G6 strip usage

I’ll be switching from Dexcom G5 to G6 in a few weeks. Curious how many test strips I should plan on using, since I’m due to stock up soon. I average about 4 per day with G5, between calibrations, ???, and times when I know my BG is moving faster than G5 readings.

So, G6 users… what should I expect? More or fewer test strips than I’ve been using with G5?

3 Likes

I think it varies, for many reasons.

When I switched I did 2-4 times per day to “learn” and trust the G6 readings.

With restarted sensors, I tend to test when it seems off based on what I think or how I feel. So usually more BG tests on restarted sensors, frequency varies.

Most strips used first days of new sensor, and 1-2 days after restart, many days NO tests.

7 Likes

Thanks for asking that @John58, I was curious too since I’m in the same boat.

3 Likes

I am using many fewer strips with the G6 (so far). Haven’t restarted a sensor yet—that might make a difference.

3 Likes

For me, it is about 1 test strip every 10 days. I understand it varies widely depending on whether the G6 works well and is trustworthy in your individual body. In my case, when I started to use the G6 I took confirmatory fingersticks a few times during the first few days, and daily for the rest of the first sensor and first day of the second sensor. I was satisfied with the accuracy, and since then (several months now) I never calibrate and always dose directly off the CGM, with the important exception that I am less trusting of the sensor during the first 12 hours because it can temporarily read significantly low while the insertion wound is healing. These days I use about 1 fingerstick every 10 days, during the middle of the 2-hour warmup, because I generally start a new sensor in the evening while some digestion is still going on, so I watch to see if I need to intervene before the G6 starts providing readings.

5 Likes

I will be making the switch to G6 once my G5 transmitter is finished. I started to fill my G6 prescription already, so I have some in back-stock. I should be able to get one more G6 transmitter, maybe two, before I will need to switch over.

I have so many Freestyle strips for my OmniPod PDM that I don’t think I will need strips for a long time to come. With the G4 and before I was testing 10+ times a day. When I started the G5 I was testing like that too, until I learned I was able to bolus off of the G5, but I still filled my prescription for strips. With the reduction in testing BGs, I have an abundance of test strips. Once they are close to being done, I’ll be switching over to another brand because I don’t know how long my PDM will be functional, especially if I switch to another pump! LOL

Edited to answer the actual question! I will probably just make sure I have a few hundred test strips in back-stock because it is said that the G6 does not need to be calibrated, but be all know we need to test sometimes, especially when what the CGM says doesn’t match how we are feeling.

3 Likes

Sounds like we’re on a similar schedule. I’ve been using up G5 supplies all summer and am down to my second to last sensor with about 3 weeks left on my last transmitter. Have built up a decent stockpile of G6 sensors plus a spare transmitter in advance of the switch.

Seems like my strip usage comes in spurts on G5. Starting a new sensor causes me to use a lot in those first 24 hours, followed by maybe 2-4 daily after the sensor settles in. I’m hoping G6 seriously reduces my usage of test strips…I guess time will tell. When I was able to buy Contour Next strips on Amazon for a decent price it was no big deal, but now the prices have doubled and they are only available on other online sites.

3 Likes

That is the brand I am thinking of getting. I hear it is superior to other brands, but I haven’t checked out the price. Insurance-wise I was able to get the Freestyle as a covered benefit because of the PDM. It’s doubtful I will be able to get the Contour brand as a covered benefit.

1 Like

Well, I agree with others, that it really depends, but I would say you would be safe with the 4 strips / day, same as G5. Like others have said, the first couple of days need to be tested til you are comfortable to trust the numbers coming from the G6. It is hard to tell it is off sometimes because the BG line can look pretty normal. You have to go by how you feel, or just when in doubt, test. It USUALLY becomes accurate in a day or two, and sometimes it is even accurate right off the bat on day one!

2 Likes

https://forum.fudiabetes.org/t/where-do-you-find-contour-next-test-strips-these-days/10003

Here’s the old thread about options for buying CN strips. I have not tried ordering any since that last episode, but guessing that availability and price online will continue to be a moving target.

1 Like

Same here @Tapestry. I was able to get the FreeStyle strips covered because it was used by the OmniPod PDM. I haven’t tried to get the Contour Next strips covered yet, but I’m doubtful they will be covered.

1 Like

We probably use about 6 on the day the sensor fails, and one on other days. They fail about once a week, so that’s about 12 per week. But then again, our son has trouble with the G6 lasting the full 10 days. It might be less with you.

we find that it is much closer to his true blood sugar than the G5, but gives “no readings” or “sensor errors” more.

4 Likes

We used to use a lot more than we do today…we’ve gotten into the (lazy) habit of…when calibration is necessary, entering the number that’s showing currently and skipping the calibration finger sticks. lol. We still do the 2 hour warm up sticks …and I even cheat on those…if his BGs from the previous two sticks were in a good range and showing relatively level trajectory, I’ll go out to as long as 25 or 30 min to cut down on the number of sticks he needs. Loop stops working, but I’m fine with that sometimes if his numbers are good.

4 Likes

I only use finger-sticks when something doesn’t feel right with my G6 reading. Which is pretty rare. In the past month, I think I’ve used five sticks.

2 Likes

I switched from G5 to G6 about 8 months ago. And before then, I tested 8x daily. With G6 I only test if I feel the reading might be off. During the first 24 hours from sensor insert, that happens 3 or 4 times. After that, only once every few days at most. It has been quite accurate after that settling period. That means I’m using about 10-12 strips a month.

3 Likes

I also switched end of last year. On day-2 to -9 of each G6 sensor, I rarely test bg. However, about 10 tests on each day-1 where for 2 hours I have no values, and for a few more hours crappy ones (much too low, usually). On day-10 (or -11 if I try to extend) again too many question marks (often too high, then), so need strips then, too. - As G5 (using xDrip+) also did not really require much calibration, or checking, after a couple of days; I do not use much less strips with G6 now (a bit of a disappointment. with this supposedly “no more fingersticks” system).

4 Likes

I’m surprised that you need to test do many times during the two hour warm up? Are things that unstable? Similarly surprised at the numbermber of calibrations you need. I know we are all different but I’ve found that if you just “ride out” the first few readings from a new sensor it quickly settles down. Again, for me, it seems you can calibrate too much. Before I had the G6, Medtronic told me that calibrations when things were unstable further confused things. I don’t know if the two technologies are alike in that.
I believe the disappointment you feel at the “no more fingersticks” should be tempered when trying to extend the with the fact you (and I) are jiggering their technology and FDA approval. Not that you can’t be disappointed but that part at least is self inflicted.

3 Likes

@bkh I found this very interesting, being as this was what began happening to my very first sensor yesterday. Unfortunately tech support had me do some calibrating and it eventually ruined that sensor, so I’m awaiting a new one in the mail. But I think (even though we all have different experiences) I will consider your 12hr rule with my new sensor!

2 Likes

I get my contour next test strips from Diabetic Warehouse. They always send great expiration dates and offer free shipping on all orders. I usually get my strips in 2-3 days. Faster than Amazon.

2 Likes

Welcome to FUD @Badler626, look forward to learning more about you as you post more.

1 Like