I have COVID:(

I keep thinking I will lose taste but have it still! That would be hard to deal with!

2 Likes

1st time with Covid that I know of. Kind of rough. Just had allergy like symptoms, high fever, brain fog from lower than baseline oxygen levels, joint pain, muscle pain, tiredness, loss of appetite, eye pain, and cough, high glucose, low glucose due to not eating much, and had to go to the bathroom a lot. Lasted about a week and I still have a cough.

4 Likes

@JW_dx2002 and @beans_betes I am sorry you are dealing with this. I think in the U.S. just having type 1 makes us eligible for paxlovid? Getting the prescription in the first 48 hours of testing positive is best to prevent viral replication. Iā€™m sorry youā€™re not feeling well.

We thought our 12 year old was feigning a sore throat this morning to avoid having to take end of the year standardized testing, but guess what?! Covid. Now to try to avoid it ourselvesā€¦ it feels like itā€™s everywhere and just closing in. Keep resting and I hope you continue to improve - Jessica

3 Likes

I am 100% now!!! Thank God!!

4 Likes

Cases continue to increase in Oregon. Partly that is because test kits are now available, but fundamentally it is because the virus is endemic; it exists everywhere. So, yes, more people are catching it, but so what? At the same time as there are yet more cases in Oregon there have been fewer deaths than before:

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/oregon.health.authority.covid.19/viz/OregonCOVID-19Update/DailyDataUpdate

Weā€™re vaccinated, many of us have actually had it and not died. Live with it; we really donā€™t have any choice.

2 Likes

@beans_betes
I tested positive Tuesday, May 17 and was able to get the newest monoclonal antibodies on Wednesday, May 18. My symptoms fortunately have been rather mild, very little congestion, a scratchy throat, malaise, and extremely, extremely tired. Iā€™m still not feeling great yet. Iā€™ve had 3 Moderna shots.
Thanks for posting your experience, I was just worrying why my BG has been wacko the last several days. I should have known!
Get well soon! :relaxed:

2 Likes

@beans_betes

I found that both my husband and I had to advocate for basically the treatment we wanted or thought we should have. I know that sounds crazy, I thought this far along in the pandemic theyā€™d have a pretty set protocol for treatment, but it seems they donā€™t.

I talked with my rheumatologist (rheumatoid arthritis) and he said if I got symptoms on the weekend, go to the ER, get tested and demand the monoclonal antibodies. I didnā€™t get it on the weekend, but went right to Urgent Care and did what he said.

My husband on the other hand, doesnā€™t qualify for monoclonal antibodies since heā€™s 67 but has no co-morbidities. He got Paxlovid.

2 Likes

@Jan, which mab therapy did you receive? You felt it helped? I know that Paxlovid is helping many. I have a clear path to a prescription for that, but am wondering if there would be a preferred treatment. I donā€™t recover well from respiratory illnesses (the last was a 6 week fight with walking pneumonia ā€“ itā€™s just too exhausting. My blood sugar has been very insulin resistant for no good reason since yesterday, which is worrying me. 2 negative tests, though. Itā€™s very frustrating that these game-changing drugs are so difficult to source. My understanding is that the supply chain issues are largely resolved, so most people who would benefit from them should be able to receive them. Thanks for all of the information shared here.

@jbowler - I agree on the virus becoming endemic. However, itā€™s difficult to see it in your child. I am confident that she will be ok, but thatā€™s not going to stop me from figuring out options available to us should it get worse for her or should it significantly affect my husband or me.

2 Likes

@JessicaD

I got the bebtelovimab monoclonal antibodies. Itā€™s supposed to be effective against Omicron (and the previous variants).

Yes, I think it really has helped me. I take an immunosuppressant drug for rheumatoid arthritis, so am considered high risk in addition to T1D.

I tested negative on Monday (the 16th) but I felt crappy. Then I tested positive Tuesday, and was able to get the bebtelovimab on Wednesday.

With the mab, most of my symptoms are gone, except the fatigue and wacky BG, and Iā€™m day 6 since the treatment.

5 Likes

While I share your sentiment, Iā€™m a little concerned about this news story, featured prominently in the NYT:

One in five adult Covid survivors under the age of 65 in the United States has experienced at least one health condition that could be considered long Covid, according to a large new study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Among patients 65 and older, the number is even higher: one in four.

In an indication of how seriously the federal health agency views the problem of long Covid, the authors of the study ā€” members of the C.D.C.ā€™s Covid-19 Emergency Response Team ā€” recommended ā€œroutine assessĀ­ment for post-Covid conditions among persons who survive Covid-19.ā€

I also agree with your assessment that ā€œwe really donā€™t have any choice,ā€ but that reflects an acceptance of some level of risk on your part (or my part). Different people have very different appetites for risk, and the recent story quoted above certainly raises the costs of Covid, so we can expect an increasingly wide range of individual customs and behaviors over time.

