Just a quick check-in after the first 2 weeks on the Omnipod and the Dexcom. I maximized the lifetime of the Omnipod with changing it every 3 days with just doing the basal on it. We started with a typical basal of 24 hours at 2.8 u/hr but that didn’t work and led to nighttime highs and kept me pretty low during the day. Tweeking the settings slowly led to a basal of 3.1 u/hr from 12am-8am and 2.6 u/hr 8am-12am which leaves me with exactly 3 days/199.2units. Perfect!
However, if you are doing lower units, administering the bolus on the Omnipod PDM is actually quiet easy. It really comes down to personal preferences and everyones personal situation.
And of course, really anything is possible but be very, very careful. You could fill the reservoir of an Omnipod with the Kwikpen 200 or an Humalog500 u/ml but you have to account for reducing your basal and bolus according to those units not to double or 5 fold your insulin dosage. This can be deadly! You are dealing with units per ml (u/ml) with those Insulins not units per hour (u/h) with the Omnipod.
The insurance company played along and I have prescriptions for Humalog Kwikpen200 and the Humalog Vial 100 for the Omnipod refill.
With that, I most likely will stay with basal=Omnipod, and Kwikpen = bolus. I net a little bit of freedom from instead of doing one Lantus shot per 24 hours to changing the Omnipod every 72 hours even though it might take the same amount of time. But I got rid of one medication. And results are looking really good and seem to be even more fine-tuneable with different basal options and of course extended bolus possibilities. Those results show the 1st week with the original basal and using bolus on the Omnipod and in comparison the 2nd week with the tweeking of the basal still in progress for about 3 days into that timeframe and all boluses from the Kwikpen. Next target is to reduce “deviation” even more and adding more percentage into the “green” even if the 'average" goes up slightly.