Omnipod Looping

This was asked on the other thread, and I think there were some speculative answers on it but I am not sure they were ever confirmed.

Suppose you are in Closed Loop mode and have an Override running at X%.

But then your Dexcom blanks out and starts giving you the “???”.

• Does that Override stay active and stay at its X% of your scheduled basal profile?

Or

• Does Loop just return you to your normal basal settings?

Since you can’t really be in Closed mode when Dexcom has blanked out on you, I am just wondering what happens during that Override.

This was discussed but I am not sure it was confirmed either way.

Potentially a big deal if it does not stay at the percentage but instead returns to the normal basal settings!

Has anyone confirmed this? @Trying, I think you were looking at this, what did you find?

At some point I will need to test this by putting a pod next to my ear for a little while and counting clicks.

I looked into this but couldn’t figure out how to reproduce the scenario for testing:-(

I originally thought that once the Override was set, it takes over the Scheduled Basal as far as the pod knows. But it seems from your additional questions and @dm61’s response, that the Override temp basals only last a max of 30 minutes if disconnected from Dex, pump or any other failure. Is this correct, @dm61? Thank you in advance for any insight into how Overrides work on hw failure.

1 Like

I noticed a couple of times I have gotten a delivery failed message on my phone, where it says something like “safe to try again”. I am guessing it was just from the RL being too far away (opposite pocket from the side the pod was placed).

Is there a way of getting that feedback on the watch?

I am worried that if I used the watch and the phone was in my pocket, I would not know that the delivery had failed.

1 Like

My best guess is that any Override basal is implemented as a 30-min temp basal, which means that it most likely expires in 30 minutes in case of any disconnects or failures. But, I am not 100% sure, will check and get back to you.

2 Likes

You get the same feedback on the watch.

2 Likes

Thank you, that is absolutely vital to me!

Does anyone happen to know where you can make the change for the low reservoir warning? I think the default is 20 units.

I am sure it is easy to find and change, but I haven’t looked yet.

Off-hand does anyone know where it is?

I’ll dig around the code a bit, but if you happen to already know, please let me know. Thanks!

Yes, it is: check line 530 of Loop/Managers/DeviceDataManager. The default warnings are at 30, 20 and 10, and there is a separate “empty” warning.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll update my next build!

Not sure if we already have a wiki here on FUD for these things, but it would be cool to put all these customizations someplace easy to reference.

I have a growing list now. I can eventually post a list if there is not a wiki.

1 Like

I put a split ring on my RL and I am using a small S-Biner clip to carry it around and attach it to whatever I need. I like this method because it’s easy to attach or remove the clip depending on what I am doing.

3 Likes

I know the RL battery life will not be the same for everyone. Besides the differences there might be in the actual batteries themselves, there is a difference in how everyone uses their RL.

But for mine, I wanted to share what I found.

I ran mine into the ground twice. I let it get totally depleted, then I fully recharged it and ran it down completely a second time. I needed to get an idea of the battery life, since there is no charge level gauge to look at.

For what it’s worth, I got 85 hours out of it both times. In both tests, I had the phone near the RL the entire time, bluetooth was connected the whole time, and I was running the Loop app the whole time. I was not always in Closed mode, I did both Closed and Open. And I may not be doing the same number of bolus entries as others, so my RL battery life may not be anything like what you will see.

But I thought it might be useful information to share what I found, and thought others may want to test this for themselves at some point. I would be interested to hear what others find for theirs.

4 Likes

This is impressive even if there is a diff between usage! Thank you for taking the time to test and share!! :slight_smile: I always charge mine at night and now I have a spare.

3 Likes

I was a little bit surprised at this. When I go from Closed Loop to Open Loop, my expectation is that it would cancel whatever temp basal is running and return me to the programmed basal schedule - meaning I would actually be back to Open.

But it looks like what is actually happening is that it waits 30 minutes for the current temp basal to run out before it returns to the programmed basal schedule.

It would be nice if going from Closed to Open would cause the app to issue a cancel temp basal command to the pod, so you are returned to the programmed basal schedule immediately. That would seem to be expected behavior, because when you look at the app and see that it is in Open, you assume your programmed basal rates are running again.

(The workaround I have found is to go to basal settings and sync them with the pod. This immediately returns the pod to the programmed basal rates.)

Any thoughts on this?

1 Like

I agree. I’ve seen in the FB looped group that it is recommended to suspend and then resume delivery to cancel the 30 minute temp basal. I tried this just now but the ZB temp basal remained active in Open Loop. I also tried your workaround of Sync with Pod, but my Scheduled Basal still did not resume. Maybe I need to wait for the next Loop - pod communication, up to 5 minutes??

That is odd. I look at the updated status by clicking the pod icon in the upper right, and then scrolling down to Status > Basal Delivery. It says “Schedule” which I am pretty sure means it is back to the programmed pod basal schedule.

Try this test. Have it run on Closed Loop for a while, in such a way that you know that something is happening to your basal. Like if you have a lowish BG and it drops your basal to zero (that is the easiest indicator I know of).

Click on the pod icon again, and scroll down like I described above, and you should see something like:
Status > Basal Delivery > 0 u/hr
(or something like that)

Then exit out of there, go to Settings (gear icon), click Basal Rates, then click Sync With Pod

After a few seconds you will see the sync is complete. Exit out of that screen.

Now click on the pod icon and scroll down. Now you should see:
Status > Basal Delivery > Schedule

For me the sync always changes it back to where it says Schedule.

Try that and let me know what you are seeing.

The displays are sometimes not up to date after a suspend/resume. They are working on this bug, but for now you might need to restart the app.

After tapping Suspend and then Resume, scroll to the bottom and you’ll see current basal showing. This reported value comes from the pod itself.

Yes, that works, but as @BrianJ mentioned, the home screen showing the temp doesn’t update. I guess that is just a bug. Thank you!!

But besides the bug of it not updating the display, does anyone know if the issue is being worked on that any temp basal should be promptly stopped when going from Closed to Open?

That seems like a reasonable expectation of being in Open mode, right?

That would be my expectation. Checking the github issues, I don’t see anything opened for this. Maybe open a feature request??? :slight_smile:

Originally, the biggest fear was “how do we insure” temp basals are cancelled after a fault or problem. This was handled by dealing in setting maximum 30 minute temp basals, which was the smallest basal time period a Medtronic pump would allow.

You have always had the option to turn temp basals off when you stop closed loop. It also might be in your advantage to continue the temp basal when Loop is temporarily offline.