Omnipod 5 first user experience

It’s awesome when you get an occlusion on the 3rd day. That’s like a bonus pod! :grinning:

@Hammer Glad you have a fix for the issue! I marvel at the in’s & out’s of insurance we hear from everyone. Your’s of 30 for 60 being ok, but 45 for 90 not…begs the question of basic math ability? We should start an incomprehensible insurance/pharmacy story thread, if it doesn’t exist already! I recall unraveling the Medicare coverage of pumps based on whether they have a tube…there is logic, but it’s warped! The trick: Don’t try to make sense of it! My story is kind of mellow: Pharmacy lady couldn’t understand it takes 6 boxes of 5 pods at 1 per 3 days for a 90-day supply, insisted 5 was right! (Say it with me, “Can I talk with the pharmacy manager?”) Same lady, same day insisted I needed 5 boxes of 5 flex pens each at 30u/day for a 90-day supply of insulin. I gave up, took the lot, and messaged my doc to be extremely specific on the next script! On the next script, pharmacy called: “Have you gotten these here before? You need pre-approval…” Me: “Let’s see, you’ve been filling the Novolog for two years, the Omnipods for one year…don’t you guys like…keep records?” Pharmacy: “Oh yeah, I see that here…”

1 Like

My insurance did something like this!
THEY changed my prescription because I needed something while I was out of town in an emergency situation.
I asked them to change it back, and refused saying that it had to have approval.

As for the count per prescription, I went through a number of their people before someone flat out explained that they can only approve up to 30 pods. There was no limitation on the time period. I just had to pay same amount ($162 I think) for a 60 day or the 90 day. So they get the same amount of my money per pod.
I think in their system if they filled it for 45 pods for a 90 day, I would be paying less per pod ($162 for 45 of them is how I THINK their system would show it.)

Either way, you are correct in the statement of ’ Don’t try to make sense of it!

1 Like

Woohoo I always feel like I won the lottery when my prescription gets approved. Got my 45 new little tech toys.

2 Likes

So I have to say after being without it for a week I’m really liking the OM5. Going to be super happy when they come out with an iPhone app. I didn’t expect to like it this much but not having tubes and being super easy to change has been really nice. I also get 0 lows with it unless I purposely rage bolus. Having super stable blood sugars has been great. Plus I like the idea of not having a $5000 pump I have to take care of when I travel. Now once the G7 comes out in its small compact throw away size it’s going to the best.

Cant wait to see what the future holds for diabetes tech. So happy that kids and young people have this available. If only it was more affordable for everyone.

4 Likes

I could not agree with you more! After watching my brother use a tube style pump for decades, going to a pump was the absolute last thing I wanted, even though my Endo recommended it for me years ago. When I first read about the OM5, I thought it was worth a try (I was giving myself 6 - 8 injections per day at that point). I now LOVE not giving myself injections, plus being able to bolus myself anywhere, anytime. It truly is a game changer for me.
All I want to see now is the G7, which I will be able to observe on my Apple Watch, and an Apple Watch compatible app for the OM5, so I can stop carrying the PDM everywhere. Since I am the only person on Earth who only turns on his cell phone when leaving the house, an iPhone app that won’t run on my watch is of little use to me.
I guess I’d settle for just the G7 showing on my watch.

2 Likes

Yeah the smaller G7 will be so much better! Won’t feel like I’m such a cyborg.

The BlueJay watch might be of interest to you. It displays the Dex number without needing a phone. And it only costs about $100.

I’ve seen it. I already have the Apple Watch, which works as long as I’m carrying my CriPhone. It’s also handy for hands free cell phone conversations when I’m driving a rental car, so I can wait for the G7 to make it even more useful without the CriPhone.

Does Insulet replace bad pods? I’ve had two for whatever reason just doesn’t bring down my sugar. I take a shot and it’s fine and when I took first one off the line wasn’t kinked. I have taken this 2nd one off yet. No occlusion alarms or anything just super high blood sugar.

Yes they will replace bad pods…seems like any pod that does not work as it should can be replaced with a phone call to Insulet. 1-800-591-3455

2 Likes

Yeah they require you to send back the old one. I already threw one out. This one when I took it off was gushing blood out. I guess the arm isn’t the best place but that’s the only place I like to wear them. Now I remember why I always went back to shots.

That’s weird. I have not had a single bad pod so far, and I’m half through my second order of 30, plus the ones in the intro kit. I wear mine on the outside of my leg, or on my abdomen, on the same side as my Dexcom, which I always wear on the back of my upper arm. I had one pod bleed a lot when I removed it, but otherwise, no issues for me. Sometimes my pod loses the connection to the Dexcom, but I either restart my PDM or turn it off and back on. One time, I could see my number on the dashboard but not on the bolus screen, and restarting and shutting down the PDM didn’t fix it, so I tried hitting the glucose number (which was blank) on the bolus screen, and I got a wheel to enter a BG value. I turned it way up, and back down to zero, then returned to the bolus screen, and it was able to read again when I hit ‘use CGM’. I even discovered a way to avoid the dreaded ‘glucose goes up shortly after I wake up’ syndrome - I hit ‘Use CGM’ on the bolus screen right before I get in my shower, and even if I’m still below 150, it always gives me bit, and then I do so again right after I get out of my shower. Problem solved.

Hmmm… I had to get a few replaced back before they figured out the disconnect issue with the Android app. When I called, they asked for the pod numbers, but never asked me to send them back. I have definitely discovered that calling Omnipod 5 support is definitely a YMMV situation.

1 Like

Yeah I was surprised they asked to send them back and said since I hadn’t saved it they wouldn’t replace it. I didn’t feel like arguing. I think this one might have just been an issue with placement. Side of arm where triceps and biceps meet was gushing blood after removed it and super painful. So sticking to back or arm now.

Anyone know how to clear the memory of what it learned? I want to start from scratch like when I first started using it. Worked much better so curious if I can reset the memory.

Go to main menu

Click Settings
Click General
Click Reset

You’ll have to do all the first time stuff and connect g6 transmitter.

3 Likes

Hi - quick question - when I do the reset, will I also have to change the pid or can I do them independent of each other? I am resetting today and wanted to get a couple of hours into the reset on current pod and then change. Thanks!

Wait. It makes you redo everything.

Thanks! Very helpful as always!

1 Like