iOS 15.0 seems OK with the Dexcom app

Dexcom has been warning me about the upgrade to iOS 15.0 for a couple of weeks now, so I figured it was safe to upgrade and, yes! A first maybe; the app doesn’t warn me about not being verified on the OS. Way to go! [For people who don’t speak American, that means, “you’ve got there”, not the opposite.]

So far no problems and, a blessing, it is now apparently possible to disable the Dexcom squealing independently of all the other apps! (This is what the warning was about; apparently they don’t want me to do that, however I have my phone turned to totally-silent mode primarily because of the G6 app…) Something new called “focus groups”, poor choice of name but, whatever.

5 Likes

@jbowler My last transmitter had problems with maintaining a connection (using iOS 14.7 on iPhone), despite being within 2’ every time it happened (4-5 times a day). I called Dexcom; the rep said Dexcom was aware a problem with the iOS version not being compatible. I asked why Dexcom hadn’t sent something out about a known problem…he had no answer. Despite resistance, they ended up sending a replacement. I see your comment about a warning on iOS 15; I’ve never seen that either. The agent checked to ensure my em was correct in their system, it was. Nothing in my spam folder. I only recall ever receiving a warning once and months back, I think in the app. So: Where are you/others seeing the warnings from Dexcom, on the app? Thru email? Other?

2 Likes

I have had two warnings on the app about not using notifications summary with the app in iOS 15. I have not updated yet and will probably wait a while to do so as users report any problems that occur.

3 Likes

The warnings, both the “unsupported OS” and “focus group” warnings appear every couple of days (maybe longer) when the Dexcom app is opened or (I believe) brought to the foreground. I’ve seen some variant of this with all versions of iOS, certainly with 14.7, 14.8 (though I don’t think that was ever reported as “unsupported”) and 15.0 (also not reported as “unsupported” yet.)

The warnings are big white pop-up which you have to “OK” to get to the main app window.

14.8 was “just” the Israeli/NSO/Pegasus fix (partial fix I’m sure.) I immediately upgraded without checking with Dexcom; the problem is just too egregious, even though I don’t use iMessage.

At present 15.0 has reported the “focus group” issue to me once so far since I installed it. Obviously the messages depend on having an up-to-date Dexcom app; I keep all my iOS apps up-to-date and I have Dexcom 1.9.0 (Settings/About) with a “Software Number” SW11677. The app does also have a “Supported Systems” entry, but it’s just a link to their web page so is obviously unreliable and, indeed, it is wrong - it says the highest supported iOS is 14.4.1!

2 Likes

@TomH: what I said probably wasn’t clear about the status of 14.7; the “OS” pop-up was removed a couple of months (or so) ago, implying that the app had been made compatible. The “focus group” pop-up appeared some time after that, I guess I downloaded a Dexcom app upgrade and that had the new warning.

Check your pending updates on the iOS “App Store”; I have automatic (app) update turned on but sometimes it doesn’t happen, e.g. if the app permissions change. Also my home network isn’t fast enough to permit regular update of the apps; that just requires too much bandwidth, and the OS seems to throttle the bandwidth use these days. In the past a single iPhone could take down my whole network, indeed, I once had an iPad use all the data on a 10GByte SIM card that I had installed into a separate WiFi hotspot, the iPad was just downloading updates. Fortunately I was in the UK, so that just cost me about GBP10.

I do disable auto-download of iOS updates and be warned, iOS 1.5 is a monster; my iPhone has used 23GByte over the last week and the iOS 1.5 download took all night. I don’t watch videos on the iPhone.

2 Likes

:flushed::flushed::flushed:

2 Likes

@jbowler Thanks for the info. While I’m a subscriber to the “don’t buy 1.0 of anything” philosophy, I have auto-app update on and when Apple issues an “emergency” update or one labeled due to significant weakness, I update fairly quickly.

I have to agree with @CatLady response; 23GB sounds way too large for just an iOS update unless it also incorp’d dl’s of a lot of updated apps as well. You may want to check what else is going on there.

1 Like

Yes; I fat fingered my calculator. The figure for the preceding 7 days on my iPhone (so including all the apps) is 6.8GByte (14% of my total usage over the period), the figure for “Apple” is 12%, (so about the same) but I upgraded my wife’s iPhone too. The router reckons “Software Update” amounts to 7.8GByte. Digging deeper I found that both our iPhones have “Private Address” turned on (the default) for one of our networks, so there are currently three sets of figures and the actual number for total usage over the week is 7-8GByte for each phone.

Bottom line is that the update itself is consuming 2-3GByte. As for whether it is worth having, the only thing I’ve seen is, indeed, the focus-group stuff but even that seems fairly lame to me.

1 Like

Just in case it proves helpful for anyone else, I did have a bit of trouble with the Dexcom app after upgrading to an iPhone 13 mini (from an XS). Essentially, app crashed every time I tried to open it, and the Dexcom app was the only one giving me trouble.

I initially suspected it was an iOS 15.0 problem but ultimately I believe the issue was actually from restoring all my apps/data from my old phone to my new phone. Deleting and reinstalling the Dexcom app solved the issue for me and it’s not caused issues since!

3 Likes

@jbowler Don’t sweat the fat fingering, there’s those that have and those that will! I was just concerned you might have something else going on that deserved attention. :wink:

1 Like

Found this on Dexccom’s website: https://www.dexcom.com/en-AE/faq/app-g6-ios-faq
Looks to incorporate the “Focus” function in iOS 15. The formatting is a little weird, but it provides Dexcom’s take on settings needed for the app to function and how to navigate to them. I’ve been holding off (the old “don’t buy 1.0 of anything without sufficient time for problems to be noted…yes, I know its actually iOS 15.0.2), but installed this morning and so far its working fine, including with Sugarmate. Note: I added both Dexcom and Sugarmate apps to all the noted Focus locations listed on the Dexcom webpage.

2 Likes

thanks …downloaded it today and held my breath until dexcom reconnected…working well so far :smile:

1 Like