So low you can't think?

Good evening, I have had a ridicules day and don’t know why it started.
But this morning I got up and was high, switched to manual and did a correction dose of 2 units which is nothing for me, didn’t check graph to see what was going on, now see is was falling. anyway at around 11:00 my alarm woke me up screaming I was in the low 40’s and could not figure out how to stop my pump, heard my daughter and come to find out I have never shown her how to control or even stop my pump, and was falling. so I just tore pod off and threw in trash, I have trained her how to deal with my being low, if I am conscious feed me, if I am not call 911 (which she has had to a few times over the years) so she fed me a lot and I feel back asleep. so now I woke up over 400 with no pump on at around 4:30, t gave myself shot and put on new pod and am still to high to read and am having hard time typing this, get real shake when high. and by the way my “natural” bg level is over 600 after eating a lot.

6 Likes

so now she feeding me because it scared her. oh well guess I will be at this awhile today.

3 Likes

Yowza! What a scary day @T1john! You just never think something like that will happen until it does. You plan for every eventuality and yet still there’s that one single little scenario right?

Glad you are ok - you are ok, yes? After a roller coaster day like that you must feel wrung out from the inside out. I know I’m a mental wreck for days after an experience like that. Hope you are ok @T1john .

7 Likes

And want to add, I contacted my contact with Insult and found out as I suspected O5 will not stop delivery in manual. I have my manual set high becuase I use it to fight highs but set timer to go off every 45 minutes until it starts dropping, forgot to set timer.
And thank you I will live but feel like s***, still can’t stop shaking.

5 Likes

Am at 101 and falling, and get this O5 just alarmed and said it wanted me to switch to manual with a BG of 85! So I did ( had to) then went back to auto where it switched me to limited. Oh well I still have 2 units of IOB, was looking at history and it made me go back into manual again, so again I did and then put back in auto to which it went into limited again. So time to eat some more.

5 Likes

Sometimes you just can’t win

5 Likes

Glad your daughter came to your aid. Scary!! I’m glad you are better, but, yes, a day like that sure takes the wind out of you. Tomorrow will be a better day, no more 40s!

6 Likes

This all sounds so frustrating and scary. So glad your daughter was there to help. How are you feeling today? Sending a hug. Jessica

3 Likes

I great over night and today, so far. Still shaky but thanks for asking.

3 Likes

"When using Omnipod® 5 in Manual Mode, basal insulin delivery is based on your entered basal program and does not change with continuous glucose monitor (CGM) values.

You can choose the amount of time you would like to pause insulin delivery for, with a maximum of 2 hours."
https://www.omnipod.com/current-podders/resources/omnipod-5/videos/pausing-insulin#:~:text=When%20using%20Omnipod®%205,a%20maximum%20of%202%20hours.

for next time…sorry to hear about your low, i usually eat cereal with unsweetened almond milk if im ever that low… sometimes it’ll take me to the 200’s, but i can’t even imagine a 40 to 600 roller coaster

2 Likes

.yea I think it messed my sender (G-6) up, been off all day. And yes I verified a couple of times yesterday and it was okay. Also don’t know how high I got, meters only say high above 400, and can’t remember where low threshold is but I hit it yesterday. I know how to stop the O5 but was so low I could not even remover how to log in on the controller.

1 Like

i understand completely, we’ve all been there, mostly just wanted to remind everyone to suspend instead of going to manual…many o5’ers still think insulin suspension is part of manual which is often overlooked, abd usually too late…

2 Likes

@T1john How to say this… I get how you want to improve your control and you have a sincere desire to understand and make the best decisions when using your tech. But, I suspect you’d be much, much safer if you let your doctor make all the decisions on your settings until your knowledge of how it all fits together is deeper. You are experimenting with different modes and settings that have the ability to kill you and you’re not understanding either the methodology or the dangers involved. You’ll get there but for now follow your doctor’s instructions, please.

2 Likes

Okay, I would like to say I am not new to Diabeties, pumps, Omnipod or Omnipod 5. Yes I do experiment with my settings, but in a very controlled manner. I make changes in an incremental manner, am in no hurry, I reach out in order to get view points of others and do really value and consider all. you only see the outcome or what I am doing, not all the work put in to it, I do talk to my doctor, He gave me his email address years ago and when I have issues I contact and do have appointments every 3 months, but they are to see how I am doing, and he will give me inside to what he would like to see me work on. he doesn’t suggest changes to anything and we don’t review settings or my strategies. Anyway as I said this low was the result of the biggest problem for me, myself getting complacent and skipping a step. not for any thing I do in my intensive management style. I am Serbian I am not the only one here to use manual, my basal program is set where it should be and I do check my setting every once in a while, I just found I was using a lot of temp basalt and set a separate basal program to run at a rate roughly equal to the temps I run, and keep track of my #'s and stop when bf’s level out after eating the go back to auto, and correct it down to where I like to run, 80-90.

2 Likes

My doctor hasn’t called the shots for my son’s management since 2 months after his diagnosis (going on 8 years now). We decided to remove the control out of their hands because our goals for my son don’t align. They want him to not ever go low…ever (due to, I suspect, liability reasons). I, on the other hand, want my son to have a good quality of life, both in the short-term AND the long-term. So, unlike the Endo staff, I’m not willing to let my son sit in the 200’s and 300’s all day (they were perfectly happy with this scenario for our son). So, I took it upon my self to get educated, read all the books I could, and helped co-found this forum just so we didn’t have to “depend on our Endo’s” for our real-world treatment where our goals often-times differ widely from the opinions and perspectives of our Endo’s. So, my hats off to anyone who isn’t using Endo’s as a crutch. They are there as a resource, but we all drive our own care (or our children’s care) and it behooves us all to learn all we can to drive the treatment in the direction we want it to go.

Small changes to our settings as we observe patterns is how we figure it out.

4 Likes

This is one of the keys to good management.

1 Like