Omnipod 5 first user experience

I’m on my second pod now. Never used a pump before. So far it’s working really well for me, keeps my levels flat throughout the night. No problems with lows, still have to chase around post meal levels. Pretty impressed really…

5 Likes

Interesting thing is I’m using far far less insulin than I was on mdi….

I was taking around 30u of tresiba daily and anywhere from 15-45u of novolog.

Average tdd with the pod has been less than 40u of just novolog

Yeah same here. It’s working pretty good for me after doing some tweaks. Traveling with it has been great.I don’t have to worry about an expensive pump and they are very compact and easy to change. Definitely stops lows completely for me unless I really take too much after eating. Definitely feels freeing to not have tubes. Once we have an app it’ll be heaven.

My daughter uses U200 in hers just had to cut all rates in half.

It seems to do a great job of preventing lows by interrupting the basal delivery. Doesn’t have much of any horsepower to increase basal delivery enough to even slow down random daily increases in bg though. Any hacks discovered to allow it to be more aggressive with basal increases? I end up constantly adding bolus throughout the day

1 Like

Maybe you can try taking a few units of Tresiba every day, and not telling it?
:shushing_face:

1 Like

I haven’t figured out any yet unless you do a restart with a higher Total Daily Dose. I definitely do what you do and add a correction when I see a upward trend two or so hours after a meal dose. Just a bit less than I would with Dash because of the systems auto corrections. It’s a lot like Sugar Surfing.

That would probably help…. But i really need to keep the focus on less daily processes at this point, I just don’t have the capacity currently for more things

1 Like

It determines its own tdd though doesn’t it? I’ve not seen anywhere to enter manually an estimated total daily dose— that would be helpful if it was an option…

Supposedly it strives to work toward 50/50 but I don’t end up anywhere near that, more like 30% basal and 70% bolus when in auto mode

1 Like

It determines the TDD on the first pod on your entered basal settings. So you are manually entering them in a way on the very first pod.

That was my understanding too, and I entered a pretty hefty manual basal rate… but it never seems to give me anywhere near that

2 Likes

Best hack I’ve used involves switching to Manual at meals. Then you can use extended bolus which is not available in Auto mode. Only problem is remembering to switch back to Auto 3 times daily…

3 Likes

How long do you stay in Manual? For the length of the extended bolus, or for your insulin duration time, or …?

I expect this is how I’ll be managing things, with a mix of injections or extendeds in Manual, because of my problems with tunneling.

2 Likes

I stay in manual until my post meal BG has peaked and is trending flat in range or downward, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours after the meal. But of course that timing varies depending in all the usual factors and sometimes I will end up over bolussing snd dropping quicker.

I also tend to overcomplicate these forays into manual mode with temp basal increases for 1-2 hours. That is a whole nother topic but the basics are: Look at the BG graph on the Om5 PDM and if I have been at zero basal for a significant time (indicated by a red line) I try to make up for the “missing” basal with a temp basal increase.

All this screwing around negates the “set it and forget it” pitch of the Om5 but seems necessary for me. The only times I’m fully relying on Auto mode are when active or between meals and when sleeping.

3 Likes

I just went to my Endo, and she commented on how great my numbers were when I was in manual mode.
Kind of defeats the purpose of the smarter pumps. But it does show that it is capable of doing it’s job, just not as closed loop as they want you to think.

3 Likes

I agree, and I think the disappointed users are those who go into it expecting a great closed loop experience able to auto adjust for everything that hits our BG daily. I am satisfied that it is an improvement over manual pumping with Dash and its tubeless, good enough for me.

3 Likes

Thanks, @John58. Good tips!

2 Likes

I relate to this exactly. Very disappointed that it refuses to give enough basal insulin in auto mode but does great in manual.I haven’t found a good way around it except to constantly switching back and forth. So much potential for this pump if they’d fix this. I also notice that it’s really bad at large boluses. (10iu) Like it doesn’t get absorbed well or something. I take a shot and it drops but same dose from the pod doesn’t have anywhere near the bg stopping power.

So why do I keep it over my tandem?

1. Not having tubes is amazing.
  2. I love that it’s disposable.
  3. It’s small enough that I forget I’m wearing it.
  4. It’s great at stopping lows
  5. Very quick to change pods
4 Likes

What does it do in manual that’s automatic or algorithmic? I thought manual mode was equivalent to the classic pod, with your programmed basals and manual corrections, etc.

Nothing automatic at all when in manual mode.

But the pump does what it is supposed to. Just means the programming isn’t as good as other closed loop products out there.

1 Like