I have developed a bad habit

I used to wear an omnipod, and had to change it when it expired. With the Tandem, I can go a day, 2 or even 3 without having to do so. I’ve developed a habit of consistently going an extra day, often longer. I know it’s unhealthy. Does anyone else do this or has anyone had a bad experience doing this that will scare me strait?

3 Likes

Why do you think it is unhealthy?

If the insulin deteriorates, maybe your BG control is not as good. Or maybe the site starts to go bad, and that would also affect your BG.

But is there anything else that concerns you about doing this? If your BG is staying okay, then maybe it isn’t too horrible.

6 Likes

If Omnipod would allow longer than the 8 hour grace period, I would suck it for all I could. :smiley:

5 Likes

I’m not sure I’d be concerned about an extra day or two, unless you start seeing site irritation.

Pre-Omnipod, I used to leave my sets in way too long. On my first pump (1980s) I’d leave a set in for up to two weeks. I had the same bad/lazy habit with a MiniMed in the 1990s. Usually my prompt to change it out was a sore, itchy, red site. Duh. Result: scar tissue that lingers to this day. One of the many reasons I love my pods is that I have to change them, no excuses allowed.

9 Likes

Hey, guess I’m not alone and maybe it’s not so bad after all! I had read about someone who got a bad infection from doing this. I think they went into DKA, but I can’t find where I read it so I’m going by memory.

It also makes my supplies last a little longer.

6 Likes

@jo_jo, I have to change my sites every two days or I get inflammation and “tunneling” where the skin no longer seals around the outside of the cannula and some insulin runs out the surface.

I used to fill my Tandem cartridges to 300 units and run them eight days or more with multiple infusion sets. Then I read a submission by Tandem to the FDA that said that the level of chemicals leaching out of the plastic cartridge bladder into the insulin was “acceptable” for the first three days. Nothing at all on what happens after three days, and no definition of acceptable. Insulin has a preservative in it that is probably responsible for the leaching. It’s what makes insulin smell like formaldehyde.

Now I compromise and put less insulin in the cartridge, using each one for two infusion sets and a total of four days. Some people change the cartridge with every infusion set, using them three days. For me that results in wasting a lot of insulin.

So there are reasons to think about how long your body tolerates an infusion set. When I change after two days it leaves a tiny spot. Longer than that and I get an angry red spot that is considerably larger and takes longer to go away.

6 Likes

@Randy and @jo_jo Not sure this will be helpful or whether you may have tried it. I recently read posts by a few people talking about using Tagaderm patches (some people use them due to adhesive sensitivity) to help stabilize the cannula’s of Dash pods. I decided to try it because of a couple leaky pods (not “gushers,” but noticeable insulin under the pods on removal). Tagaderm (or store brands at CVS, Walgreens, etc.) is the same stuff hospitals use to cover an IV catheter to protect it from getting pulled out inadvertently. Not only does it stabilize the cannula, it seems to seal around the cannula and (for me) prevents not only insulin tunneling/oozing around the cannula, but also prevents the bump that forms around the cannula due to the opening under the pod. My process: 1) shave hair at the site, if needed, 2) clean area with cotton ball and alcohol, 3) let alcohol dissipate and prep the pod, 4) cut out a piece of the Tagaderm (all pieces need some of the thin cardboard so you can peel off the adhesive cover), 5) pick the site, peel the adhesive protection off, and place the Tagaderm, 6) put the pod on ensuring the cannula will go thru the Tagaderm. (Sounds long/complicated, it isn’t.) I haven’t had any problem with the pod needle going thru the Tagaderm to place the cannula. Some folks get fancy with cutting the Tagaderm “just so”; I’m more utilitarian and go for a 1” square piece to cover the cannula insertion point and try to cover the piece with the pod adhesive patch. I haven’t noticed any peeling problem, but almost never have anyway. So far, it’s worked well for me. The Tagaderm patches come in about 2.5x4” pad with thin cardboard around the edge, 8 pads to a box. That’s good for about 48 or 64 (edited: days worth of) pods. I’m experimenting with use under G7’s too, not sure it make any difference. I understand Tagaderm may have smaller “dots” that may be more useful, but all I’ve found have cotton pads too which I don’t think would work as well.

