My current responses, thanks to all

good morning I had no intention of hijacking on this thread Omnipod - Correction Factor and Glucose goal range - which has biggest effect (in your real experience)? - #6 by Josie
because that’s a very worthwhile topic and would love reading more of the responses to this.
Now let me say I enjoyed all the responses I received to my reply to this thread. Still feel there is some kind of relationship there, but I will admit it is probable explainable by the simple reason it just reacting to the perceived bg an hour forward as Insulet states.
Further that the changes I had, have could easily be explained by my Intensive Diabeties Management style.I have Gastroparesis among other Gastrointestinal aliments that make my reactions to food, insulin timing and such unreliable, so I attempt to keep a tight reign on my bg, or of course as tight as I can. Am retired live by myself and can’t get around good so I have nothing but time on my hands, so I research a lot.
Want to stay on track and say I hope I offended no one, or give the impression I am hard headed, was I guess looking for hope I was on to something worth exploring further.And realize it was probably just my desire to keep my sugar under 140 all the time, I actually got to 95% TIR on day, and that the real problem is as I like to say, “The biggest problem is us” and mine is food. I like to eat a lot in the evening. I eat dinner at 5pm, then normally another meal at around 7pm then around 10ish will have dessert or so called, I am no longer big (am 6’4" and before heart attack and cancer weighed 280lbs after 160lbs) have worked for like 4+ years to get to where I am now 200lbs and still trying to gain more so I eat allot.
Damn went off track again so am going to end here. Thank you all, this group has really help me over the years I have been here, and is my top source of information.

5 Likes

You asked great questions, @T1john. No worries. And if I came off as rude in any way, I’m sorry. It sounds like you’ve had some challenges and made it through with a strong desire to keep up the good fight for optimal health. Kudos!

2 Likes

No you didn’t, I look for, appreciate, read and thoroughly consider all responses. It was the responses I got that caused me reconsider my initial theory on target ranges. I believe everyone using the O5 is in some degree trying to figure out how to make it work best for ourselves, I know I am, it’s only through questioning that we can advance our knowledge on anything.

3 Likes

@T1john I probably have not helped because my thick head still believes that something changes when goal range changes. I, too, am very regulated and go for very tight control. Of course, now that I realize I may not even know my basal rate(s) and correct I/C ratios, am taking a pump break fir longer than the last few-days one and feel I am reigning in answers to my body so I can use manual on OP5. And I still may have to consider Tandem again because the necessary 2-day pod changes are just leaving less and less real estate while bruising and bumps take a while to heal, even with neosporin. Probaby the steel set would work better and maybe OP 5 will have choices someday. Anyway, sorry if I inadvertently created any extra commotion. I think it is better to share so people may be able to experiment. And when one finds they were off on their guesstimates, who cares? We all have to try to do what works for us and perception can surely be reality. Take care and don’t beat yourself up.
Laura

2 Likes

Thank you, I have very thick skin and appreciate any and all responses, Truly. That’s probably why I can be hard headed. and at the same time realize I can certainly be wrong.
I would like to add

I posted post yesterday where manual really messed me up, well not so much manual as myself. I use manual to help stop highs and rises and fell asleep in manual the night before (I normally set timer on iPhone to remind me of when I want to turn off). and found out the hard way that manual does not recognize bg levels and ran all night. That would not be a problem with my normal basal program, but I have an elevated basal program that is set to 3.5 units an hour. so yea I woke up really, really low, and could not figure out how to stop it. daughter was home and I never taught here how to use controller, but did teach her what to do when I am low like that, she had ne remove pod then fed the he** out of me, so of course when I woke up Dexcom would not read I was so high, and stayed to high to read over an hour, when I checked today I was 19 units above my normal TDI.

Your example is similar to the situation I faced, but mine not quite so drastic. And then I realized I really need to know my true settings for manual, because these things can get very scary when the machine is running things, and the human forgets to tell it something like I did as well. And sometimes I would just plan to put it on for 10 minutes or so and then forget that and then later find out with extreme blood sugars that I had an issue. So I’m regrouping and just trying to learn more about my true numbers and how to better inform the omnipod so that it can work best with me. I hope you find your best ways to use it, too!

2 Likes

I have my basal #'s party much dialed in, but as I said I have a high basal program that I use and set an alarm on my phone to check on my status. it is very easy for me, I just say hey seri, set alarm for 45 minutes, and it does. alarm will go off until I stop in case I forget get busy fall asleep. but nothing is full prof. Hope you get it figured out.

1 Like