Long Covid high insulin resistance blues

About 6 weeks ago I had a short bout with Covid 19. The vaccinations and actual Covid cause me to have high insulin resistance. 2 weeks ago I started having shortness of breath, incredible fatigue and spiking BG that doesn’t respond to insulin.

Fasting I get dawn phenomenon on steroids. I’ll do multiple corrections, worse after meals.

I am assuming the fatigue is a combination of the shortness of breath and that my body’s cells are resisting insulin so strongly that little glucose can enter to fuel them/me.

Fatigue is a symptom common to all 3 types of diabetes mellitus. In type 1 & type 3c the lack of insulin, for us with type 2 our cells resisting insulin.

I exercise daily, but haven’t been able for 2 weeks. This morning I worked out with less weight and took breaks to rest and breathe.

I know there’s little advice anyone can offer, but it’s nice to be able to share.

9 Likes

Is it possible you’re dealing with a residual respiratory infection? What does your doctor thiink?

Sending gentle hugs your way. :hugs:

3 Likes

My doctors think it is long Covid. My blood O2 is s great when not exerting myself.

I’d like to add that I’ve found over estimating carbs, doubling them, doing a 55/45 extended bolus. I still have to do corrections but keeping BG spikes below 200.

7 Likes

A dear friends son was diagnosed with Long Covid.

Seems these day we just keep going from one battle to the next.

I hope & :pray: for you to have the strength to fight this thing off.

4 Likes

A T1D. A few years ago I had covid. Had to have IV fluids and IV Tylenol. Had a routine CT of my lungs and there were multiple nodules. Went to a pulmonologist and he prescribed an inhaler No one was concerned about the nodules. Only used the inhaler a few times. My Endo gave me as much insulin as I needed. It seemed like gallons. Wasn’t eating at all and still had highs. And Dawn. And the fatigue was just awful. It did pass but took a few months to feel totally myself. Got Covid again last June. Was still pretty sick but only for maybe two weeks. Breathing was ok. Covid sucks for anyone but especially for diabetics. Just got new vaccine. I believe being vaccinated really helped. Hope you feel better soon.

4 Likes

@Jane17 Sorry that you had it worse than me. I did get an IV of saline at the Cancer Center because I tested dehydrated. I don’t know where all that water I was drinking was going, did not have a lot of urine output.

My advice to our community is to keep vaccinations for flu, pneumonia and covid up to date, and maybe RSV.

6 Likes

Update - Things are starting to get better. I am managing to keep my BG in better range, I found that there is a Post lower carb cereal and a Special K Zero that is tasty and doesn’t spike. Instead of milk I’m using Boost Glucose control - pretty tasty.

I found some fruit cups that are no sugar added that taste good.

My problem with food is that many don’t have much taste as a result of the immunotherapy, salt and umami are pretty much gone, sweet and bitter are ok. That’s a blessing because coffee is still a delight.

With increasing insulin sensitivity the fatigue is gone and exercise induced shortness of breath is much better. My last workout with the personal trainer I had to take sit down breaks to catch my breath. I just did an hour with her and needed no breaks. I did breathe a bit harder than before Covid, but not bad.

7 Likes

That’s really great to hear, @CarlosLuis!

Reading your post made me think of this quote.

4 Likes

It makes sense that the combination of insulin resistance and fatigue would hit hard, especially after Covid.

2 Likes