Grocery shopping with high BG

So, I went to the store to get broccoli to go with dinner. This (and only this) is what I came back with.
:woman_facepalming:

17 Likes

I’ve done stuff like that with low BS,not so much with high.

6 Likes

I’ve had some funny purchases when low. Like going to the checkout with a bunch of half-eaten stuff.

6 Likes

This makes me feel better lol I’m not the only one!!

5 Likes

Definitely been there with lows. Yes ice cream. And I also may snack and bring empty packaging to check out. Of course then I go high.

5 Likes

Nick’s ice cream is sweetened with allulose and doesn’t raise BG much.

2 Likes

Thanks Gretchen. I do like Simple Truth keto ice cream. Still lots of calories but doesn’t raise BS much. Will try Nicks. Where do I buy? Have never seen in my supermarkets.

1 Like

Oh, those high munchies. I max out on the cheese; show me a fine display with lots of cheese on it and I will need a second basket.

The Tillamook MudSlide has its merits; strangely icecream doesn’t super-boost my blood glucose in the way that the other product does. Nevertheless, I’m certainly with you; don’t shop while high and don’t shop while hungry either. For certain shopping while low is fine; there has to be some joy, or at least excess, in life.

4 Likes

What is Simple Truth sweetened with?

Different regions of the country have different products in supermarkets.

gretchen

1 Like

I believe erythritol. Where do you live? I looked up Nick’s. My local Safeway is supposed to carry so I will check next time I am there.

1 Like

I live in southern Vermont but mostly shop in northern Massachusetts.

gretchen

1 Like

I am from Massachusetts. Used to ride my motorcycle to Vermont. So beautiful. In Arizona now. Don’t like the cold. Thanks again for the info.

1 Like

This reply was updated to include links to "monkfruit" and "monk fruit extract" because both of these are high-intensity sweeteners.

It’s a Kroger trademark, so a branch name. It’s meant to be “organic”; I’ve seen “Stevia Extract” used a lot. Not sure I’d count that as organic since I can make pretty much anything if I’m allowed to do an extraction; it is one of the fundaments of alchemy.

They do also list sugar alcohols in the couple of things I checked. My guess is that the alcohol is there for physical reasons; sugars are important in the formulation of things like icecream and the glycosides in Stevia (the plant) probably aren’t going to behave the same way. Anyway, if the sweetness really is 50-150 times that of sucrose it isn’t a good idea to eat it in the same quantities as sucrose…

My understanding is that this is why sugar alcohols end up being used - they are necessary to the (cooking) chemistry because the original ingredient, sugar (sucrose), is not being used. The sweetener, whether it is steviol or saccharin or aspartame, doesn’t much matter.

So in this case the sugar alcohol is not being used as a sweetner; it’s there to make the icecream chemistry work. The sweetner is something else. Here’s the ingredients list from Kroger’s web site for Simple Truth™ Keto Coffee Chip French Ice Cream [emphasis added];

FRENCH ICE CREAM: WATER, CREAM, ERYTHRITOL, CHICORY ROOT FIBER, EGG YOLK, MILK PROTEIN ISOLATE, COFFEE CONCENTRATE, GLYCERIN, CONTAINS LESS THAN 1% : SALT, CELLULOSE GEL, MONK FRUIT EXTRACT, STEVIOL GLYCOSIDES, CELLULOSE GUM.CHOCO FLAKES: COCONUT OIL, COCOA, ERYTHRITOL, SUNFLOWERLECITHIN, SALT, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), VANILLA EXTRACT, MONKFRUIT. CONTAINS: MILK, EGG.

So they add more Steviol than Celluose Gel, which I personally find a little worrying. They also use Erythritol in the “Choco Flakes” and, by virtue of this slight-of-hand get to obfuscate the total quantities (the ingredients are in order of mass, but they say there are only two ingredients, “french ice cream” and “choco flakes”, which they then define in terms of other ingredients.)

IMHO the brand is not Simple and I make no comment on Truth since it is so malleable.

2 Likes

I usually get too much food when I am low, being high hasn’t caused an issue. But since I am a vegan a regular grocery store trip with a too low BG will cause a basket full of veggies and fruits, way more than I can eat before they go bad. But a health food store has way too many goodies I can eat for me to go near it if I am low. It’s best to eat a few vegan gummy bears first if I have to shop.

4 Likes

Glad I read this chain, hadn’t heard of, or tried, Nicks Ice Cream. I’ll have to give it a go. In our retirement, my wife and I had a thing going for a small dish of ice cream at night…right up to me being dx’d. Been looking for something that tastes decent and doesn’t spike me. I hear @jbowler talking, I’m not all THAT concerned about most chemical sweeteners if the product overall tastes ok. Erythritol usually just “tastes” cool/cold, very little sweetness to me. But its worth a try…

2 Likes