Help decide: should Madge Cat move to CA?

Question for cat lovers: now that we are moving to CA we are preparing our cats’ move as well. But I worry about one of them, Madgie: she had a bad virus infection as a kitten when we purchased her that caused some neural damage, and she is afraid of nothing: birds, humans, other animals, cars…

In WI we lived in a rural area with no traffic, and Madge somehow survived foxes, raccoons and bald eagles for 10 years. But, in CA, we will live on the edge of town, with plenty of cars, coyote and mountain lions (they take big dogs out of yards at night).

Therefore my question: should we leave Madge at the farm where she is in Maine, or bring her back to live with us in CA when we arrive?

2 Likes

@Michel If you will be up on Grizzly Peak road/ Tilden Park or thereabouts, there are plenty of outdoor cats about. Yes, some do go missing to support the food chain, but it’s not often you see a sign up about a missing cat.

2 Likes

Yes, we will be right there. Nice guess!

2 Likes

I saw a small pack of coyotes up there last Thursday (Male and 2 pups, so mama is probably close by), lots of turkeys, and a doe with her fawn. All within 100 feet of the road, but down towards the observatory/golf coarse side of things. Just turkeys towards the reservoir. Not sure if that helps or not.

2 Likes

I saw a coyote walk down the street in the heart of San Francisco recently – near the Castro. I personally would feel uncomfortable with having a free-roaming outdoor cat in this area. WE do let our cat outside in our backyard, but there are three brick walls and I still feel nervous if she’s outside overnight. If Madge is happy being a Mainer, then I’d leave her there, as sad as that might make you.

2 Likes

Leave her. If she’s happy.

There are plenty of cats that need great homes. If Madge has a happy life and can cut it in Maine (burrrr!) then allow her to live that out. I say this because a friend just lost an indoor-turned-outdoor cat to a coyote in a very civilized neighborhood in my town recently and that’s hard in its own way. The cat had been outside for three years, to give it some scope. Their other cat was beating her up, and so she became an outdoor kitty.

Also, I’m SO glad to see you. I was literally wonder what you were up to this morning! Good luck with the move. And the kitty decision. Tough decision and I wish you the best.

Also, unrelated, Eric and I are in the Bay Area this week too. He’s busy with work. Any Bay Area peeps, hit me up for coffee (or tea or a walk or…)

2 Likes

If she has adapted well to life in Maine, I would not move her to CA.

My cat rescue friend lives on 20 acres with a feral colony, her rescue facility, and her own clowder. She recommends and uses this fencing system to make her yard safe for them:

5 Likes

I’m not anywhere near CA but I can attest that the coyotes are having a good year in my area of the country. I’ve never seen so many on our game cameras…until this year, that is.

3 Likes

That’s fascinating about an outdoor cat fence! Thanks for sharing. :::stuffs info in brain for later use:::

3 Likes

Very cool system and link! It is making me think.

2 Likes

I agree with the others, leave Madge on the farm in Maine. She’s a farm cat now and probably would not be happy in the city.

2 Likes

I agree. Let him stay.

2 Likes