Omnipod - Correction Factor and Glucose goal range - which has biggest effect (in your real experience)?

I have a different understanding of the OP5. I don’t know if it is the correct one but it comes from listening to the Juicebox episodes and the Loop and Learn Panel discussions and discussions with my CDE.

Sure it’s valuable to know how to manually use the pump for times when dex is off or your insulin needs are higher but it’s not exactly helping the algorithm. The system isn’t getting any better info during this time. It’s only using Total Daily Dose for this period. You would get the same even in auto mode. If it’s keeping you steady overnight there is no need to use manual while sleeping.

You need to bolus in auto mode to learn to work with the algorithm. From my understanding everyone’s carb ratios are generally more aggressive because the system cuts the basal when below target. If you’re blousing in manual mode you won’t get to practice. It’s a lot of time wasted. My settings are different for OP5 then from dash. I changed them on my second day when in auto mode. I have used auto from day 1. Only changing into manual when it wasn’t aggressive enough.

The reset is really only valuable for times when your basal has dramatically increased for a few days. ie sickness or menstrual cycle. It’s not going to increase your TDD for more the one pod.

I’m not sure where you changed the target to 70 to 140? Is this in Dexcom Clarity? The only target that the algorithm pays attention to is in OP5 110 to 150. If you feel unsafe at night then you can change the target to higher than 110.

Carb ratio, target range, activity feature. These are the only things that you can change. You can manually bolus corrections when needed to add to TDD.

Just my own opinion. I’m not a expert or anything.

1 Like