GP wears Freestyle Libre

Personally I’m not on Twitter, but the account from British GP Simon Tobin, @DocRunner1, was brought to my attention. As a non-diabetic he wore a Freestyle Libre for 2 weeks and shared his experiences finding out how different kinds of food affect his BG on Twitter. Normally he is on an LCHF diet, as he mentions in a tweet, but for this experiment he tried various high carb drinks and meals, some requested by fellow twitterers. It’s interesting to see how his BG spikes after eating these meals.
This thread contains most of his tweets about the experiment:

8 Likes

Nice.

Very interesting plus funny.

The huge spike on the McD’s meal was super surprising. We don’t eat there because it makes me nauseous and pretty much everything has gluten but still I would have expected the large amount of protein/fat to really slow the carbs up a lot and suppress any spike.

3 Likes

It’s really surprising that his blood sugar spikes for hours sometimes. I wouldn’t have thought that would happen for someone without diabetes.

I have heard that eating low-carb can make your body less good at processing carbs…that’s why people are supposed to eat a high-carb diet for a period of time before getting a glucose tolerance test. So I wonder if his results would be different and handle carbs better if he consistently ate a high-carb diet for a while.

2 Likes

I dare you to post this on the berenstein Facebook group.

These are great experiments that are excellent case studies of what normal actually is.

Unfortunately all too often drowned out and diminished by not so smart people saying “well… you just have diabetes too and don’t know it…” or some variation of “if your blood sugar isn’t 83 all the time you have diabetes”

4 Likes

@Sam

I had seriously considered wearing a cgm some time back.

But then decided the only outcome was what you said. I already know a non-diabetic does not stay at 83. And has dips and rises. And different people will have different levels to their dips and rise.

And you can’t convince somebody of anything they don’t want to hear via anonymous internet posts.

So figured why bother. No point.

2 Likes

Yeah… there was a famous endocrinologist who wore one and did a write-up a couple years ago… remarked about how he spiked to 200 after big meals etc… it went online and the response was “you have diabetes, idiot” instead of taking any real value from it… unfortunate people are so close minded.

I put a cgm on my wife a few months ago for a week or so and was actually surprised that she didn’t see much spikes at all…

2 Likes

That is true.

If the human body was simple we wouldn’t even have this conversation.

1 Like

That’s funny, because when I’m on a trip somewhere and need to eat something, McD is often about the only place I know where at least the french fries are gluten free and some here have gluten free burgers as well. That’s why I sometimes, despite the fact that almost everything contains gluten, eat there. The quality isn’t good; the fries are more like salt with fries. It’s ridiculous. But it’s better than nothing.

2 Likes

Yes, I think he mentions that somewhere in response to a tweet.

I had almost forgotten about Bernstein’s absurd redefinition of diabetes. Yeah, it would be funny to post this in his Facebook group. Too bad I don’t have a facebook account :grin:

2 Likes

They would immediately shout you down with pre-made memes… because, you know, using actual sentences to express ideas and differing viewpoints is just so outdated…

1 Like

Fascinating, the amount of time he was high i.e. 2-3 hours when eating high carb, makes me think my son is even more amazing for how well he manages his condition! I am going to tell him great job more often.

4 Likes

Wow fascinating. I always wondered how non diabetics reacted to food and exercise. I have the same reaction to interval training like spin cycle which raises my BS. Riding a bike does not. Some foods that should spike my BS don’t and others do. Interesting about the pasta but truthfully I love my zucchini noodles. Thank you for an interesting post.

2 Likes