Stopped Chewing Gum

never thought this would matter much, but i was, now that i look back to it, a compulsive sugar-free gum chewer. i noticed that from time to time my BG would rise after chewing several pieces of gum, but i never thought much of it.

then i was dx with D Gastroparises and i could no longer tolerate gum, so i handed my left-overs to my husband and gave up my habit. it was not easy at first. i know that that might sound very silly, but it was like people who cannot just have one potato chip; they have to eat the whole bag. well my gum chewing days came to an abrupt stop.

over about 6 months now, i have noticed changes in my BG. more controlled, less of an unexpected rise, etc etc.

i know that this is a silly thread, but i was just wondering if anyone else out there is a gum chewer and if they have ever noticed problems of any form with it.

dont be embarrassed; chime in. no judgements here :blush:

1 Like

Not silly @daisymae. Was a compulsive chewer for years and now occasionally pop one (garlic au jus anyone)? BG’s way more stable. I have always believed that, as the body seems to recognize artificial sweeteners almost like straight sugar, that the metabolic effect had something to do with it. I have stayed (mostly) away from sweeteners in general. Figure if that’s going to happen I may as well go for the good stuff!

1 Like

i have this issue with SPLENDA, which i use in my morning decaf. i use an embarrassing amount (6 of those innocuous looking bags) i have to account for 20 gms of carbs just to drink my decaf!! (thank god i only have one cup per day! :blush:

1 Like

Not discounting your experience with gum, but it seems to me over the past six months or a year, you’ve done an enormous amount to bring your diabetes into line, when it comes to exercise, figuring out bolusing, changing endos, and more. Not chewing gum anymore may be coincidental?

1 Like

This is really interesting! There are some hormones that spur a rise in blood sugar the moment food is chewed in people with T1D – in people who do not have T1D, the body simultaneously initiates a second pathway that keeps down blood sugar rises associated with chewing. From what I understand, that’s part of why T1Ds spike so severely after food – it’s not just that the insulin is too slow for the food, it’s that the body starts spewing out sugar the moment food touches the lips.
I need to do some Googling to make sure I’m remembering this correctly. I feel like it may have to do with GLP or amylin or something… ugh

this is entirely possible. perhaps its the accumulation of everything i’ve changed :sunny: i dont know what made me think about the gum today. hummm…

I vaguely recall reading something similar. But the sensors can’t distinguish between types of food. So @daisymae’s BG response would be the same whether she was chewing gum or cheesecake, no?

In fact I would have expected the opposite result, since in a few studies gum-chewing has been shown to decrease appetite.

However, there’s also this study, where “fewer bites per mouthful, at a slower chewing rate, were associated with lower blood sugar levels” could well apply to gum-chewing.

I think the difference is that if you’re chewing gum you’re not taking any insulin. If you’re eating, you are…so maybe the rise effect is being masked.

1 Like