I have a cousin who has become extremely anxious about Covid, such that she does not spend time in an indoors space with anyone else. Iā€™m sure there are many people like that.

7 Likes

25-May-2022: major sinus congestion, GI issues returned. Throat clearing and phlegm still, but less so. Blood sugar improving, but I feel like I still have insulin resistance. I managed to do my physio exercises this morning, but tired easily and felt like my heart was pumping pretty hard. No headache (yay). Not too bad all things considered!

7 Likes

This is actually a good thing!

From a thread :thread: on Twitter by @DataDrivenMD:

OK, hereā€™s one of the most interesting findings, that I havenā€™t seen reported anywhere else: the rate of ā€œcongestionā€ was highest among boosted persons. Yes, higher

Now, that may seem bad and counter-intuitive but itā€™s great and makes perfect sense. Allow me to explainā€¦

2 years in, we now know that SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 invades our body by latching onto proteins on the surface of the cells that line our respiratory tractā€” these are known as ACE2 receptors and theyā€™re found in our nose, all they way down into our lungs

The key piece to note is that ACE2 receptors are not present in equal amounts throughout our respiratory tractā€” there are more of these proteins in our nose than our lungs

Thereā€™s another thing to consider to understand how boosted persons might end up w/ more congestion

So, what seems to be going on, is that the immune system of persons who were boosted were able to respond more quickly to the first sign of an Omicron infectionā€” in the nose. The congestion is the bodyā€™s way of slowing down the infectionā€” itā€™s flooding the virus in sludge

If that fails, the virus migrates down to your throat where it causes a sore throat, a cough, or croup in the case of young children.

If that fails, then it makes it further, into the lungs, where it triggers a different kind of ā€œcongestionā€ that causes collateral damage

So, putting it all together: although Omicron is able to partially evade our vaccines, the immune system of persons who were boosted responded earlier and more robustly. Sparing millions of persons from developing worse symptoms.

https://twitter.com/datadrivenmd/status/1528825593009041408?s=21&t=tAdgL1GCoQ3g4NAaWotcZw

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing:) I had a sore throat before the sinus congestion got bad, but perhaps I just didnā€™t notice the sinus congestion before the throat because Iā€™ve had sinus congestion every morning and evening for the last 10 months after a really bad sinus infection, and sometimes itā€™s worse than other times.

2 Likes

One thing Iā€™m not clear on is when I need to self isolate until. I havenā€™t been told to by any of the nurses or doctors to even self isolate at all, and the info online is unclear. When is day 1? Ground zero (the 2-3 days pre symptoms)? The first day of symptoms? The day I tested positive? Iā€™ve seen 5 days and 10 days mentioned, but starting when? Iā€™ve also seen when symptoms are gone, well I ALWAYS have symptoms, as I have a chronic sinus issue. I hear some people can test positive weeks after their first test, so surely that canā€™t be the measure?

For reference, Iā€™m in BC Canada.

2 Likes

@beans_betes

I donā€™t know the Canadian protocol, but I was told (Montana) that the first day of symptoms or the first positive test (which ever is first) is day 0.
Youā€™re supposed to isolate for 5 days, followed by 5 more days where youā€™re supposed to wear a mask in public.
Then, once youā€™re past the 10 days, you supposedly canā€™t catch it or spread it for at least 90 days.

4 Likes

CDC BC has the answers to all your Covid questions

Jim
Your AB Neighbour

5 Likes

The UK rules are here:

The CA [Ontario] rules are here:

(The BC rules are apparently on a site with a broken certificate, so Iā€™m not going to post a link.)

Etc, for example Australia is apparently at 7 days and Taiwan is, I think, broadly similar (my nephew just got fingered); the positive person has to quarantine for 7 days, his family for three.

In all cases you need to do tests. Normally the time period is from the time of the first positive test (itā€™s easier to explain that way, therefore easier to obey!)

The US rules are 5 days:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html

They got re-infected. If you are isolating you are very unlikely to get re-infected during the isolation period (though it is certainly possible) and it is the tests during that period that matter so far as the rule-makers are concerned.

4 Likes

Tomorrow is my 5th day since my positive test. I think Iā€™ll test Friday morning, and I speak w my doctor then too.

4 Likes

@beans_betes how are you actually feeling now? I do hope you are better.

2 Likes

26-May: still congested and snotty first thing, but blood sugars dropped quite rapidly last night and today. Iā€™ve had 4 lows since last night. During the day Iā€™ve been almost normal, but Iā€™m still isolating, so Iā€™m a little sluggish from not moving around too much (I live in a tiny condo). Looking very forward to an outdoor walk tomorrow.

11 Likes