Severe nausea with "high" BG?

Does anyone else get nauseated every time they go “high” for any length of time - and not even that high? Anytime I’m above 120 for more than an hour, I feel so sick, I have to lay down until my BG starts coming down. Occasionally I’ll check for ketones when this happens, and it’s always negative. Had a failed eating out experiment today and I’m seriously paying for it. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

No. Perhaps there’s something else going on, other than your blood sugar levels, to cause severe nausea. That’s not even “high”. My recommendation is discuss this with a doctor and if they don’t know how to help, have them refer you to the specialty that they think should be looking into this. This is so far out of the norm. My WAG is see an internist, and go from there.

5 Likes

Agree with @dave – this does not sound normal. 120 is nowhere near high. 120 is a number a lot of people aim for. If I was 120 after eating, I’d be hugging strangers.

7 Likes

Thanks. I’ll be curious to see on a CGM what’s really going on with my blood sugar when this happens. If it turns out there’s nothing that could explain nausea, I’ll definitely get it checked out (and will mention it to my doctor the next time I see her, regardless).

3 Likes

Are you experiencing any other symptoms other than nausea? Shaking? Sweating? Feeling faint? etc.,? Definitely doesn’t sound like BG related to me…not at that low of a number. That’s “the dream” BG anytime of the day for a lot of us! 120!

2 Likes

No other symptoms, and today I’m staying around 160, though just now the nausea suddenly disappeared. I’m wondering if it’s ups and downs I’m not seeing (testing every hour) causing the nausea, and I’m not nauseated anymore as my BG has finally leveled out a bit.

ETA: I usually feel fine at 120 (or 130, 140…); it’s just that sometimes I’ll check and be between 120-130 after a meal, check at 2 or 3 hrs and still be at 120-130, so I’m suspecting it’s not that I’m staying there; it’s that I went higher and then dropped, and that’s why I’m nauseated even at such “low” numbers.

1 Like

@Pianoplayer7008 I hope you are feeling better. I get nauseated when I am high but that is if I stay long in the 200s, for instance if it takes more than one bolus to take me down. 120 is pretty low to feel sick.

Thanks, @Kaelan! I’m finally feeling better. I do wonder if part of the reason I feel sick at lower numbers is because I’m still honeymooning, so I don’t go high very often, and my body just isn’t used to even the lower “high” numbers that take multiple corrections.

1 Like

And you’re not pregnant, right? :laughing:

Oh, goodness, I sure hope not! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’ve actually been experiencing this to some degree since things started progressing aftern my diagnosis, which is why I feel it has to be BG related somehow.

1 Like

I had the opposite experience after being DKA, that is, feeling low at 100 and shaking at 80. Such a weird disease!

Perhaps your CGM will clear it up. My son doesn’t feel bad unless he is over 250. But, quick changes in BG (High to Low) do make him feel bad.

I’ve been diabetic since at least 1978 and on insulin since that year. The only times I’ve been nauseous is when I got a full dose of glucagon a few times, which causes my bg to go crazy-high for a while. Thankfully, I don’t get nauseous from daily bg swings

1 Like

Hmmm I feel hungover after large swings. But headache hungover, not nauseous hungover. Like the 60 to 200 to 40 and back again and finally slowly back to 80. But after every high carb meal I go to 180-200 (I don’t wait long enough after bolus to eat, don’t have time). And I don’t particularly eat low carb… seems like a non bg issue but who knows, everyone’s different.

1 Like

Can you elaborate? Why not bolus a bit earlier?

To add more anecdotal evidence - I get BG related headaches when I am over 200 (11 mmol/l) and they progressively get worse above that.

I get nausea with the BG related headache over about 324 (18 mmol/l), but I always suspect that the headache causes the nausea - kind of like motion sickness. I probably have ketones by this point.

But below 140 (8 mmol/l) I can “feel” my BG but I do not feel sick.

1 Like

Oh, I had this, too, when first diagnosed! Anything below 100, and I thought I was going to die.

I hope so!

Thanks all. I may have discovered another reason for the severe nausea…it came back after dinner, with blood sugar holding steady around 100, which is making me suspect I was “glutened” at lunch (I have Celiac Disease). It also might have contributed to the high BG I had…I haven’t been glutened since my LADA diagnosis, so I’m not sure exactly how (if at all) it would affect my BG.

1 Like

In our experience, stress and illness cause rises in BG.

1 Like

Oddly enough, stress and illness initially lowered my BG, but in the past couple of months, I’ve begun to see the more typical raising of BG levels when stressed/sick, so I would expect to see higher numbers when glutened.

1 Like

You’re a gluten for punishment.

5 Likes