Cheap Solution to Basal Shot Reminders

So, we have had an issue remembering to inject basal this baseball season. We are happy pumpers, but every year for baseball we go with an untethered approach for 1/2 of his basal insulin. So every day we inject half of his basal amount, and have a profile on the pump to only deliver half of the insulin. That way when he has to be disconnected from his pump for 3+ hours for warm-ups and the game, his diabetes is pretty easy to manage.

Unfortunately, because we don’t do this very often, i.e. only 1/3 of the year, and additionally because my son is 15 and only has access to 10% of his brain function due to teenage hubris, he was forgetting to take his basal insulin 3/7 days which was really screwing things up. When I went to pick up some prescriptions at Walgreens I found this pill reminder box that looked big enough for pen needles. We now have our solution! Hasn’t missed but one dose since. I thought this might be helpful to know.

6 Likes

I like your idea! :slight_smile:

Actually, I wish I had shared this earlier and maybe saved some headaches. I posted about this a year ago on TuD. I do the same thing when going to MDI.

BTW, you think a teen can’t remember stuff? Sheesh, wait until he is an old dude.

2 Likes

Yes - What a great reminder!

I like your idea…

Here’s what I use

Timesulin Pen Cap For Novo Nordisk FlexTouch - 1 each

They’re available for all models of pens and if you shop around you can find them for like $12… I just got it a few months ago and don’t know how I lived without it. I only use it for basal… it’s not difficult to remember to take bolus when I eat or otherwise need to…

4 Likes

Does it alarm, or just tell you how many hours since the last shot? What is nice about the pill/shot boxes is it is easy to see if it was used when walking by and remind if it was missed.

1 Like

It’s just a stopwatch this starts when cap is opened For more than a few seconds

1 Like

Something like this might also work, if a pen needle fits in there. This one has an alarm.

2 Likes

I also use the pen lid @Sam posted. It’s been incredibly helpful. By looking at it, you can see how long it’s been since you last dosed. It’s also about the same size as the pen, so I’m not carrying around any additional cumbersome materials.

Truly, I’ve loved this little gadget. It’s been a big help!

2 Likes

And it’s exactly zero additional steps in ones life

(IPhone)

2 Likes