My Favorite Lancing Device

thanks for posting this. I found myself in this situation once and I’ve made certain ever since to have (many) back-up meters.

Also, I used to have this( miserable idiot)endo, who I stayed with for way to many years, who would give me loads of samples (probably one of the reasons I stayed with him :rofl:). I got tons of Insulin, meters, test strips, etc. All for free. Unfortunately, they were all manufactured by One Touch, notoriously the WORST meters EVER. completely inaccurate. Now I use the Bayer Contour Next One meter, and I am one very satisfied customer. I think I must have about 6 of them.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is my main meter as well. And I have one backup at work. And two other Contour Next meters that use the same strips in my cupboard.

The Precision Neo tests glucose and ketones and is flat and weighs almost nothing. So that’s the one I carry around in my backpack with my backup pump supplies.

3 Likes

who makes the Neo? Is it like ketone sticks? or is it a regular type of meter that also tests ketones?

It’s made by Abbott. It takes the same strips as the Freestyle Libre and OmniPod (or Precision Xtra). Like the Precision Xtra, it can check both blood glucose and blood ketones.

1 Like

I had a good laugh at the Softclix link that was posted.

On that page they tell me that the Softclix lancet works with these BG meters!

Oh crap, I don’t have the right BG meter. I guess I can’t use it. :rofl:

No wonder this disease confuses people!

5 Likes

So does your homemade lancing device work with a chapstick brand meter?

Neat project btw, thanks for linking it.

2 Likes

My favorite lancing device is the original “FreeStyle Lancing Device” (not to be mistaken with “FreeStyle Lancing Device II”)
I like it since it’s small, shorter in length than other lancets, and I grew up using it all the time so just feels the most comfortable.

I guess they stopped selling them? On amazon they’re going for $60?!?

And on Abbott’s website, it seems they only ship to singapore?

Sorry I guess my post just isn’t helpful anymore :joy:

5 Likes

I might have one of these… I could use $60!!

3 Likes

That’s what I use, too, but $60 is crazy!

2 Likes

One Touch for me.

I think a lot has to do with the fact I used to test 10+ times a day and I have thousands of lancets from my initial prescription refills. I don’t think I’ve filled the rx for the past several years.

And now I test a few times a day, if that, reusing my lancets. I’m in the group who changes my lancet about once every month or two (or three or four)!

5 Likes

This is funny, bc this is one of the ones I didn’t care for. I LOVE the small compact size, but I didn’t like the spring “pull-back” slide. I found myself just fumbling with it. the one that I love a lot is a very old style from OneTouch. it is very similar, but it has a little “lip” which is raised in order to push the spring back. its very simple.( sorry I don’t know how to post a picture) It also has a rotating cap which allows u to customize the depth of ur injection. (this amuses me, bc I dislike OneTouch products :rofl: .)

4 Likes

I haven’t found very reliable accuracy with the Abbott meters I have tried. And I also use their FSLibre (which has a meter built in to it, which isn’t accurate either. )

I think I’ve read that Abbot meters are relatively accurate compared to other brands. However, I don’t use them for blood glucose testing, only for blood ketone testing. Recently, a few other brands of blood/breath meter have come out for ketone testing, but I don’t really trust those because they’re aimed at dieters, not the Type 1 diabetes market like the Abbott ketone products. (The FreeStyle Libre meter also has ketone testing capabilities, you just need to buy the special ketone strips.)

4 Likes

I didn’t even know that :crazy_face: and I wear the FSLibre CGM. so glad that u mentioned that. My endo just prescribed more K-sticks for me so I would have them in the house in case of emergency (particularly bc of this pandemic). I haven’t had them around in years. I know that I should, but its kinda like the way I change my lancets…once a year??? (or whenever one no longer works)

1 Like

Did he prescribe the urine sticks, or the blood ketone test strips? I think there are a few other meters that can test blood ketones, but not sure. I don’t get prescriptions for either type of ketone strip, but blood is supposed to be much more accurate than urine.

2 Likes

I’m certain that you are right about that. blood seems to b the most accurate for measuring anything. but, my cue prescribed the urin sticks. I think they’re just for emergencies. (sick days, etc.)

1 Like

The Soft Clix is My favorite. Had to order my last one from Israel. Lasted for years and I loved the adjustment range. As my jobs changed and my hands grew tougher I could select deeper penetration.

4 Likes

Can you still order them in Israel for a reasonable amount of $? Lots of people love that lancer. Welcome to our community!

2 Likes

The softclix is available on AZM.

Oh it is, I think there was a time where they weren’t producing it for some time and the price was outrageous. The $14 it is there for now is nice. I know there were people for whom the Fastclix doesn’t work and they were trying to find the softclix. Thanks for the heads up

1 Like