Miaomiao apps

Quick question.

I’ve been using xDrip+ and Miaomiao for a year. xDrip+ gives readings every 5 minutes. Do any other apps (like tomato, spike, glimp) give readings from the Miaomiao every single minute?

For context, I have now developed a wearable app from scratch that talks to my Miaomiao directly. In working with the protocol I have discovered that the Libre generates a new (and pretty accurate) reading every minute. I’ve referred to the source code, and xDrip+ definitely receives these readings, but it just shoehorns them into 5-minute blocks.

(I’ve always found it really frustrating to wait 5 minutes when significant things are happening; it never occurred to me that actual sensor provided data 5 times as often. This is great!)

This has made me curious about the other apps. From screenshots it looks like tomato and spike also show one dot every 5 minutes like xDrip? Is this true with Miaomiao? How about glimp?

P.S. thanks to this process I have also discovered that giving xDrip+ a calibration in the first 6-12 hours of a new sensor actually mucks up the calibration for a few days. I’ve now delayed calibrations on two sensors and have had a much sweeter ride.

2 Likes

It’s over a year now since I used Miaomiao & Spike so my recollection is not there on whether Spike would let you do this. If I still had a useable version of Spike on my phone I’d check but alas I’m way out of date haha.

I do vaguely remember that there was discussion about it on one of the Facebook groups and the conclusion was basically that reading every minute was likely going to be problematic for all batteries involved (concern being mostly the Libre sensor, but the MM and your phone are also going to be impacted though they can recharge). Typically I’m pretty sure the MM reads every 5 minutes and receives all 5 of those readings at once instead of reading once per minute, though I could be a wrong there. This was with regards to the original Miaomiao and Libre sensors though I’m not sure if it would be different for the newer stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks very much!

Before I say anything else, half of my question is simply about display - do you see a dot per 5 minutes or per minute (honestly dots per minute are so close together it looks like a continuous curve. Which I find more informative.)

I think the main reason that xDrip et al. don’t do this is simply to not have to rewrite code that works for the typical 5-minute sensors.

So far there are no battery issues.

I ran Libre for 14.5 days getting a reading every minute. (Hopefully this is consistent with more Libres but we will see.)

I get ~48 hours of operation on my watch which is pretty darn good for its specs. Admittedly this is after some optimisation (e.g. getting readings every 2-4 minutes; though the user can tap the screen for the latest.) There is no phone involved, my watch app does all of the work.

I haven’t properly measured how often the MM needs charging yet but probably a while because I can’t remember the last time I charged it…

The Miaomiao can read the Libre as often as the phone/watch app asks it to.

2 Likes

You can change the oop algorithm to read more often, but you have to remember that it is still reading interstitial fluid and although the algorithms help with delays, it is still delayed…even glucose monitors can have a ±70 mg/DL variance during meals or insulin injections. And you should never calibrate during meals or insulin injections, strictly during fasting… plus the more frequent readings will drain your batteries quicker

1 Like

One more comment because you are probably concerned with how long the directional arrows take to change, especially during hypoglycemia… eating or drinking dextrose or glucose and water will vastly improve how long it takes to see those arrows change. a candy bar or donut will take maybe 30-60 minutes due to the sugar and fat combo, where dextrose, glucose tabs or gels, or smarties/sweet tarts will be closer to 15-30 minutes

1 Like

I have written a CGM app from scratch… I already knew this :stuck_out_tongue:

No, they don’t—at least, xDrip+ doesn’t, it has no predictive algorithm (except for the lame exponential-decay “time till hypo” estimation). I’ve created a MMSE algorithm myself, which has very robust prediction but the Libre is accurate enough that I don’t need it anymore. The lag behind fingerstick BG is much smaller compared to Dexcom.

I’ve never used the directional arrows, I find the graph more informative. I don’t understand why xDrip automatically modifies the aspect ratio of this graph, it is utterly retarded.

Under xdrip+ extra settings there are options for predictive simulation settings and the predictions show up In purple, and I use these all if the time. I also had issues with libre readers giving false lows when I took ibuprofen or naproxen sodium, which I did not have with xdrip+… however, I am not able to code my own app, and your app is probably better since the oop algorithm and calibration on xdrip+ doesn’t seem the same as without the oop algorithm… which is needed for the u.s. 14 day sensor

Whoooaaaa I guess I’ve been using xDrip so long I became blind to that feature when it arrived… being obstinate is a blessing and a curse.
Thanks…

1 Like

Hi OP,

I’d love to collaborate with you on the app that you were building. I’ve started using Libre Pro and MiaoMiao just recently and would love to squeeze out every bit of data that they have to provide.

1 Like

I probably can’t make much of a commitment right now but tell me a bit more about what your goals are?

I have made an app in C for the Samsung Galaxy watch. It is not a developer-friendly platform and when I go to areas with lots of people, the bluetooth stops detecting the Miaomiao and I have to restart the watch sometimes to get it to reconnect. Apart from this it meets my needs even though it’s very unfinished.

1 Like

I’m looking to build something that provides better predictions, possibly getting data every minute from the sensor than every 5 minutes.

I’m a UX Designer with a background in programming. I believe I can add some value to what is already out there. Can you tell me more about your app?