Real Good Grande Cheese Enchiladas Review

A few months ago I bought some breakfast sandwiches of this brand. I forget what they said the “net” carbs were, but they spiked my BG pretty high and were awful. I fed the rest of them to our neighbors, the raccoons. They didn’t complain.

A couple of weeks ago I was looking for some frozen enchiladas for my wife and picked up these Grande Cheese Enchiladas. I realized it was Real Good brand in the check out aisle and thought, what the Hell I will try them.

Surprise, surprise, surprise they were good tasting and my regular carb/unit bolus was just fine. Some might find them a bit too spicy. They are right at the borderline for me.

They have other products that I might try, but I don’t think the breakfast sandwiches will ever win me over again.

5 Likes

It’s great that you found something that you like!

I have not tried any frozen Mexican meals of any sort. I started making Mexican dinners during the covid lock-down though. Just because I always went out to Mexican restaurants with my wife and we missed going, so we started making our own.

Not sure, but with a name like CarlosLuis, you might be better at it than I am!

3 Likes

Those taste so wonderful!

Do you shop at Costco? Sometimes they carry that brands creamy poblano enchiladas and their other products for terrific price on coupon. The other favorite I had was a bacon wrapped chicken stuffed with cheese. The calories and fat in that one always gave me a little trouble with insulin resistance overnight because I would eat the tray which is actually two servings.

I’m not low carb but I love to add them as my protein along side my carbs and veg.

3 Likes

Don’t do much cooking at all the last decade. I am very carb sensitive and sadly have to omit pastas, rice (I am part Cajun) and in the last few years corn products. The latter really hurts. I thought when I started MDI/Pump I would be able to eat some corn like tortilla and tostados, but even 50% more bolus over my usual carb:unit ratio just doesn’t do it. I do get away with eating a couple of Torchie’s (street style) Tacos after a long bike ride for lunch once or twice a month.

These Real Food cheese enchiladas are not my mother’s but after being in a TexMex food famine for several years are quite good.

I want to try some of the other things they have as suggested by @Josie. I love poblano peppers. Maybe they will do some Chiles Rellenos done with poblanos yummmm :yum:

5 Likes

Thanks for posting this – I will look for this brand and @Josie will keep an eye out for options at Costco! Trader Joe’s used to have a really nice poblano pepper in the frozen food section … I haven’t seen it for awhile (but also haven’t specifically looked) (now I’m craving it!). I know what we are eating this weekend!

3 Likes

I love those too! I make them sometimes. They are relatively low carb. I don’t bread mine like some people do. I just steam them so I can peel the skin off, and then stuff them with seasoned steak strips and cheese and jalapeños, and then roast them.

2 Likes

Sounds wonderful :heart:

1 Like

It is amazing the different effects foods have that look the same.

Sometimes I can eat a Taco and it will send my blood sugar way up; other times a taco will have a minimal effect.

I’ve gotten better at predicting which does what, but I still miss a fair amount of the time. Sometimes I’ll get the dexcom alarm and I’m not sure if it’s dinging me because I’m too high or too low!

5 Likes

@CarlosLuis their breakfast sandwiches did a number on my BG, too. I tried more than once to make sure it wasn’t a fluke.

If I can get a single enchilada, will try it. I love spicy. Thanks for the review!

Now if only I could get ready-made low carb versions of Portuguese foods…I make them myself and should write a cookbook. But boy would I like a break from cooking sometimes!

1 Like

They come 2 in the package. You could eat one and save the other for the next day. I have no clue what the “tortilla” is made of.

I bought a couple of other meals, chicken enchiladas and I forget the other. I will update what I think of those.

2 Likes

I grew up in So Calif and there was an abundance of great Mexican Food, lots of vegan choices too. But I also grew up making it. Some friends taught me the best Salsa recipe! We would eat huge bowlfuls and play cards. They had several but I still make that one, my fav by far. When I used to visit they even made homemade tortillas.

Here, being able to buy true Mexican cuisine isn’t going to happen, we have restaurants and lots of vegan choices, it’s just not what I consider authentic Mexican Food. It always has what I call a twist. Vegan Taro Moringa stuffed tacos, they are very good, but??? We are lacking Chinese food too, lots of Thai and Indian places with vegan choices.

My husband has frozen burritos he buys and loves. I just have gone back to making my own burritos, tostadas and tacos. Tostadas being a favorite. Amy’s at least makes a great vegan enchilada when I want that.

5 Likes

@CarlosLuis et al, I tried the Real Good enchiladas as well. I’m a bit of snob with Mexican dishes having grown up in Chula Vista CA, otherwise known as northern Tijuana. Though decidedly different from Tex-Mex, the Real Good item didn’t hold a candle to the real thing, traditional or Tex-Mex! I don’t recall them spiking me to any great degree, but neither did the taste satisfy me. Of course, now living in the DC area there’s precious little in the way of traditional taco’s, enchilada’s, etc. available, a couple decent carne asada places. I’ll stick with my wife’s and my version of the home-made items!

2 Likes