Infusion site leaking

My pre-lunch BG was pretty high (in the 200s ) so I had to do a pretty large bolus to correct and cover the carbs. When the pump had administered about two-thirds of the bolus, I noticed that my infusion site was wet. Apparently, it was leaking, so I quickly stopped the bolus and changed the infusion site. Then I bolused the remaining amount plus a random guess how much insulin had leaked out. Now I’ll probably end up with a high BG level because it’s unlikely that my guess was accurate. Very frustrating. What would you do in this situation?

2 Likes

Probably over-estimate with some sugary snacks on standby.

3 Likes

It would depend on what activity was to follow.

Driving / sleeping - guess on the side that would likely lead to higher BG. Check again in 2~3 hrs (or when possible) and add another correction as appropriate.

Activity where you can easily watch the cgm (or feel a low) and correct the BG with snacks? Guess on the side that would likely lead to lower BG.

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: What do you feel when you drop fast from a high?

I’d set my temp basal up to +50% for 3 hours, then be ready to turn it down as soon as I notice a drop starting. This way I can adjust the basal down as needed, whereas a big bolus correction, once made, cannot be undone.
[EDIT] posted before your post on the BG drop.

2 Likes

This has happened to us before but it sounds like you addressed the issue (pump site that had come out, or become faulty) in time! We didn’t figure out what was wrong with Liam the last time it happened to us until he was reading HIGH (over 500) on the PDM. :frowning: Once we figured it out, we immediately gave him an MDI, then replaced the pump site. I don’t think you were SO HIGH that it would warrant an MDI, but definitely changing out the site ASAP, then administering the full insulin, plus some extra if you’re heading up double arrows, that you had missed out on and as has been mentioned already, make sure you have some fast carbs nearby in case you begin to crash.

1 Like

No one has asked what TYPE of infusion set. I used to use infusion sets that had all sorts of defects. For the last many years I’ve used Sure-T’s. Very less likely to have a defect such as leakage, than some others such as Quick Sets

I don’t experience leakage very often, but I use the Mio sets.

that’s a cannula type set. try Sure-T’s.

Leakages are very rare, so I don’t see any reason to try something else.

1 Like

hmmm… yet you posted this thread? :slight_smile: You asked what we’d do in that situation and I told you–I’d change to a different type set. sigh.

[ADMIN COMMENT]: This post is open to negative interpretation. By being different we are stronger – but we attempt to make sure that disagreeing posts cannot be misconstrued as disrespectful.

I’d probably think twice about switching too, if my defect rate was very low.

2 Likes

Yes, because I experienced it today and since it happens so rarely I didn’t know what the best solution would be. That’s why I asked the community for advice. If they perhaps had a better solution than me.

Well you got my answer but you don’t like it.

[ADMIN COMMENT]: This post is open to negative interpretation. By being different we are stronger – but we attempt to make sure that disagreeing posts cannot be misconstrued as disrespectful.

We have never had “leakage” from the POD…the only leakage is when his POD cannula has accidently been ripped from his skin somehow…which has only happened once or twice that I can remember. Never any manufacturing issues that resulted in leakage.

1 Like

Well, it doesn’t help me deal with the leakage itself. What’s the best way to deal with a leakage when it occurs? Switching infusion sets is a long-term solution.
Secondly, it’s a rather drastic solution to a small problem. There are no perfect infusion sets, other infusion sets have their drawbacks so the solution might be worse than the problem.

1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: Moved