7 Likes

You read it in my medical chart. Snoop.

@TomH thanks for the reminder. I really must try out Tegaderm in my efforts to conquer tunneling. Currently I’m experimenting with U200 insulin, both to reduce bolus size and to allow me to use the pod for more boluses (with an eye to not misleading the O5 algorithm). Mixed results so far.

4 Likes

Yikes! THank you for sharing!

LOL!!!

Sounds worth trying!

@TomH, Tegaderm also comes in rolls so you can cut off what you need. I use the 4 inch roll, and find that a 4x4 inch overpatch prevents sweating off either my G7 or my infusion set.

3 Likes

@Randy You’re right, just read a post by Marion Barker of Loop docs fame saying that’s what she uses. Probably more expensive as one purchase, but more economical in the long term! She mentioned something called Flexifix Opsite by Smith and Nephew, perhaps a European cousin of Tagaderm, sold on Amazon and parts of the US.

2 Likes

Ok, checked the prices of Tagaderm and similar on-line. For 3x the price of a single package (8 full size patches, ≈$8) you can get a 4” by 11 yard roll of the Flexifix Opsite off Amazon (≈$24). That seems about a lifetime (perhaps 2?) of the stuff. For those needing to watch their finances, seems like a much better deal! Of course you can find all sizes on-line, perhaps even the dots?!

3 Likes

The Tegaderm roll is $35 on Amazon. I am on my second one. But 11 yards is 396 inches, and that gives you 99 squares 4" per side. So 35 cents each. If you go cheaper you have 99 chances to regret your decision…

2 Likes

@jo_jo I routinely go an extra day or two on my Tandem pump. Depending on where the infusion set is placed and the insulin and whether purple cows are jumping over green moons depends on whether it was worth it or not. Sometimes I get away with it because the site is still happy and sometimes not because the site is starting to get painful. Then again, sometimes I get painful sites at day 2 as well. It’s all about placement and rotation, and missing fatty lumps (which some people actually have).

4 Likes

Thanks @TomH I have been having a heck of a time with my pods. Tunneling has definitely been a problem. I tried several overpatches trying to secure them in place per Omnipods suggestion and also Skin Tac to help keep the pod more securely still and it didn’t help. I never thought of using a patch under the pod to help! Keeping the cannula in place better makes a lot of sense! I will have to try it to see if it helps !!! It would be nice if that’s what my issue is with using pods and solves it!!! Or at least some of it!!!

2 Likes

So @TomH What am I looking for in the Tegaderm? Am I looking for the patch that seems to have a middle pad more so I use that around the cannula or the roll of film that doesn’t??

Thanks!

1 Like

This is a link to what I purchased to try. Walgreens has a store brand as does CVS and others. The Flexifix Opsite on Amazon comes in this form and others like a roll 4”x11 yds (https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Nephew-Flexifix-Transparent-Adhesive/dp/B0015TI2ZA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=2RM6W5NUZEU55&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.SyHF3o3dX09gyTrwLkm5DPMqgFbDok4lNQk14c-fzU8ip4xK_XzbHCGQ1DCRIVU2lqRh5x1_CvMFpRJb4hnXc93RHdPpxzCmebK-sEVv2 offz9d-ixguvLZKl2xh3g7xlwjZHraESj4R8qHpFHQ7EGYLf-xu1ql-Z0zFl-M6sGUdzw3FR4ImU4JTSm_kf4Igui2SSzSLEPqVW3Q.8UE9OdD9NcmJWWThjSPic6jr9xUsXpLZOVFYIDRBvQ0&dib_tag=se&keywords=flexifix+opsite&qid=1727900651&sprefix=flexifix+opsite%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-1).

Sorry if the links are long or unusable; I’m on my phone and have fat fingers!

I’m not endorsing these particular brands, just examples. What I tried just has a very thin piece of what appears to be plastic w/ adhesive, covered by another pice of plastic, with a thin cardboard surround for peeling. It has no cotton or other pad, the whole thing has a thin layer of adhesive on one side.

3 Likes

@TomH, I use those for infusion sets in the winter when I am not working outdoors in heat and sweating a lot. I buy them on Amazon. The roll I buy is just one clear plastic layer, with a peel-off backing on each side. It’s here on Amazon for $38.36

3 Likes