How to order G6 and other Dexcom supplies from Costco

Ok, I duckduckgoed this phrase “CMPP Pricing for Dexcom G6 (also listed on CMPP website)”, this lead me to THIS web page:

Which works at present but will no doubt become invalid in a short time.

Alas, no lower price; exactly the same at CostCo as everywhere else (well the prices there match the WalMart price which I recently paid).

Anyone know the price in Mexico? (I am REALLY not joking; I’d rather spend $1000 bucks to go down there for a week or so and buy some sensors at a reasonable price than spend $1000 bucks on a three month supply of sensors…)

EDIT: just checked, not available in Mexico as of a year ago (per Reddit r/dexcom) Guess I’ll learn the Abbott stuff.

2 Likes

@jbowler Vancouver, BC; Quebec City, Montreal, etc all very nice in the summertime…!

1 Like

Is a prescription required in CA? (So far as I know most countries don’t require a prescription; it’s just a blood test meter.) Definitely a possibility as the northern summer comes round; Vancouver is twice the distance of Portland (OR) for us; somewhat ironically we would go through Vancouver half way there :slight_smile: too.

The most likely problem is that the price won’t be any lower; Dexcom seem to have deliberately maintained an inflated price because they weren’t approved in other countries (something of a chicken and egg problem), but Abbott is now live and the UK recommendations are changing to CGM-for-all so I anticipate they will drop their price PDQ.

1 Like

@jbowler
Are you a CostCo member? I used to get my Dexcom stuff from Costco, before Medicare, but via insurance. I did have to buy a transmitter once without insurance, and the pharmacy tech told me it was cheaper for members. We are members, but turns out they don’t advertise the cheaper price. She told me what the member price (without insurance) would be, and then said to be sure and mention that price when I picked it up at the pharmacy. You might give them a call and ask.

1 Like

@jbowler hmmm, it looks like you may need a prescription in Canada. I figured maybe it would be easier, like with insulin and over the border pharmacies. Might be worth a call? Then visiting BOTH Vancouvers (my sister lived in the Portland-adjacent one!). Hoping that you find that Dexcom is priced more reasonably in Canada and you can make a nice trip out of it. I loved Victoria Island and biking around Vancouver Island.

1 Like

It’s in the link I posted above; the links on the very original post don’t work any more (the original post was Feb 2019, CostCo seem to have moved everything round). The sensor price is still $300 (for a month supply.)

2 Likes

That’s crazy! With insurance, before Medicare, I was paying $100 for a 90-day supply of sensors from Costco.

1 Like

I pay $0 once my insurance kicks in, but it doesn’t kick in until I’ve paid $6000 (I’m in the US). Of course I pay that every year, so no problem, but my wife doesn’t and, anyway, the insurance company wouldn’t cover it because she isn’t a diabetic (she just has post prandial blood sugar issues; something we didn’t know until we tried the CGM).

It’s probably not going to be an issue; now we can see the problem it should be possible for the doc to diagnose a treatment, continuing to use a CGM isn’t likely to be helpful (more of the same information).

2 Likes