I Forgot to Take My Tresiba!

I have found these vial-protector covers to be helpful.

The color difference helps, and also it protects the vial if you drop it.

This is what is currently in my “wine cellar”.

You have to get the right size. Humalog, NovoLog, Fiasp, Levemir are all the short ones, and I think Apidra and Lantus are the tall ones.

3 Likes

@Eric
Yes, I have these now, but when I ordered them they sent me a tall purple one for Lantus and a short purple one for Humalog. :laughing:

1 Like

:man_facepalming:

I don’t have the short purple one yet, I will need to add that to the collection.
:thinking:

1 Like

I use a black sharpie and put a black T on the bottom of my Tresiba syringes.

Doesn’t help with forgetting but helps with potential switch-ups.

3 Likes

Where do you get tresiba syringes (vials)? I only knew of it being available in pens?

1 Like

I just use the Tresiba pen as “vials” and draw insulin out by inserting the syringe needle into the rubber end cap.

Never been a big fan of the pens - I think they can be problematic and may waste insulin. Also can’t do half or quarter units. Though pens can be handy for some.

But they are great if used as vials. The plunger will adjust itself as you draw insulin out with no need to use the dial setting or button.

I also like the 3ml size seems like a better size and a more closed system - but this is conjecture.

1 Like

Sounds like a good strategy… causes me concern for the larger audience because tresiba is available in u100 and u200 concentrations—- so to anyone reading this YOU CAN NOT DIRECTLY MEASURE U200 TRESIBA IN A U100 SYRINGE OR YOU WILL BE DOUBLING YOUR DOSE!!!’

I’ve been all over the Internet in discussions about that subject and I’d say the understanding level is about 20%… given that’s it’s critically important to understand— I feel the shouting CAPS are completely justified!

6 Likes

I take Tresiba in vials. I always worry about taking the wrong insulin so I take Humalog in a pen and Tresiba in syringes. Kaiser is able to get them for me.

I always worry about forgetting my Tresiba. I don’t think I have ever actually forgotten it but every morning, I spend way too much time wondering if I took it or not.

3 Likes

I didn’t even think they made it in vials due to the potential of mis-measuring a dose of u100 vs u200 in a syringe

I think all vials are U100, so U100 syringes always get correct dose.
(Add: all insulin bottles for humans!)

Tresiba pens come in U100 or U200 concentration, so correct dosing if done directly from pen it came in.

Only concern is those using syringes to withdraw from pen. They must be careful!!!

1 Like

According to the Tresiba site, it is available in pens or vials:

Tresiba® is available from pharmacies in the following ways:

• 100 units/milliliter (U-100): Tresiba® FlexTouch® (5 pens/pack)
  • 200 units/milliliter (U-200): Tresiba® FlexTouch® (3 pens/pack)
  • 100 units/milliliter (U-100): Tresiba® multiple-dose, 10-mL vial (1 vial/pack)
1 Like

This thread jinxed me.

I just got my Tresiba U100 pens refilled day after Xmas.

When I pulled the pens out of the fridge for for my first dose with new pens I noticed the pens looked different. Dark green vs neon green labelling and buttons.

Sure enough my pharmacy dispensed two U200 pens of Tresiba instead of two U100 pens. The RX bag sticker clearly states U100.

I use U100 syringes - so I just halved the morning and evening doses of Tresiba.

They were slammed the day after Christmas so must have slipped past in the fury.

1 Like

Could always just use pen tip needles

True👍

So you basically got twice as much insulin from pharmacy, at the U100 price? What a nice Christmas gift from the pharmacy. Glad you knew to cut the dosage in half via U100 syringe. Dispensing units from U200 pen would have done same in terms of volume of insulin delivered.

1 Like

While it’s a cool deal you got free insulin, I’m positive there are people out there who would NOT have realized it was U200. I’m so glad you did.

3 Likes

I’ll just start refilling Rx’s around major holidays moving forward to see if I can cash in $$$…

I’ve found its ALWAYS a good idea to open any rx packages before leaving the pickup counter at a pharmacy to verify it’s the right stuff… worked out in this case but there are other times where it can cause a real headache and it’s something they do get wrong sometimes

I’ve had a pharmacy give me Novolin 70/30 instead of novolog

5 Likes

That’s great advice actually. I visually check the packages, but now they’ve started breaking out the insulin pens and reboxing them it’s a lot sketchier.

I’ve not encountered this but if I did I’d immediately contact my prescriber to ensure my rx equated to exactly a full box or 2. I’d find this unacceptable…