New BlueJay GTS Watch!

I only have access to Libre 1 CGM and the miaomiao3 transmitter.

Can I still use the BlueJay GTS as a collector and it would transmit all info to the phone’s xDrip app including calibrations?

Unlikely. It looks like they are dead; there’s no G7 support and I don’t think the web site has been updated in any meaningful way for over a year. The watch has to directly support the CGM to do what is being discussed here, that requires continuous dev work. It may be that the watch can, in fact, support the latest xDrip+ which does support the G7 (finally, only as of a couple of weeks ago) and maybe your config.

The best bet before buying a BlueJay (unless you are like me and buy this ■■■■ whenever it is reduced to 70%…) is to install xDrip+ on a 'phone, get it to work with your kit and then consider whether you can put up with a third device.

3 Likes

Hello all. New here and excited there is a watch that connects directly to the dexcom. I am also sad I did not find this thread earlier!! With that said, can anyone confirm if they have been able to connect the g7 to this watch?

1 Like

Hello, @Diab1 and welcome to FUD!

I checked on the Github site where Dripx+ support is located and found a thread on this subject:

with this reply by Bluejay support to an inquiry:

“The current watch model GTS does not have the capacity to decode the signal
from the G7. We are working on a new model that will handle the G7, no firm
results yet, we will note your interest and update you with any progress.”

No biggy for me since I am happy with the G6 and waiting for the shake-out period on the G7 to resolve all the problems. The phone app does work with G7 already, and the developer is actively discussing problem reports of any kind on Github. But the reply from Bluejay support is open-ended about how long a redesign might take. I love the Bluejay and will hope the new one is ready before Dexcom forces us all to the G7.

4 Likes

Thanks for the response Randy, I just got the same message from bluejay support on the G7.

Question on the GTS that has not been answered by support yet. Does the GTS watch allow for monitoring levels on the drip app from my phone?

Example. My son will wear the watch and we can monitor his levels, when in school, from the watch or will he need his phone nearby for us to be able to monitor his levels still?

1 Like

I am pretty sure he will still need to have his phone nearby.

But the nice thing about the watch is that it still lets you use your phone as normal, and you don’t need to constantly take your phone out to look at it. You can see your number on the watch, which is easier.

But if he is also using a pump that connects to his Dexcom, it gets more complicated because then you can only use one other device - watch or phone.

@Diab1 I don’t know the answer to that. I first used the phone as the connection to the G6 transmitter and the watch getting the data from the phone, but quickly reversed that to improve the capture ratio and so I could leave the phone behind to charge or whatever. I hope it works with the phone as primary contact, so we can continue to use the Bluejay. But since the phone would be the primary connector it would always have to be in range, with the watch getting the data from the phone.

Since Dexcom has always used its unsuspecting customers as beta testers I am waiting for things to stabilize before switching to the G7. There are already two generations of G7s out there, with the first one not working with the Tandem pump, and they have made changes to the BlueTooth software to up the output and range, possibly affecting storage and battery life, so I am not in a hurry to make the change.

1 Like

I guess that means I will be getting whatever new watch they create that works with the G7.
And while my GTS watch works well, I got it when new, and I am rough on watches! It shows the signs of wear.
Hopefully they don’t change the charging thing AGAIN. (Unless is does something nice like wireless charging, etc.)

3 Likes

Please post about it, if/when they come out with a new version! I don’t go to the BlueJay website enough to know when they have new stuff coming out.

3 Likes

What’s the consensus here? It appears as said above that the bluejay is dead and not coming back. None are in stock on their own website.

What else is out there for a no frills no fuss cgm watch receiver without me having to become a tech wizard to use it?

I am waiting for the Bluejay replacement they are “working on.” May never happen, but the current Bluejay may work with the phone connecting to the G7 and sending the data on to the watch. The xDrip+ phone software already has G7 included. No tech wizardry, just some settings to change and reboot.

By the time we are all forced to change to G7 maybe your oldest kid will reach 14 and automatically be a tech wizard. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They aren’t dead as far as I can tell because I just received my new GTS watch Feb 1st 2024.
Did you ever solve the issue of the watch getting a line through the readings and not picking up new ones?

I’m in the same boat where after a while I get a line through them and they don’t seem to update. When I power cycle the watch it seems to fix the problem. Is the line through the reading just an indication that it hasn’t been updated in a while?

2 Likes

Hi @JohnDoe
Welcome to FUD.

Whenever I have that problem, I just turn it off and back on. I don’t really know what the cause is, but that seems to fix it.

Welcome to FUD @JohnDoe! Yes, the line means the watch is not getting updated and that was the most recent number but it’s warning you that that number could be hours old. In my experience most of that was caused by the phone or phone software, and went away on the watch when I made the watch the primary collector, relaying data on to the phone.

I do always have to wear the watch on the arm where my Dexcom G6 sensor is, but the range otherwise seems fine.

I was just able to order a new one from their site too after seemingly months of them being out of stock. So hopefully they’re back on track

3 Likes

Mine just showed up last week, it does look like they are out of stock on the website again today though

3 Likes

Glad to see people are getting their watches.

Thanks everyone for letting me know that the line is essentially a “connection loss” indicator
It’s frustrating because it occurs sometimes even when the watch is super close to the sensor it won’t fix itself but when you power cycle it seem to fix itself quickly. So I wish it knew to soft restart itself if it can’t get a connection for 30 minutes or something along those lines.

Well, almost 3 years later and my GTS died yesterday.
The battery life was really acting up the last week. Discharging very fast.
I thought this was a result of changing things around for it not being a collector anymore (I now use the G7, which the watch will not work with.)

Yesterday I put my watch on the charger at work, the battery was around half. When I went to take it off the charger, it was completely dead, no response to any inputs, etc.

Sure hope they release a new watch that is compatible with the Dexcom G7. I really dislike having to tote my phone around with me when I am working on things I would rather not have my phone around.

Still, three years of ROUGH use for a pretty inexpensive smart watch that has worked as a collector 24/7 for that time is a pretty good track record in my book!

3 Likes

Small update.
The watch didn’t really die.
I think that charger that I was hooking it up to died.
I plugged it into another charger I had at home the next day and it started right up. Not sure why it wouldn’t start any other way, it still had half a battery charge!

Either way, it is up and running.
I am still having battery issues. I barely make it 12 hours now.
I do not have it trying to collect, it only shows me info from my phone, and I have the phone collecting.
And during the day I have the phone close, so I know the connection is great.

Ah well, still can’t wait until the next BlueJay watch comes out that supports the G7.

2 Likes