Neuropathy and a potential cure

I have terrible neuropathy in both my feet, lower legs around my ankles as well as my feet (and gastropareses). I have tried everything on the planet to rid myself of this curse. Often, i might trying standing up from bed or a sitting position and i would fall over bc i could not feel my feet touching the floor. I would just collapse. I even have had some accidents. Once i fell so hard that i broke all the metatarsal bones in my right foot. It took nearly a year to heal.

Well, most doctors i’ve seen say “there’s notyhing i can do for you,” but i have found an incredible solution. Im new to it so I dont mean to proselytize or sound like i have found the solution, bc i havent. But i have found something that has been working for me without one episode in two months. ALPHA LIPOIC ACID (600mg) I know its only a dietary supplement, but ever since i started taking it, i have not experienced any neuropathy at all.

I hope this helps someone struggling with this miserable issue.

DM

13 Likes

ALA is the one supplement that I know works. Supposedly it also improves insulin sensitivity, don’t know about that. It is really good for nerve health.

I’ve been taking it for years. If I run out I will start getting nerve misfiring in my lower legs after a week without.

7 Likes

I hope this is true. It would be very nice to not need much insulin and have better results from all the work i put into keeping my A1c and stable BGs.

2 Likes

@daisymae Thank you for your post. Has given me pause to think. I have a bit of Neuropathy in my feet but it’s bad only for a couple days & then goes away. Wondering about it’s use with Generalized Myasthenia Gravis (gMG) seems I was misdiagnosed some 35-40 years ago & I actually have some order Neuromuscular Disorder. Symptoms are the same so I don’t care what they call it.

@CarlosLuis wondering what dose you are taking? Also I have found it in stock but usually is mixed I.E. Nature’s Lab CoQ10 200 mg + Alpha Lipoic Acid + Acetyl L-Carnitine… any recommendation?

3 Likes

300mg twice a day. I use this one.

I get it on Amazon. I use to get it locally but it just disappeared from the shelves. Once again Amazon gets my custom.

5 Likes

Thank you!

@SobeiT et al, I’ll have to keep this in mind, no issues as yet, but I recall reading about ALA a while back. @SobeiT The mixed dose may not be bad, though I’d recommend confirming/discussing with a doc; my PCP put me on CoQ10 200mg to counter potential muscle spasm impacts of Atorvastatin, if you’re on it, though I’m not sure about ALC you mention.

1 Like

I am taking 80mg Atorvastatin seems best to wait for my Endo appointment on the 19th.

I know there in no Underdog Super Energy Pill but seeking any improvement for fatigue I can get.

Short List last Neurologist appointment:

Electromyography and Nerve Conduction Study Report:

Description:
Patient is a 64-year-old man presents with hearing loss, Dupuytren’s contracture, ptosis, eyelid lift surgery, external ophthalmoplegia for electrodiagnostic evaluation.

Sensory nerve conduction studies of the right median, ulnar, superficial peroneal (both), sural nerves showed no evoked response. The right radial nerve shows low evoked response and slow conduction velocity…

Conclusion:
This is a grossly abnormal study. There is electrophysiological evidence of

1. Chronic sensorimotor polyneuropathy.
  2. Myopathy of the proximal and distal innervated muscles.

There is no electrophysiological evidence of neuromuscular junction disorder such as myasthenia gravis, or Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndrome.

:joy: I’d settle for a really good vitamin :grin:

EDIT:

:rofl: How can you trust a doctor that didn’t even include Diabetes Mellitus in his description :rofl:

2 Likes

ALA infusions are given post chemotherapy to repair neuropathy in cancer patients. And then in supplements.

I’ve been using it for years, to prevent neuropathy. It DOES increase insulin sensitivity, if you use it consistently.

I’m at 600 mg/day of R-Lipoic Acid, it’s more active than ALA (learned that from Dr Bernstein’s book).

I hope you continue to heal!

2 Likes

Wow that is a lot more expensive than the Alpha Lipoic Acid I take.

2 Likes

It totally is, I know! But, R-ALA or R-LA is super strength compared to ALA. I had to slowly get to my current dose. So you might need less and get better results.

I also add more biotin to my diet (supplements), as ALA can somehow deprive the body of biotin. I forget the mechanism. Nothing dramatic, though.

3 Likes

Is this the same as ALA Time Release? I cant find the R ALA online

Nope. So ALA is the combined mirror-image molecules of R-lipoic acid and S-lipoic acid. You can think of them as left and right.

R-lipoic acid is the form naturally found in the body and some foods.

S-lipoic acid is a synthetic byproduct created during ALA production (from what I’ve read, but don’t quote me on that!)

There are several brands, here’s what I use these days:

BESTVITE R-Lipoic Acid 200mg

I take 1 capsule 3X/day. But I started on 1, 100mg per day, working on up. I know folks who take up to a total of 1500mg/day, but right now I’m good here for me.

1 Like

I heard good things about this one, it includes the biotin. However, I prefer to take biotin separately, as I have to stop biotin a couple days before bloodwork due to interference.

Jarrow Formulas R-Alpha Lipoic Acid 100 mg With Biotin

1 Like

Thanks, but im looking for the 600mg tabs and cant find them anywhere. And even the 300mgs are soooo expensive.

1 Like

Hm, I don’t think I’ve ever seen higher than 300 mg per capsule for R-LA, because it’s so potent.

I agree it does seem expensive per mg.

But given R-LA has been found to be 10-12X more potent that ALA (R & S), I’d rather not pay for the less active/S-portion of the capsule. In some studies, S-LA was found to hinder the important effects of R-LA.

I prefer to evaluate the cost based on how much benefit I’ll see. So if I need only 1/10 the amount to see more benefit, I factor that into the cost equation.

What test does biotin interfere with?

2 Likes

Oh, apparently it’s used as the assay for several tests! This came out about 5 or 6 years ago?

Thyroid bloodwork is a big one, it can skew the results high or low. That’s dangerous, of course.

Each lab is different so always ask. Quest, for example, lists these for its labs:

2 Likes

Thanks, how long to you omit it before labs?. Currently I’m getting labs including thyroid every 2 weeks.

1 Like

My Endo says 2 full days, so that’s what I do.

The amount in a typical multivitamin won’t have an effect, but extra supplementation beyond that (as in Hair-Skin-Nails), should be avoided.

2 Likes