Emergency mini-syringe saves the night

I’ve shared this before, but since it saved our dinner last night, I think this gadget deserves another shout-out.

My wife and I went out for dinner last night, and my pod bonked. We had just finished appetizers, and were waiting on the main course.

She asked me if we needed to leave and go home.

Nope! I have a spare syringe with me in my pocket.

She asked me if I had a vial of insulin. I pulled my pod off right there in the restaurant and said, “Here is my vial…”
(Some people may not know, you can take insulin out of a pod, or any pump!)

Here is a picture of my emergency mini syringe and insulin “vial”:

Why is a syringe better for an emergency than a pen? Because a pen can only deliver insulin. A syringe can take insulin out, move it from one place to another, and deliver insulin.

If you use any pump, have something like this available! Even if it’s just a normal syringe.

13 Likes

I’ve been doing this for as long as I’ve been on pump, and have used syringe to get insulin from Medtronic pump reservoir. Except I use a standard 30 unit BD syringe. Will also work with Tandem cartridge. Never leave home without it.

I also always have backup infusion set whenever I’m out, just in case of pullout.

2 Likes

I had to first withdraw using same syringe/needle used to load cartridge.

1 Like

I’m considering switching from MDI to a pump (probably omnipod). Curious though, since you said you had great A1Cs on MDI, what influenced you to switch to pumping? Thanks

2 Likes

@psfud123 Thanks for your background and story! It demonstrates what many progressive Endo’s/Docs as well as T1s with CGM’s have said for years and the ADA is finally coming around to: A1C can hide widely varying BGs while indicating a good “average,” where as CGMs show the reality. I’m a big fan of TIR and GMI in addition to, or even a replacement of A1c, albeit there is a significant current cost for the tech. @GY_t1, please do the research and form your own opinion; but I think you’ll find there is wisdom in @psfud123’s story and many here will back it up.

3 Likes

On this occasion I was out with my wife for dinner.

Without insulin, I can’t eat dinner, or at least I can’t eat what I want for dinner. Or if I did eat, we would have to rush home right after dinner.

Sitting at a very nice restaurant and not being able to eat what I want diminishes the dining experience.

If I am not going to eat dinner, my wife certainly isn’t going to eat. She would rather go home than sit there in the restaurant eating dinner while I can’t. Being able to eat a normal dinner allowed her to do the same. So my diabetes did not affect her evening. That is always one of my goals, to not let it affect anyone else.

My emergency syringe made diabetes irrelevant. I was able to eat as I would normally. Diabetes was not a factor in the evening. So that’s how it saved the night.

I am not sure why my post about carrying an emergency syringe has provoked you.

14 Likes

I’m with you, Eric, be prepared in this small way allowed you to enjoy an evening, great coping skills. I added a syringe to my regular kit that I carry with me everywhere. As I am due for a cartridge change today, I will test whether I can draw insulin out of the cartridge with a fine, short needle.

5 Likes

I think the idea of using a small syringe is inventive, practical, and a great suggestion as an option. Kudos to @Eric! Since going on Dash pumps and G6, I’ve stopped carrying my “kit” (Insulin pen, BG meter, meter strips, lancing device, needles, etc.) everywhere. It may just be I’ve gotten “used to” being T1 and now forego the “fear” factor. Instead, if going on a shopping trip, medical appt across town (town meaning the DC metro area), I mostly just take glucose tabs in a tube (quick/small/convenient, though a candy bar or soda would do), figuring I can get home relatively quickly (45 min +) if my pump fails. If its a “trip” of some length, or an important day/evening “event” I don’t want to interrupt, similar to @Eric, I stick my “kit” in the car, figuring I can get to it and “treat” myself. If we’re headed to our cabin for several days or a vacation, I take extra supplies (pods, sensors, pens, etc.).

7 Likes

What I have always loved about FUD is that it is a wonderful collection of badasses who generously share their successes and learning experiences so that others may benefit.

Everyone walks their own path. But we support each other along the way even WHEN our path is different for numerous reasons…chosen or involuntarily.

Mutual respect and open minded curiosity enrich these conversations.

11 Likes

I learned to carry always a syringe from your earlier post! I even carry one in my waist bag while running and biking.

5 Likes

I agree - if someone hear’s about something another diabetic has done successfully and with good results, they can see if it can be replicated. With my allergic reaction to Dexcom adhesive, I now know to use a Dexcom overpatch underneath and over top. Use a Skin Tac wipe over my skin first, then put the overpatch on. Let the Skin Tac dry and then it’s a piece of cake. Has saved me so much trouble and bad skin issues. Thank goodness for the fudiabetes forum!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

7 Likes

The last time I changed out a cartridge I couldn’t get any insulin out as it only show 4u. Today I drew out 15u with a regular 29 gauge insulin syringe.

This means one can get emergency insulin from a Tandem cartridge as long as one is careful to not bend the needle.

5 Likes

@Shecamp Sounds strange the Dexcom’s normal adhesive would cause a problem, the adhesive in their over patch would not. I assume their decision not to use one over the other is a cost avoidance? Or is it that some are allergic to one, and others allergic to the other?

2 Likes

Interesting TomH! I’m not allergic to the overpatches at all - use one under my Dexcom and over it as well. Never had a problem with the overpatch and they really make a difference for me. I think Dexcom changed their adhesive because the old one was causing the sensors to not last as long and they had to replace so many that didn’t stick. Personally was not allergic to the old adhesive at all.

Anyway, the only thing that works for me is this:

1. Use Skin Tac on my skin first
  2. Stick an overpatch on my skin
  3. Put the sensor on

I tell anyone who asks that Skin Tac and sensor overpatches are what I’ve used for at least 3 years. Interesting question if the adhesives are the same. Go figure!

1 Like

Just spitballing, perhaps it’s not the adhesive but what the patches are made from.

1 Like

No, it’s the Dexcom Adhesive. The overpatches have been a lifesaver. I use one under the Omnipod Dash I wear too.

I’ll usually just have a capped syringe with 10 units in it…just in case

2 Likes

I apologize if this has been covered before but with an Omnipod 5, am I correct to assume that you insert the syringe in the hole that the insulin was inserted in the first place?

3 Likes

Yes that is correct

3 Likes

Yep. I just do it exactly like it was an insulin vial with the syringe pointing up.

3 Likes