Low BG for nondiabetic?

Hey y’all,

A few weeks back, we moved our 18 year old son to college. After moving, we ate fast food for lunch. He ate a burger, fries, and probably 2 full sugar sodas. About 2 hours post meal, we noted he was hangry. We stopped at the campus dairy bar accordingly, but first tested his BG on my contour next meter. 64 mg/dl.

Apparently he had a similar episode last night, not feeling well, but was better after eating marshmallows.

We have sporadically tested BG in our kids, but never noticed anything too far off.

He hasn’t gotten into the doctor, but thought I’d ask the collective for thoughts, since it seems odd.

3 Likes

This was my experience from childhood. It is probably reactive hypoglycemia. I was never diagnosed with RH and self treated the worst way- candy bar or snack cake washed down with a Coke.

Something that works for RH is a carb restricted diet and a prepared mid meal snack that of nuts, cheese and a couple of crackers. It’s best if the snack is eaten before the onset of the hypo.

RH can be a precursor to type 2 insulin resistant diabetes, or not. It is a sign that one’s glucose regulation is not quite right.

If he waits till he’s hangry, the temptation is to eat every carb in the house. This sets up the pattern and of BG spiking high followed by high insulin secretion and a hypo.

Good wishes and luck.

4 Likes

Thank you @CarlosLuis. The RH seems to run in my wife’s family, several of them get hangry and don’t always know why they feel like that. Her grandfather always carried candy around, in her recollection… and did become T2 in his 80s

2 Likes

@mike_g While it might be what @CarlosLuis indicates, please note the questions in another topic about testing, it can’t hurt and is better “knowing” than guessing. I’d be surprised if “student health” at his campus didn’t have the capability to do screening tests and eval him for what might be a cause.

4 Likes