I Forgot to Take My Tresiba!

Yesterday morning I was in a daze. In my compromised state I neglected to take my morning dose of 42u of Tresiba. Of course I had no recollection of not taking it.

All hell broke loose at about 11pm. All I had to eat for dinner was a couple of eggs, bacon and sausage, but my Bg went sky high.

Between 11 pm and 9 am I took 100u of Novolog, to no avail. At 9 am I went to take Tresiba and noted the Timesulin cap read 48 hours! No more wondering why I had that irremediable high.

I hope I don’t forget my Tresiba again.

8 Likes

Oh, Doc, hope you’re feeling better today!!!

2 Likes

100u of novolog… wow…

1 Like

@Sam Desperate times call for desperate measures. I had a rebound low at about 11 am this morning.

@docslotnick I’m glad you got through that and it sounds like you’re back to your old self!

1 Like

@docslotnick
I have posted a few things on ways to remember the dose. Even when it is a daily thing, sometimes it can be forgotten

Can you tell me about your routine, how you take it? Are you always using a new needle? Do you take it in the morning?

This can be useful. Just to see the needle still in the pill container tells you that you did not take it!

Reference link:

5 Likes

What a great idea! … for those who don’t reuse needles! This might even be a game-changer for those who don’t change needles, to begin to change needles, lol.

4 Likes

Right, even if you don’t change the needle, just seeing the needle still in the compartment later in the day tells you that you didn’t take your basal!

If you reuse the needle, you simply take the new needle out of the compartment after doing your basal.

2 Likes

Perfect!

1 Like

Sorry everyone, the Amazon link I posted shows that it is unavailable.

Here is a different one that looks kind of flexible, and it has an alarm.

The main thing is to find one that will be big enough to fit the needle.

1 Like

A battery powered alarm clock is a pretty good reminder, I only resort to that during exceptionally hectic times when I just can’t remember anything… that in combo with the timesulin caps is pretty bulletproof…

Though I’ve encountered more than a few glitches with the timesulin caps… sometimes they just zero out on their own free will without being opened, which of course defeats their purpose

3 Likes

I had one that was kind of loose and would reset itself a lot. That actually made it worse than not having the cap and not having a “timestamp” on a dose.

I am not sure if this applies in the sea, but I believe in the idea that “No information is better than bad information”. And I guess it depends on the situation. But for the timesulin caps, I stopped using it because of the frequently incorrect info it was giving me.

1 Like

Yeah they need to bump up their quality control a little. It’s a great concept just a mediocre execution

2 Likes

And on the philosophical side of things, is “no information” better than “bad information”?

1 Like

That’s debatable… it depends on the users ability to recognize bad information… which varies widely from one person to the next in different situations

2 Likes

@Eric I have a big cup of coffee right after I take my morning meds, including Tresiba. The coffee reminds me, and I can’t function without a cup of coffee, so it’s almost foolproof. I don’t know how it got by me, but I guess that’s just a symptom of getting old :worried:

5 Likes

I have had the problem of driving down the driveway and turning towards work, and then suddenly not being able to remember if I took my shot. Now I have a pre-shot routine that includes calculating my dose, writing it in my log and then taking the shot and writing the time I took it. This also helps knowing when to eat when I “pre-bolus”.
I did have an incident in the past where I mixed up the Lantus and Humalog at night and took 15 u of Humalog.:astonished: Before Dexcom, so had to stay up all night and shovel glucose in. Now I keep Lantus in the bedroom away from Humalog. Scary.

7 Likes

@docslotnick
Just the other day I had a bad low and despite my attempt not to, I over treated. Ended up at 300. So at dinner I corrected, took Humalog for the food and for the correction. The correction insulin did nothing, and I ended up back where I started. Always hard to get those really high highs down.

4 Likes

Ugh, that sounds horrible! Was it from a pen?

That was one nice thing about the old-school NPH. It was cloudy, so you always knew which one was the NPH. I am guessing you took a few NPH injections back in the day too, huh?

1 Like

@Eric
Yes, I took my share of NPH! :slight_smile: It always made me feel like I was “chasing” the insulin, or having to eat to keep up with the insulin.
The mix up between Lantus and Humalog was with a syringe (which is what I still use). Now I keep them in separate rooms, the Lantus in the bedroom since I take it at night, and that puts an end to mixing them up.

2 Likes