Instinct versus observation

Is there a juice giver instinct? If so, mine kicked in tonight.

I am about to fall asleep, and EH is dozing already and his CGM goes off. Says he’s at 72. But the dratted thing is so prone to pressure lows from him laying on his left arm, that it seems likely he was just laying on the sensor. He gets up to use the restroom and it jumps up a bit. Again, seems to indicate a pressure low. We ignore it. But in five minutes it alarms again. So I’m like “why don’t you do a fingerstick and confirm it’s NOT low.” And of course he says his testing kit is in the office. So I get up and grab it, grumbling, because it’s cold. But I have a feeling something is off. He tests and it comes back at 35. Tests again, 36! Oh, let me get you some juice! (As we discuss the relative merits of GU or jelly beans while I dash to the fridge. Juice is best I think at this point.)

But he seems NORMAL. He’s insistent he’s not low. He feels fine. Must be an error. He tries his spare kit that he found by his bed. I go to get another testing kit from our stash of supplies under the bed. And at this point I realize they are ALL out of batteries. So I get a fresh battery for one of them. He announced his spare kit is broken and won’t read right. We toss it into the trash once I confirm it’s malfunctioning.

At this point he’s had one small juice box. Now he’s at 45. He tested with the new kit. I suggest another tiny juice box (15g carbs). He says no, asks me to do the math (uh, not a strong point for me.)

I decide to go get all the batteries we own and resupply all the meters with new batteries RIGHT NOW (and I am hearing the prepared folks on FUD being happy about their battery rotating schedules and I am envious! Seriously!). By now the CGM is functioning better - it’s on its last night, so it seemed possible that it was poor data earlier. But the finger sticks proved otherwise. Super weird. And now I’m awake. And the BG is headed up. And a second juice box was consumed.

Any other night I would’ve ignored it because pressure lows are an issue. But tonight the little bell went off. Which was handy, I think.

8 Likes