Maybe I should use SkinTac on sets in summer

Yesterday after a really nice bike ride, I ended with BG around 92mg/dl. I changed out of cycling kit and bolused for a @Daisymae Boost. I did a couple of errands and had a treat, 2 Crossroads tacos at Torchy’s Tacos. I notice that my BG was rising and did the bolus while waiting. I ate and continued crossing off stuff on my list. I was in Sam’s Club and saw that my BG was 155mg/dl and rising. Went to the restroom, found my site had pulled loose. My skin felt like the bolus was on the skin not inside.

I used my back up syringe and vial and injected the bolus amount plus a bit to make up for the lack of basal.

This happened once before with the site on my outer thigh, under the Lycra cycling shorts, but only once in 18 months of using a pump and riding regularly.

My sets are usually tightly stuck and I have to work to get them off.

Anyway, it is a good idea to have backup when away from home. I had to turn insulin delivery off and set the reminder to the max of one hour. Since I wasn’t able to install a new set for several hours, I would have to resume insulin and then stop it.

Murphy”s Law, “Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.”

5 Likes

Great to have a back-up!

2 Likes

I forget if it was you that posted about using a syringe to draw insulin out of a pump in an emergency. Since then I’ve been carrying 2 syringes in each kit, the cycling one has no vial so I would draw out of the pump cartridge. The other has a vial in a neat silicone protector.

3 Likes

I do the same, carry a syringe, but usually not extra insulin. I figure I can withdraw the insulin from the bad pod if necessary. I learned this trick here on FUD, too, from either @Eric or @Chris.

The humid, hot NY summer does a number on my pods, too. They can fall completely off during a run. I don’t have an issue with them coming loose in the winter!

2 Likes

Yeah, one of those smart guys.:star_struck::star_struck:

2 Likes

I bought a 4" wide roll of Tegaderm and use patches of that to keep infusion sets and my Dexcom G6 attached. Otherwise I sweat them off riding, working out, doing yard work or whatever. The sweat that makes the site come loose comes up from underneath the patch, so a tape that lets that water pass on through would probably be better, but the Tegaderm adhesive works and I am not allergic to it.

I don’t carry a backup kit, but it seems that a spare infusion set and alcohol pad would be about the same bulk to carry as a syringe. I carried a small battery charger for my Tandem pump until I got used to keeping it well charged, and sometimes still do.

3 Likes