MongoDB add on

I just received an email today saying this will no longer work in November. I would like this to remain free. In a nutshell, what are my options? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Yes, I received this email, too. From the responses Iā€™ve seen thus far (on gitter, FB, zulipchat, etc.), many are aware of this and it is expected to be addressed. We have until Nov to migrate so hopefully this will give NS dev/support team enough time to provide a solution!

1 Like

Count me in as being concerned. I would prefer to save my historical data and migrate to something free\inexpensive if possible. Nightscout has been an invaluable tool for me.

2 Likes

Have you tried https://app.tidepool.org ? I think itā€™s worth a try. To start a local nightscout-server would be also possible.

1 Like

Hi @Wolf I do use Tidepool and itā€™s a great program. My Endo takes reports from both Tidepool and Nightscout remotely for our visits.

1 Like

JFYI, I migrated my mLab database to MongoDB Atlas last night. It is working great. I followed the instructions in the mLab email for the migration to Atlas.

@elver, Atlas is free (for 0.5Gb storage), just make sure you select the free (M0) cluster.

1 Like

@Trying I donā€™t see to have (or be able to locate is probably closer to the truth) a migration email from MLab. Is that something you would be willing to share (minus personal details).

Did you lose any data/have to perform any sort of back up in the migration process?

2 Likes

@elver the following is the content of the email;
The mLab team has chosen to discontinue this add-on. The mLab MongoDB add-on will be removed from all Heroku apps on November 10, 2020 . We advise you to remove the mLab MongoDB add-on yourself before September 1, 2020 via the Dashboard or the CLI.

Next Steps

You may wish to consider an alternative add-on from the Heroku Elements marketplace. As of the date of this email, ObjectRocket makes available an add-on on the Heroku Elements Marketplace that you may wish to consider. For customers considering remaining with mLab/Atlas, information can be found here.

Please note that the ObjectRocket for MongoDB add-on is not provided by Salesforce or Heroku. Salesforce makes no warranties or guarantees regarding this add-on, and it is defined as a ā€œNon-SFDC Applicationā€ in the Master Subscription Agreement found at https://hello.heroku.com/e/36622/company-msa-jsp/lv2qdz/961660285?h=AW6T3SXCo9_yIUarc_zSqZ0GfY-idBwV3oqtMJFbI7c. You should undertake your own evaluation of this add-on and determine whether it is suitable for your specific business needs. Please contact ObjectRocket directly to find out more information.

1 Like

@elver But follow the HERE instructions for the Atlas migration.

Step-by-Step Guide to Migrating:

The only issue I ran into was executing the mongo shell command in the Test Stage. Make sure you put quotes around your connection string. And also, make sure you set Database Access - Database User Privileges for to Atlas Admin. That setting is located at cloud.mongodb.com once you login with your imported credentials (from mLab).

1 Like

No, I did not lose any data - all 200+Mb were migrated to the new Atlas cluster. No, I didnā€™t take any backup because mLab really acts as the backup. As a last stage of the migration process you are prompted to delete you mLab database. Iā€™ve yet to do this but Iā€™ve already confirmed Nightscout is working properly with the new Atlas DB. I can delete the mLab anytime.

1 Like

Oy! Glad I have until Novemberā€¦

1 Like

I think they say that mLab will begin shutting down in September though. I forget their exact wording, but better to get it migrated by September. It really was rather straightforward and they provide good instructions in the link I included previously. It should only take an hour or so.

1 Like

That is probably very true once I understand all the various steps (and missteps) and terminology. I need to interpret the technival terms and understand the big picture view of the process before beginning. This sort of thing is definitely not in my comfort zone due to a lack of experience.

1 Like

JFYI, someone posted the following link on the Loop and the CGM in the Cloud FB pages. It is a step by step guide with screenshots of the process to migrate from mLab to Atlas.

2 Likes

@Trying so I bit the bullet and did my migration last night (successfully I think) and my Nightscout site is up and running. I have 2 questions though that possibly you can help me with? I have no clue re: server stuff.

1. how do I validate Iā€™m running on the Atlas site? I did the maintenance mode on my Heroku page and everything still worked post migration.

2. how do i go about deleting the old install without compromising the new install. I saw directions on the bouncing ball migration instructions, but there was less info than for the migration and I donā€™t want to bork the Atlas install.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay in responding!!

Check Atlas:
Login to https://cloud.mongodb.com/ and select Clusters - Collections - ā€˜entriesā€™. Enter the following in the Filter textbox:
{ dateString: { $gte: ā€œ2020-08-26T00:00:00.000Zā€ } }

The resulting records should correspond to the data you see in NS.

Also, make sure that entriesā€™ Total Documents (shown next to your database name) is larger than your total documents shown in Mlab account.

You can delete the source by clicking ā€œDelete Serverā€ or ā€œDelete Clusterā€ from the source mLab deploymentā€™s UI page. Select your database under Deployment then select the Delete Database button in the upper right.

1 Like