It's time for a Christmas bolus!

We’re having our usual traditional Christmas tamales, ymmm! Have no clue what t bolus. Will be doing an extended of 60/40.

6 Likes

I think the 60/40 split makes sense due to the fat in the dough. The hard part for tamales in our experience is the variable amount of lard that is incorporated in the dough. They are delicious though definitely worth a trip up and down the blood sugar scale.

When my wife was living in Port Aransas TX there was a lady that made them in her home and sold them in 12-packs. This was many years ago, but the perfection in her tamales still stands out. Just the right amount of dough to filling ratio with a somewhat spicy and very tasty filling. yuuum!

7 Likes

Tamales are my favorite. Here in boston, there aren’t any good tamales to be had. Out on the west coast, they are all wonderful. I don’t remember how I bolus for them. But I do like them.

4 Likes

For awhile I was buying them from a guy who sold them out of his apartment building in Allston. I’m sure he had a commercial kitchen in there?!?!? They were SO GOOD! I’d pass along his contact info, but this was before covid and I’ll bet he’s not there anymore. But wow, now I’m craving them. To the topic, I have no recollection what I bolused for them. Probably 35g carb worth/tamale. Seems about right. My goodness, were those good. (I am in Portugal right now and we just had empanadas and they HIT THE SPOT.)

3 Likes

Mexican empanadas tend to be sweet. Years ago there was a little lunch place in Houston that served all kinds of empanadas, meats, cheeses, fruits and other sweet stuff. The owner was Argentinian. He made a delicious sangria with apples, pears, cherries, plums and peaches. What memories.

4 Likes

@CarlosLuis I adore memories like that. Would love to try a Mexican empanadas. Tonight’s were incredible – I am not sure what ethnicity this shop was based in (my husband and daughter picked them up from across the street from our airbnb). Last night my other daughter and I split a DANGEROUS pitcher of passionfruit sangria at an Italian restaurant of all places, insisting to my husband that it was low in alcohol (it was not).

4 Likes

You walked to the restaurant, right?

2 Likes

Love good tamales!!!

4 Likes

Yep, we are walking everywhere here! (And we really didn’t drink that much!) (But wow, was it good sangria!)

5 Likes

Love Tomales!! I don’t think I’ve eaten them since I was a kid when my sister discovered how to make them at home. She frequently made them when it was her day to prepare dinner.

3 Likes