his actual BG’s are can and often is off by 100 or more points. That’s massive.

1 Like