Omnipod BG control

good day all, I have been trying to fight my evening spikes. Have been switching to manual mode with some success. Was reading an article on a lot of doctors are using time in range verses Aic, and in article that spoke of the standard range of 70-180 with a tight range of 80-140. then I was reading through Omnipod or actually on my controller that the o-5 works to keep you within the set range (wish I could remember where) any way I went into my history and saw that it really cuts back on basil when approaching the upper limit on its way down,
So any way I changed my target range to 80-140 and now when I am approach 140 going up it will increase my basal up to 0.25 depending on rise rate and coming down it will maintain a high rate until approaching 140 before cutting back.
have only been doing for a few days but my average BG has gone down, but my time in range has also drop, though that dosen’t concern me much.
My target is 110 with correct above 110 and been that way, It doesn’t much seem to be concerned much with the 110 target. Also noticed that it will stop basal when correcting below the high target, meaning when at say 150 and do a correction it will cut my basal down to zero. now if I do a correction at say again 150 it will keep basal going. it still will not take me to 110 but likes around 120 witch seemed to be a sweet spot both now and before.
Of coarse I am interested in any and all options. Thank you.

1 Like

That is very interesting information. I may adjust my range as well and see it that will help me get more basal. Thanks!

Just for giggles,

3 Likes

@T1john That seems a very nice smooth graph! I’ve always wanted them to add a scale to the side, I think thats one reason I’ve always preferred the Sugarmate or Loop graphs, makes it obvious, though anyone owning the phone would know.

Want to add an update, that yesterday the highest I went was 175 and it kept me around 90 all night. This is my history from yesterday, even my total insulin was down from my normal 40+ units a day and yes my range is set at 80-140, the highs and lows were within the 70-180 old (for me) range.

I don’t know how to redo the settings. The ones they prescribed me are not working, took off the pod and taking injections until it’s figured out.

What settings are available on the Omnipod 5? I have never used that one.

There is not a basal setting, right? It just does that on its own?

You put in your own basal settings and OP5 will kind of use it for one pod. So you’re right that it does its own thing after the first day or so.

The only setting that will affect the algorithm after that is the target BG you choose.- Anywhere from 110 to 150 and Activity Mode which sets to 150.

2 Likes

@TheWayOfLife Sorry, I don’t have an answer for you! If the highs were only after meals and you could adjust something, I’d recommend restarting with checking your basal, then ISF and CRs; but the first rise (interpretted as about 3-4am) makes it seem not to be food induced, and if your on O5, iLet, or similar, the limited inputs don’t allow a suggested action. The only question is: Had your food intake changed with the holidays (let’s face it, there’s a lot of treats around for the holidays and “just one” turns into 2 or 3 easily) for all but the most stedfast! I had a family celebration yesterday with cinnamon rolls, cookies, etc. beckoning me to participate!

1 Like

If you took off the pod to start MDI you could have just switched to manual mode with the same results. But the real benefit of going manual with OP5 is the pump continues to track your total daily dose, while in manual mode, so when you switch back to auto mode you might be in better shape. I’m a big fan of mastering your settings using OP5’s manual mode for a couple of weeks before going auto.

6 Likes