New Dexcom G6 user -- can someone define exactly what xDrip+ does?

I see a lot of talk about xDrip+ here (I’m on Android) but can’t seem to find a very clear, exact description of precisely what it is and why I would want it. It looks like it does some cool things but I’m not really clear.

Can someone explain it very clearly to someone who has no idea what it is? I’m very tech-savvy, just don’t know anything about xDrip+.

Thanks!

4 Likes

It is replacement software for the Dexcom supplied software. It allows you to customize many more things such as what data you see, how that data is processed, and it allows you to ignore things like the programmed end date for the Dexcom hardware without going through Faraday cage gymnastics to extend the life of a sensor. It also allows you to extend the life of the transmitters.

4 Likes

Ah, awesome, thanks. I’d like to try it. Does it also enable you to not have the Urgent Low sound happen when the phone is muted? That would be amazing – it’s the worst thing about the G6 for me at this point (I’m only a week in).

Total newbie here: Is there a step-by-step guide for how I can install it?

Never mind, found it.

I am honestly not sure. @docslotnick is our resident expert. Here is a link to one of his posts where he talks about installing it.

Thank you – just started the calibration process. Man, this app is years and years ahead of the bare bones Dexcom one - so good!

I wonder what’s stopping Dexcom from making their app as deep and customizable as xDrip+? No matter – we have xDrip+. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe what is stopping them has three letters…give me an F, a D, and an A.

2 Likes

Probably true. :-/

1 Like

I know I am responding to a super old post, sorry about that! I am wondering if you found an answer to this. I am newish to Dexcom and those loud alerts put my kid into panic mode every single time. I would love to shut them up.

To change the topic slightly, I am grateful to have found this forum. It’s so nice to feel less alone. I’ve been Type 1 for 27 years, on a pump for 15, CGM user for a year-ish and have found that the more technology and supports advance, the less my normal is understood by those around me. It’s nice to have found all of you.

1 Like

Hi Trisha,

This forum seems to be a lot less populated than it has been, for whatever reason. :slight_smile:

With xDrip+ you don’t need to be a slave to the blaring alarm when you go super low, etc., etc. It’s a night and day difference with flexibility and customizability from the G6 app – there’s really no comparison.

The downside I’ve found is that it takes more maintenance and you need to go deeper to set it up properly. The forum here can help with that, though like I said there’s not a lot of action here recently which can be difficult.

Also, the recent Android 10 software has caused issues with xDrip+ (on Samsung phones, anyway), and I’m not sure if it’s been remedied yet. I’ve been without it since this issue and it’s been painful being back on the prehistoric G6 app.

It’s such a massively better experience than the G6 app, so it can be worth the extra work, in my opinion.

Thanks for the information. I am nervous about taking on an app I don’t really understand, but it does sound like what I’d like.

I’ll be reading more old threads when I get brave enough to try it, I’m sure! Thanks!

Tuesday, 07 January 2020, 11:32AM -07:00 from Headlands via FUDiabetes fudiabetes@discoursemail.com:

Hey Chris, you may have seen my posts regarding the whole extending the life of your sensors and transmitters with xDrip+. I just started 11 days ago and my sensor stopped on day 10 with the xDrip+ app. I am devastated because nothing I try works. Can you help me? I am walking around with my sensor still because I am determined to make this work…LOL Yes, I am stubborn!

1 Like

WHERE?? I need a step by step for xDrip+

Unfortunately, I am not an XDrip+ expert, but our experts have reported restarting every kind of G6 sensor, so i am hopeful for you. Here are the latest instructions.

1. stop sensor on phone & receiver (or wait until session ends)
    2. use a test strip or thin card to pop transmitter out of old sensor (still in your body) - there is a hidden clip in middle of sensor - try to get it to raise up slightly on both sides and the transmitter will come out.
    3. wait at least 30 minutes (longer is ok)
    4. snap transmitter back in old sensor on receiver & phone, start new sensor session using original code
1 Like

My daughter and I did this last night AND IT WORKED!!! Thank you!

1 Like

Glad to be of service.

1 Like