Anyone gone back to shots after years on the pump?

I’ve been on the Omnipod for years, and have had constant issues (mainly cannot wear it without pain save for my stomach, and that area has been WAY overused). After trying a new arm location and suffering through the pain for a couple nights, I just ripped the damn thing off and did a shot of Lantus.

Considering trying shots again for a mental break. Lantus and FIASP.

10 Likes

Welcome to FUD @beans_betes. We have many members that use shots or take breaks from their pumps. My son usually takes a one month pump break every year using Lantus and Humalog. Great practice for when the tech has problems, or when you are ready to go back to MDI. Do you pump the FIASP?

3 Likes

Hey Chris,

No, I don’t pump FIASP. I have, but it was causing swelling at the site. I do occasionally inject FIASP even while wearing the pump, because I find it more reliable.

I remember having a far easier time when I was on shots, and never ending problems since going on the pod, but I think a part of that was honeymoon phase. That said, it was like 4 years of MDI before pumping, so I’m not sure honeymoon goes that long. I was also more disciplined with food on MDI because to deal with a rollercoaster with MDI vs pumping seemed scarier.

IDK, I’m totally burnt out, feel like my mental health in terms of all things related to Diabetes s in the toilet. Just trying something new I suppose, see if it improves anything.

4 Likes

Awesome, that is exactly what taking a pump break or even stopping pumping is about. Prioritizing mental health above everything else is so important for diabetics. Because if your brain isn’t in the right headspace you won’t be able to make all the decisions that are required. If you decide to go back to pumping you might try a different brand with a tube that allows for multiple types of sets. Not everyone is able to get great results with the Omnipod due to the set design. My son is in college and is so happy with his Tslim. Experimenting to find the best set for himself was definitely part of the process.

5 Likes

Hi @beans_betes,
I sometimes take short breaks when circumstances require it.

Are you comfortable with using Lantus? Like did you use it before using pods? Have you tried any other basal insulins? Have you tried different options with Lantus, like splitting it and stuff like that?

There are a bunch of different ways to do MDI, and a lot of experience on FUD if you want to explore those options.

5 Likes

Did you ever use another brand of pump? Some people just don’t get along with pods (or pods don’t get along with them) but have success with other makes of pump, sometimes because there are options with the length/angle/material of cannula.

I take breaks from pumping now and then. My last break lasted 13 years! Do you remember how you managed on MDI? The switch should be pretty easy if you don’t have to figure out your doses and timings.

2 Likes

YES! I take pump breaks occasionally and just started one last night! It’s been a rough start since I’m using a new insulin (Levemir) but I’m so happy to be tech-free and tube-free for a little while, at least.

4 Likes

I’d love to, but I can’t pay out of pocket. Maybe when my warranty is up I’ll try a tubed pump.

1 Like

No, just MDI and pods. I managed well on MDI, but I was in a better place in every way and may have been some honeymoon phase going on

2 Likes

Hi @beans_betes , welcome!
WE haven’t gone back to shots/pen but we did switch from Omnipod to Tslim after having pretty much endless site failures. We would have a day of 80 mg/DL and then the next day his site would fail and he’d go to 600 mg/DL and have high ketones within a few hours.

Anyways I think that there is no harm in trying shots for a while, or even forever! Feeling burnt out is a clue you need to try something different. You have to prioritize feeling sane, competent and in control over some theoretical advantage a pump may offer you. Pumps are great, but not for everyone!

10 Likes

my last pump was a Medtronic minimed 503, so its been a while, i do have a Dexcom, and am currently using lyummjev and tresiba with an a1c under 7. i used the pump for about 5 years, but it was before cgms and looping, however, i can attest that mdi is fine, although if you are stuck with lantus, i always had to split the dose…xdrip is also key, especially after you set up the low predictions, different ringtones, and watchface.

2 Likes

My break lasted about 36 hours… currently booting up my Tandem pump. I didn’t realize how much better I sleep with ControlIQ at the helm!

8 Likes

It is quite lovely when the pump is set up well and CIQ can just do its thing.

2 Likes

It’s worth dealing with the tubing. Now I’m considering switching to omnipod when the new one comes out… I hope it works as well as ControlIQ!

4 Likes

After pumping for 5 years I went back to MDI for a prolonged beach vacation. That was 18 months ago and I’m still MDI using a 1/2u NovoPen Echo, Tresiba and Novolog. My control is the same, on or off the pump, and I simply like the simplicity of MDI.

8 Likes

That is awesome. It is great to see people succeeding regardless of the tools they choose.

4 Likes

I switched from Omnipod to Tresiba and Lyumjev MDI on January 1st. Was on Medtronic pump prior. Have been thinking about going back to MDI for years. My Endo always talks me out of it. On Medicare and the pods were too expensive. Also had problems with placement. Didn’t work well on legs and cannula kept leaking insulin on arm. The switch was not as seamless as I anticipated. Basal worked differently than using the humalog. But now figured dose that works for me. Inject on opposite side of thigh each morning. Save arms and abdomen for bolus. I love the freedom!!! Not watching how I remove clothes etc. so portable. Throw a pen into a frio pouch and good to go. I remember many years ago traveling to Costa Rica with pens. Had no problems. Right now do not see me going back to a pump. Good luck!

7 Likes

Hi @RogerType1,
I’m curious why you had to split the dose when on MDI with Lantus? I’m always interested in learning what others do.
My 12 y/o son is on MDI with Lantus since he was diagnosed with Type 1 almost 2 years ago. He gets Lantus once a day. Endo always tries to nudge him to a pump, but she acknowledges that he/we “are an awesome pancreas”, with an A1C of 6.0. Our son does not want a pump, because he doesn’t want another device on him besides his Dexcom.
Thanks, ~Andre

4 Likes

Back when I was on Lantus I split the dose into morning and evening halves because it seemed to give a smoother, more even release.

5 Likes

Andre, curious if you have done a test to see how long the Lantus lasts for your son? We found for us that it lasts almost 24 hours. We got better results when we injected mid-day so we were awake when it lost effectiveness, and for many who it doesn’t last the full 24, for some it only lasts 21 or 22 hours, they inject twice a day to get a smoother effect.

2 Likes