Omnipod 5, exercise mode, tunneling and/or site issues/ basal and bolus percentages screwy

Thanks, Eric! And, alas, things just take time to truly figure out. I had to change insulin duration more aggressively for a few hours yesterday and landed on 2.5 - right where I started. It was affecting auto choosing to let me go high since it figured I had plenty of IOB. The pausing insulin you suggested is the most awesome tool, though! I now have to learn to figure out my true basal rates. I made them more aggressive by just a .5 increment yesterday, but would really like to unlock this mystery so I can manage. I just want to thank you for the great help and rationale behind stuff. I am going to make a post now about some more ponderings - I truly think auto is requiring too much of my attention (defeats its purpose!). And I wonder about how others have it keeping them in the 110-120 range while I correct and correct. Also, I think I also need to account for some of the carbs ingested during exercise for my breakfast and/or change my breakfast ratio again because I made 7 corrections between 9:44 and 11:04 yesterday - finished BF at 7:54, pre-bolused 14 minutes and gave that bolus at 7:21. Exercise was 5:53-7:11 (ate Kind mini for 8g at 5:25 preload and 8 grams glucose tabs at 6:17 when started dropping fast). Have you any opinion on what to try first? Maybe bolus for an extra 8 at BF for half of the exercise carbs? And am I more concerned with the longer lasting (though not really since began to go low in spite of) Kind mini, or the glucose tabs eaten more closely to breakfast? Also, perhaps the answer is to see if 16 or 17 gram full Kind bar would sustain exercise and then I could just regular bolus for exact BF carbs? If you have time and can point me in the direction you think might be more fruitful, I sure would appreciate it! I gave specific details just to be clear. And now - I will wait on my ponderings I was going to post about whether t-slim might be a better choice if I could keep air bubbles out and master its infusion set stuff since I only tried it for a month, because I am now having another dern conundrum:
I did 55 minutes of free weight-training this am and paused insulin. Sugar only dropped to 122 and leveled out as I finished (began at 158 when I paused). But, damn - I am now getting beeped and 165 going up! Just since I have written this. My pod is 47 hours in and I suspect tunneling again. Wonder what is worse for a body - and scar tissue which I plan to avoid - pods changed every 2 days or t-slim infusion set which may or may not need every 2 days - or mdi with little needle sticks 4-6 times a day? This is frustrating, but glad I did not eat during weights and I remember some post wt. training highs while on shots - just don’t know if it is me or pod. I think I will bolus for breakfast and let it give me more to compensate for high and see if pod works - downside - if it is the pod and I change it after breakfast, it will think I have a ton on board and I won’t. Guess I now have the arsenal of manual mode on my side, though. Never have just used it. I do feel like I am running out of placements for pods - dex is on back of left arm and lower back has been overused. Life as a T1D. . . Sure keeps us on our toes! Sorry this got long and no worries if no time to respond. Happy Friday!

5 Likes

There are all kinds of different ways to cook it. Any different combination might work.

But in general, consider that you will normally have a quick drop right when you start. So a fast carb right when you start might be useful.

And also, having the longer carbs will last throughout the workout, so that can help too. So you can combine the fast and slow and see if that prevents the drop.

Remember - when you are on a zero basal, you gotta gotta gotta take a bolus right when you finish, or a few minutes before you finish. Otherwise you can spike after you are done!

1 Like

Geez! Have not put together the bolus when on zero at finish. Don’t know why I get stuck sometimes on something like this. Thanks ever so much. This is where I have absolutely NOT been attending since on pump. And seems so obvious when someone else says it! Thanks for being the someone else! And reminding of multiple ways to cook it and why. The “whys” help so much so I don’t need to think, but just make sense of and apply the knowledge. Yay! Have a great weekend!

3 Likes