Omnipod: do Pods need special adhesive or precautions to last 3 days?

Does a pod not last 3 days without the extra adhesive? I don’t use anything like that, since it’s only 3 days.

1 Like

For us, the Pod adhesive doesn’t last three days. Maybe it’s his soft skin.

2 Likes

For me - the pod adhesive lasts 3 days under normal use. I only use skintac on CGM sensors.

I had a batch of pods a year ago that had adhesive that was not that great and I used skintac to keep them on.

With the PODs I have been getting these days, there is more than enough adhesive left after 3-days and they are hard to peel off.

1 Like

We really appreciated @Aaron’s advice, however, once EH shaved a part of his leg and wound up with (what I’m pretty sure was) a staph infection. We had a topical steroid for a skin issue I’ve got and used that, but there’s still a scar/patch of pissed off skin where the shaving happened.

I would add: clean the area very well and shave with some shaving cream and a clean razor blade. (I’m sure that’s plenty obvious as I type it, but we were hasty at some point and it turned out poorly for him.)

I actually wonder if trimming leg hair with a beard trimmer would be enough…less irritating than actually shaving.

1 Like

We find that we get worse numbers on the third day without adhesive, and sometimes see it start hanging off the skin on the edges. But, for us, we spend a high number of days with pool practices in the water. so adhesives are always an issue.

What we do:

• wash with soap and water

• dry thoroughly

• clean with an alcohol swipe or cotton+alcohol

• let dry

• draw a 3/4" circle for canula insertion area with a pen

• apply SkinTac, let dry until tacky (we used to apply 3 layers, but now we only do one)

• Apply Pod

When removing:

• use adhesive remover as we pull Pod

• thoroughly clean area with alcohol (or more adhesive remover) to leave no glue

• wash with soap and water

• dry

• use organic hydrating cream (to minimize possible skin problem in the future)

I think that it really depends on your skin type. I don’t use any extra adhesives (for CGM or pod sites), and they seem to stick pretty well on me.

1 Like

I’ve never used any extra adhesives. Only once, after a long day of hiking on a very hot, humid day, did the adhesive loosen, but even then not enough for the cannula to come out.

I thnk it also greatly depends upon what you do during the day. My son swims almost daily. I took us months to get his CGM sensor to stay for a whole week on a row :slight_smile: For us, even the Pods have a hard time going in and out of the water all the time, despite their short wear time.

For sure. I am on the treadmill every day and things tend to stick better where I sweat less.

1 Like