How long can an Omnipod scream?

We threw Samson’s expired Omnipod in the trash, and then a bunch of other trash went over it. It started screaming several hours later. Should I dig through the trash to deactivate it? ?How long can it scream? I’m also debating just taking out the trash but I wonder if it will be distracting to my neighbors to hear beeping from my trash bins…

6 Likes

Quite a while. I would take out the trash and let your neighbors think a bomb is in there.

7 Likes

It will get quieter, the more trash you pile on top of it. :joy:

Seriously though, you might not need to dig through the garbage. If you get close enough to it, you might be able to deactivate it through the garbage, from the outside. Maybe pull the bag out of the can, if the pod is in a metal garbage can.

I deactivate pods that are in the garbage can a lot, but they are usually at the top.

3 Likes

You had a screamer after you deactivated and removed it? Or expired as in you never even used it at all?

3 Likes

I can almost totally obscure the noise when it is attached by putting my hand over it. The noise is only loud because the thing can vibrate freely, in air it can move. I wouldn’t worry; after half an hour it stops beeping and starts singing. You could probably YouTube the neighbors trying to work out what is going on and make quite a lot of money.

7 Likes

The only time I’ve actually slept on my Pod is if it starts screaming and I need another 30 mins of sleep. It’s amazing that the sound is completely drowned out when it’s between me and the mattress!

7 Likes

Yes! And if you rip it off and throw it against the wall quite apart from the damage to the wall it just keeps on doing it. Several people have told me to “sleep on it” and, in this case, it does actually seem to be a good idea.

4 Likes

IDK if this is the same with the Dash, but I used to (on the advice of someone from TUDiabetes) put a pin or paperclip into the small hole in the back of the Omnipod and it would stop “screaming”. I’ve also thrown them in the freezer and that seems to stop them, though they start up again when they are taken out to thaw LOL

6 Likes

Too long. I put it in a cup of water and place it in the freezer. Its satisfying :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Then when it is frozen you can have unusual ice for your bourbon or scotch. Seems like a win win.

3 Likes

Indeed… a Negroni to be precise.

1 Like

Ah… But is there an easter egg in there? Does it, perhaps, play the Red Flag for 59 seconds after 19 hours and 17 minutes? Perhaps it plays the theme tune of Jaws just before the batteries fail?

2 Likes

I thought I heard the God Father theme.

1 Like

Indeed, time for serious research. Omnipod, the final days, a collected set of 10 CDs documenting the death of an Omnipod, copyright (c) Insulet (in absentia) and others, nameless.

EDIT: ■■■■; my math sucks. 100 CDs.

Well there is a drink called a Screaming Orgasm, for which a screaming pod would be an appropriate garnish. (But looking at the ingredients, I wonder if a more apt name might be Passed Out and Totally Missed the Opportunity.)

4 Likes