High Sugars from Psyllium?

Hi! I’m a type 1 on a pump, newer to this board. Not sure if this category is the correct place for this message, since it’s a supplement, not a medicine…

My new dietician/diabetes educator recommended psyllium powder to help lower blood sugars, cut cholesterol, yada yada……

I tried the psyllium powder for 4 days, and it raised my blood sugar to the 270’s - TWICE on 2 different days - and I had a hard time reducing my sugars!!

This all stopped when I stopped taking the psyllium.

Has any type 1 had psyllium raise their blood sugars??

I’m waiting for a different brand psyllium to be delivered to try… just trying to figure out what might be going on with the psyllium sugar rise!!

2 Likes

Interesting. I’ve not heard of this before. I used psyllium with a glass of water to add fiber before and I don’t believe it effected my BGs.

1 Like

I have not noticed a BG rise from it.

1 Like

Some psyllium had added sugar—- I assume you’re buying the ones that are labeled sugar free? I’ve not had any problems with the sugar free ones…. They’re actually advertised to stabilize blood sugars

3 Likes

how about trying chia seeds instead?. Great fiber and far more nutritious than psyllium. I put mine in my evening yoghurt with a small teaspoon of jam and some almond butter. Delicious! My dog gets some also

6 Likes

I do this, too. I add chia, flax and hemp seeds, with various berries and fruit, to yoghurt. It is delicious!

2 Likes

Diabetics use psyllium that is “sugar free”- I use Orange flavor Sugar Free Metamucil regularly. No BS spikes!
Best to you…

1 Like