Omnipod Dash PDM Sound

Hey everyone,

As you may or may not be aware you can disable the pod sound by hitting the kill switch before you put on you pod (and the pod still works!).

However, the PDM still beeps (and never stays on vibrate mode :roll_eyes:). Granted not as loud as the Pod but still would like the ability to temporarily or permanently disable the speaker so I can bring my PDM to meetings without it going off.

Some options I have thought of:

• Sound proof pouch

problem: haven’t been able to find anything that doesn’t also block Bluetooth which defeats the point of having the pouch (still might try this if there are no better options)

• Headphone Jack

The dash comes with a headphone jack but I’m not sure an alert will only come through headphones and not the speaker as well.

• Taping the speaker

I tried this with electrical tape and scotch tape and it didn’t have a noticeable impact.

• Disabling the speaker via code

I’m in the IT field so I think I have the technical skills to do this but I’m hesitant to attempt to gain access to the code. At least not without some more intimate knowledge of the PDM code.

Does anyone else have any ideas (I’m willing to experiment) or solution they have tried?

Thanks!

(PS. An easy solution might be switching pumps. But, I live an active lifestyle and really don’t see tubing as an option for me. In addition to the fact I want to be as discrete as possible.)

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with the Dash. I use Omnipod Eros pods, the older version of Omnipod. I use it with Loop on my iphone, which takes the place of the PDM. In Loop, you can disable the Pod beeps. Loop is integrated with Dexcom CGM, so it will adjust insulin based on your BG values and settings.

2 Likes

Have you tried rooting it?

1 Like

No, I hadn’t thought of that actually, but if it’s an android based device that in theory should work. I assume Omnipod has some security on it but I’d be more comfortable trying this than just editing pure code. I might try this, thanks!

3 Likes

I use omnipod classic and Dexcom g6. I’m certainly no hacker or techie, AT ALL, but I’m trying to find ways to silence this infernal thing because the sound is destroying my life. I was thinking of finding a nerdy friend that might help me pop that sucker open, mess with whatever circuitry is needed to disable all sound making potential, but…hacking into the programming part sounds way less potentially destructive. If you succeed, can you please share as much info as possible?? :hugs:

2 Likes

Hi @Gidget! Welcome to FUD.

Does it not have a volume control?

Possibly an easy solution - what happens if you plug in a headphone jack?

A more permanent and irreversible solution - fill the speaker opening on the phone with J-B Weld or any type of epoxy. That won’t completely silent it, but it will make it almost perfectly quiet.

I think the speaker is on the back bottom of the phone.

Also, since this is your first post on FUD, I feel that a proper welcome is in order!

1 Like

Thanks, Eric! It does not have a volume control, or any jacks whatsoever. It takes (2) double a batteries, and only has an insert for a glucose testing strip. I just did some research on here, and seems most people are “looping” it, which I’m looking into. I have called and complained repeatedly to the manufacturer, but they say it’s a “safety issue” and cannot be turned off. There is also no speaker visible from the outside, so I can’t even cram something in there, or I would have already done it haha. But I do appreciate the suggested attempts to outsmart it. Seems like looping is the better option. I just ordered a RileyLink compatible device online, so when it’s delivered, if I have trouble, I’ll certainly use this site as a very valuable resource. For the record, I’ve been type one diabetic since 1986, three days after my first birthday. So I’m a lifer, and have been giving diabetes the finger since I was a child, so this makes me sooo very happy to see haha. I will be back for sure. Thanks again for everything!

1 Like

Oh, sorry @Gidget! I thought you were talking about the Dash version of the PDM. Just because of this thread being about the OmniPod Dash sound.

So you are on the older version of the PDM. I am familiar with it.

Okay, what sounds are troubling you? On the PDM itself, you can turn off all sounds except for a) when there is a pod alarm, and b) when you set a zero basal (that one just does a quick beep-beep).

The only other sounds are when you interact with it. Like if the pod is about to expire, the pod will make noise, but not the PDM (unless you turn the PDM on).

1 Like

I am ditching my dash to go back to Eros. What a waste
That experience was. In Canada the “pdm” (old Samsung phones) was $6300.

Besides a couple of updates like Bluetooth and touch screen it is a poorly released “upgrade”.

Perfectly functional but locked solid. They keep promising updates, but until mine will be warranty for the 24hr battery dead issue and left untouched.

I do not like the Dash at all. I wish other “tubeless” option came to Canada.

Interesting in the loop with Libre…

4 Likes