Not my Gradma’s gumbo, but not bad

I’ve been dealing with some of my taste buds not working well, especially salt. I don’t normally add salt as most food has plenty. Anyway a lot of foods taste odd to me. Cheeses are the worst, nearly tasteless. This may be caused by the immunotherapy I am doing,

It’s a good thing that I have views food sort of as medicine, but I do like it to taste nice.

I’ve been eating some off the shelf Hormel dinners called Compleats. They’re OK. Well how would I know as I can’t fully taste them.

Anyway, I saw something NEW, Bens’s Original Street Food. All have rice, but I suspect the rice will be resistant starch as it is cooked and reheated.

So I just had the Gumbo with Chiciken Andouille Sausage. It was quite good, if a bit piquant (hot) but pretty tasty.

No my Granma and her sister in law, Aunt Marie never made Gumbo with chicken, sausage or file’ It was always a seafood, okra gumbo that we ate every Friday, cause you know Catholics. :fish: :yum: Usually it was shrimp and sometimes crab when the neighbors had a good catch to share.

Anyway the recipe was in the heads of those 2 women. Tante Marie lost her memories to a series of strokes the eventually killed her, while Granma lost her memories to Alzheimer’s.

Anyway, while the Ben’s Gumbo isn’t my family’s recipe it was good enough to bring good memories.

32g carbs, 9g fat and 7g protein for 240 calories.

I would really like it is someone with working taste buds to try it and let me know. It does smell quite good, my sense of smell is just fine.

For desert, NBC just showed Kristen Faulkner winning gold in the Olympic’s women’s road race. Whoo Hoo - you go girl, yeah that’s what she did with an incredible lead.

7 Likes

Well look at this, no giant BG spike hit 129 and just went down.:tada:

9 Likes

@CarlosLuis If you liked it, that’s what counts! What we think is secondary. Example: A lot of folks like oysters on the shell, I think they’re a bunch of gooey snot-like things that you don’t so much taste as slide down your throat; can’t for the life of me think why people like the things and pay handsomely for them! Also, I love a good chunky and tasteful Blue Cheese or Stilton in dressing or crumbles on/cooked in my steak…my wife won’t touch the stuff and barely lets me keep either in the refrigerator! With-in reason, to each his/her own! Enjoy the stuff!

9 Likes

@CarlosLuis
We’re in the midst of moving, so I’ll gladly look for it and try for you! These days any excuse to not cook is welcome.

4 Likes

Thanks @Mariethm As the rice had no spikie effect on my BG may be that the cooked, cooled and reheated rice is resistant. Also, I read the fine print ingredients and the rice is brown rice.

5 Likes