Is there a Watch that can run XDrip+

So is this the key to the great battery usage, Wear OS v2.11? You mentioned previously that it sometimes took a couple of days before you saw the battery degradation. Please keep us posted on this!!! This is really useful for all using the SWR50 in standalone!

1 Like

It is true that previously after downloading new apps it looked good for the first day. After that it was back to the original poor battery usage.

I will keep you up to date on the results. I was really looking to use Wear OS version 2.08 but apparently my storage file jumped from the versions 1.xx to 2.11.

Right now after 14 hours of the last charge I still show 66% of charge left on the battery. Having disabled the Wifi off may further improve the result.

Dennis

2 Likes

I am new to this stuff but I want to link my watch Fitbit versa lite and my phone Moto G7 to show my CGM. I already downloaded wearos to phone.where do I go now? Anyone know?

I am now on the third day after all of the changes. After 8 hours of operation I am down to 80% of battery charge. This would imply that 16 hours will be down to 60%. This would equal the sustained results that I had 2 years ago.
I would say at this point the changes seem to have worked. The changes; an older version of the Wear OS and the newest version of xDrip+. My previous attempts had been with the newest versions of both Wear OS and xDrip+.

2 Likes

Also remember that both of my SWR50 watches have new batteries which did not give the desired result. It appears to be the Operating System.

2 Likes

This is great! Thanks so much for testing and giving us your results. Seems to be a straight forward method to resolve the battery issue. My first step is still to replace the battery on the two SWR50 watches!

1 Like

@Ceggav Welcome to FUD!

Assuming you have xDrip+ on the phone.

Now that you’ve got Wear on your watch, go into xDrip+. Settings>Smartwatch Features>Android wear Integration. Turn the slider on. On the watch make sure Bluetooth is on and location and WiFi are on. Set Always On to the on position.

Then the wait begins. It may take a couple of days for xDrip+ to load on the warch.

If the watch has Wear 2.0 you can get xDrip+ on the Play Store right away.

2 Likes

I went to Google store but cannot find xdrip listed in the apps. I found wear OS and downloaded that to phone. Don’t know what to do next or maybe I just have to get a new phone

To down load xDrip+ you can’t get that from Groogle Play, only the Wear OS. To down load the xDrip+ versions use:

https://github.com/NightscoutFoundation/xDrip/releases

3 Likes

That is correct, the changes seem to have worked. Just make sure you get the battery with the correct mAh rating.

Also make sure you get a battery seller that also supplies the tools. There are many sellers on Ebay. I have probable purchased from all of them, ha.

There is also a video on Youtube that shows the battery change procedure. Do not however purchase from this seller. They supply the wrong battery mAh rating.

Again looking at the watch it shows 74% battery after 11 hours of operation.

I will report if the watch does not continue with this performance.

Dennis

2 Likes

Ah, yes, I know to which you are referring! Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks again for figuring this battery issue out. I hope others will find their way here to FUD for your resolution!

It is now 8:30PM at my location. That means 16.5 hours and I still show 60% battery charge left.

I feel pretty good about this solution but hopefully it will still hold for another year.

I must discover how to inhibit any Wear OS updates.

1 Like

Hello Dennis ; has your contact tried using a Garmin sports watch? I just downloaded xDrip+ yesterday after receiving my miaomiao2 reader (to use with a FS Libre1 sensor) and added the xDrip app to my Garmin Fenix 5+ watch, and had the thing giving me live readings (with level, trajectory, delta and latency on-screen) in just a few minutes. It is very useful for when running/cycling to see this live data - although not sure how relevant that is to him/her.

3 Likes

Welcome to FUD @john_coburg. Looking forward to your contributions here. The Garmin Fenix 5+ seems like an amazing watch. Do you get your blood sugar readings on the watch face, or do you have to do something to see them?

Thanks Chris, good to have found the forum! I have plenty of questions to put to you all…all in the fullness of time.
Yes, the Fenix 5+ is great (as is the 6 i believe).
You can add your data (level, trajectory, recent history, delta and latency) all on a ‘watch face’, so it’s there at a glance when you look at the time (i’ve added daily footsteps and live HR also), but you can also add as a datafield (level, delta and latency) in a run/cycle/whatever activity.
(you’ll notice i’ve just dealt with a ‘low’…)
Screenshots attached.

2 Likes

Hi John,

No I am not familiar with the Garmin Sports Watch. I do know that it has the transflective display. That is one very important element for my running and other activities in addition to operating without the smartphone.

I do use the Sony Smartwatch 3, SWR50. It has been a very reliable collector of data from my Dexcom G5 transmitter. It also relays the data to my smartphone.

The only problem that I had after two years of operation is the big reduction of the battery charge, down from about 48 hours to less than 10 hours. I discovered the problem was related to the Wear Operating system. I apparently had installed the newest version of Wear OS which caused the problem. Since installing a 2 year old version the watch is back to the 48 hours of charge retention.

Dennis

2 Likes

Very attractive watch, and impressive display of the blood sugar trends.

Garmin is great for exercising, too, but I don’t think it can work as a standalone collector for Dexcom, unfortunately. So you must also carry your Android phone.

1 Like

@dmac When I last used my SWR50 watches, they seemed to keep an okay charge. The problem I had was I was unable to charge them. I tried a multitude of cables, battery packs, and USB to computer but I could not get the watch to charge. Do you think changing the battery will resolve this issue? It occurred on both of my watches. The 420mAh batteries I’ve found on eBay all ship from China so they could take a few months to arrive! Any that you have found ship from the USA? Thanks!

1 Like

Interesting thing about the source of the batteries; First all of the correct batteries say they are shipped from China. I discovered however that when I got the batteries they came from either Hawthorne or Bell, CA all Los Angeles suburbs. Of the five batteries I ordered four did take some time to arrive. The other battery came in less than one week.

Make sure the battery is marked as shown below. This is exactly how the original Sony battery looked. The date code may be different. All of the batteries work.

One thing that was different on a couple of batteries is that the connector cable broke out on right side of the package. The one shown below like the original breaks out on the left side. Also the original had black insulation on top where this one and the others have gold color. My good original battery has a 2012 date code verse the 2018 shown below.

2 Likes