From Animas to Omnipod - feedback after one month

I am an Omnipod user. I tried a used Medtronic pump out after I got my Omnipod, but didn’t like the whole tubing thing and decided I was happy with Omnipod.

No pink slider failures for me.

I use the Contour Next one because I liked my meter when I got the pod and didn’t want to switch. I do not use the built-in Freestyle meter.

When I first started on the Omnipod, I got my wife to peer into the window for me with a flashlight to check if the cannula was inserted. After a while, I just gave up on looking in the window and as long as the insertion “feels right” I go with it. Most places I put the pod, I can’t see in the window at all.

When I put the pod on, there can be a drip of insulin left on the cannula from priming. This will cause condensation. I also get condensation from sweating. I just tend to ignore the condensation and watch my CGM to tell me if I cam getting enough insulin.

This is me too - in the first couple of months, I thought that the PODs were not working for me. I did not have pod failures but I had site failures and site bleeding on a regular basis. Then after a lot of practice putting the pod on and changing my pod application technique, I finally figured out how to apply PODs and it is rare for me to have any site issues.

My feeling is that the site failures have to do with cannula movement. Once I get the POD on right, and and have no cannula movement, everything seems to work for me. The only failures I seem to get these days is when I am carrying my 2 year old around and he pulls the POD or kicks me or something like that. Usually, this shows up as bleeding. Sometimes this shows up as insulin leaking around the cannula.

Here are my two top tips (which I repeat from other threads):

1. Make sure the POD sticks to your skin well - (shave for those who have hair), clean the skin with alcohol, apply the pod cannula end sort of first. Press down to make sure it is stuck on. I do not use skintac, but if you need it, use it.
  2. When you hit start to insert the cannula - squeeze up on either side of the pod at the cannula end while pushing down on the cannula. I usually squeeze up with my thumb and middle finger and push down with my index finger. For some reason, this seats the cannula in my skin better.
6 Likes