Memorable pump changes on the fly

Have any of you had memorable pump changes on the fly?

I just had to change a failed pod with an audience in a Travel Center of America rest stop bathroom. I could feel the curious stares and kept myself from making an inappropriate joke about getting the most out of my heroine.

Otherwise I’ve had a pod fail as soon as our pediatrician came in the exam room for my boys. That day involved a whole lotta ■■■■ show so the perfectly timed pod failure just capped it off.

I packed lightly for diabetes failures for this trip so hopefully I’m done with issues.

6 Likes

One day during the summer (when I was ridiculously busy, 14 hour days often) I nearly ran out of insulin and had to take a long lunch to pick it up at a pharmacy across town. I ended up doing a cartridge change in the middle of my very small night class (with like 8 people in it + teacher) with everyone around me VERY confused. The professor for that class had the Omnipod though and made no pause in her lecture, saving me from questions haha. This was before the t:slim, I’m sure the tubing-fill beeping would be harder to ignore.

4 Likes

A few years back, I accidentally ripped off my site while getting on the bus for my morning commute. I don’t remember how it happened, but thr ride was going to take at least 45 minutes.

I ended up replacing it with a new one while the bus was on the freeway. I’m honestly not even sure if anybody noticed!

3 Likes

While visiting parents shortly after starting pump, I did a change showing them how it worked. My dad was surprised. He had thought my pump was internally, surgically placed in my abdomen, since I had referred to it as being like my new pancreas.

5 Likes

I changed one at a cafe table in the Denver airport once! :scream_cat::smiley_cat:

2 Likes

Back home. No other failures during the trip, thankfully!