HEY what would be the cause of a Dexcom g6 transmitter from going out?

Hey I have had a signal loss of my G6 transmitter for quite a while and this was one that was installed less than a month ago. This is the 2nd one Dexcom has had to send me pre maturely now because of signal loss. Using my phone app, but now trying to pair it with the receiver and it is not finding the transmitter either.
Have noticed this happening right after being employed at an arcade, laser tag and blow up obstacle course thing. Could it be that the arcade games are destroying the transmitters or the laser tag tech is doing it? The laser tag is in a whole different room so I don’t know how that could be doing it? Maybe just a bad building having strong blue tooth vibes or wii fii set ups?
If anyone knows, please let me know. I doubt arcade games have anything to do with it as they don’t operate bluethooth things I don’t think? Especially old machines.

2 Likes

I have not played laser tag in many years, but I have still had transmitters die early. I’ve had 2 G6 transmitters in the past year give up much earlier than they were supposed to.

Pretty sure you just got a bad transmitter and it has nothing to do with the environment.

3 Likes

I am going to agree with Eric that most likely you got a couple of bad transmitters. We have had one in the last year. Also, once we got a whole box of bad sensors. I doubt there is anything at an arcade (even laser tag) that would cause your transmitter to die prematurely. Cool job though. I used to be a game room attendant when the “old” machines were new.

5 Likes

Ok thanks guys. Its strange because it happened the 1st time even when the laser tag and the arcade machines and the blowers of the blow up obstacle course weren’t a thing because it wasn’t fully up and running yet, so wondering what the heck is near the location or in the building itself or just bad transmitters all together

2 Likes

Unless you are exposing those transmitters to high amounts of direct radiation I don’t think there is much that externally that could be causing the problem. The only time we have had lower than expected life that we thought we were the problem was when we were constantly having bluetooth connection problems and thought maybe that ate up a lot of the battery life. Good news is that Dexcom didn’t care and replaced it.

3 Likes

Does being in the arcade permanently disable the transmitter? Or does the signal return at some point after you leave the building?

I ask because I always get lost signal whenever I enter an Apple store. I assume it is due to the multiple Bluetooth signals from all of the devices interferes with the transmitter signal. The G6 signal returns within minutes after exiting the store.

1 Like

Yes, it disables the transmitter and when I go out of the building it gets restored if the whole thing doesn’t get destroyed before hand.

2 Likes

@Nobeac Yes, I don’t think there is anything that can prevent the signal drop due to the surrounding BT interference. :frowning:

1 Like

Seems like the new transmitter sent is working fine so far. Must have just been bad transmitters.

2 Likes

I have just had my third transmitter die from signal loss in a row. First transmitter lasted 5 weeks, and the next two died after 2 days. No other alerts or errors, just signal loss at the same time on both my phone and tslim pump. The first xmitter was made in March 2021, and the other two were October and November 2020. All serial numbers start with an 8. The only constant for me is the use of a 5G smartphone and a Bluetooth smartwatch. This is beyond frustrating getting two sensors in a row that I received on Thursday and then promptly died on Saturday. The worst part is dexcom’s 3-5 business day shipping. I have been without a cgm for 3 weeks, and now I have to wait another week for yet another replacement.

2 Likes

I will also add that as a new CGM and pump user, I have experienced a 100% failure rate for the G6 transmitters. I don’t think there is any way a company can survive with a defect ratio that high.

1 Like

That is just AWFUL!!! I don’t understand why they haven’t overnighted supplies to you! :flushed:

1 Like

I just finished with the call to tech support for the 3rd failure and requested overnight shipping. They agreed but Dexcom only ships Monday-Friday, so I still have to wait until Tuesday or Wednesday. Additionally they tried having me turn bluetooth off for a few minutes and then on again, and they wanted me to uninstall & reinstall the Dexcom G6 app (a request I rejected). I do not have high hopes for the replacement. Does anybody know what the official failure rate is for Dexcom G6 sensors and transmitters?

2 Likes

Annoying I am so sorry to hear that. Bunch of people in the same boat but not sure what the fail rates are.

1 Like

In our time with the G6, we have only had one transmitter failure. Three in a row, would give me pause. We have had a good number of sensor failures, but these are easily handled. Did all of your trasmitters come from the same batch?

1 Like

Sorry for the delay Chris. The transmitters all have different LOT numbers, though there is some commonality between the first few digits. Below is what I have in order of receipt:

LOT , Mfg date , SN , lived duration
5288172, 2021-03-04, 8REPSX, 7 weeks
5281486, 2020-10-18, 8MUEFA, 2 days
7283041, 2020-11-25, 8KX663, 1.5 days

Hopefully the web keeps the simple whitespace formatting…

Tandem had me check the cgm alert history for the first and third, and I found nothing more than signal loss on both occasions.

The fourth cgm has been running for 2.5 days so far, I’ll reply to this if it croaks too.

1 Like

If you have the same problem again, and I sincerely hope you don’t, you might call Tandem regarding your CGM issue because they do ship all weekend long, - even for Dexcom products.

1 Like

Dexcom transferred me to Tandem when the second one failed. They(Tandem) put a replacement order in with Dexcom, which only ships Mon-Fri.

1 Like

I have constant issues where I cannot get readings on my iPhone and I was frequently trying to pair my CGM to my phone. I spoke with Dexcom and with my cell carrier. In addition, I have an external battery case from a 3rd party provider on my phone. Dexcom told me they had only integrated to one iPhone software update that was at least 3 versions back from what IOS update I had already installed. The Cell phone carrier rep tried to clean up some of my conflicting apps/programs. The end result is I still cannot stay connected to my G6. So, I depend regularly on my pump info to give me the most reliable BS readings. It is frustrating when they all tout Bluetooth connectivity yet they are not more in sync in connectivity. I share your frustration and I think Dexcom needs to step up their integration to the IOS platform.

1 Like

I use to play on game machines when they were electromechanical, pinball, bowling and baseball, then we graduated to 8 ball with an advanced degree in snooker and billiards.

2 Likes