G6 Newbie

Just got my G6 and inserted my first sensor this afternoon. I downloaded the G6 app, Clarity app. There are so many questions that I have. Is there a computer based, web based Clarity? A few years ago, when I demo’ed a G4, I had a lot of false lows, mostly during the night. Do any of you or your children sleep on the sensors? I’ve heard about compression lows and dehydration - but realistically don’t sensors get pushed/compressed? How dehydrated is dehydration? So far less than 24 hours, the G6 is consistently reading about 30 points higher than my fingerstick (about 20%+). The trend lines seem accurate. That’s useful to me. Since it’s the first day, I have not calibrated.

2 Likes

I calibrate the first day within first 4-6 hours, as long as its flat, especially if bg check shows it is off.

Good luck !!

3 Likes

Thank you! The numbers just now:

BG : 85 fingerstick, 99 G6 horizontal arrow. - one hour after a 4u Afrezza correction. BG before the Afrezza was 156 and 169 G6 with the 45 degree angled arrow slight rise- with still some Novolog IOB from almost 3 hours ago.

3 Likes

@lh378:

Yes, you should be able to login to the web-based Clarity at http://clarity.deccom.com. Also, some people like the thrift-party Tidepool app found at Tidepool.org.

In terms of compression lows, I think that a number is have tinkered with sensor location based on sleep habits and where we have adequate “flesh” for reliable readings. For me, the back of my arm gives me reliable readings with only a rare compression low. Of course, I have never been called “Mr. Tricep” …
But, everyone is different.

Good luck.

John

4 Likes

Not bad for the second day.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Experience with Afrezza and the G6

Worry about the trends, not the immediate numbers. A match from the finger-stick to the CGM is remarkably rare because the CGM talls what your blood sugar was fifteen to 30-minutes ago. You’ll get used to the lag after a while with experience.

I’ve been wearing a G6 for a few years now and I have never seen a “compression low”. (My insertion alternates on my belly from the left to the right side).

3 Likes

Does the G6 only work well in body parts with fat? I have fat around my abdomenal area, less on the front of my thighs.
I would like to try the front thighs but am concerned about having less fat in the area. Would it lead to inaccuracies?

Anyone have experience with G6 placement on body parts with less fat?

1 Like

I live in South Carolina and have been experiencing 30 mg gaps in my CGM and blood meter. I didn’t realize that getting dehydrated would affect the readings so much. I discussed this with my Endo at my checkup today in his office. He didn’t mention that this might be the cause of the gaps. I do not like water much, but I will now make it a point to drink more from now on. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

2 Likes

Is there a way for me to document on a Dexcom App the food I eat, for example, an apple; not 40 grams of carb? Is there a way to do so using the G6 app or another free app?

The G6 app lets me add quantities of carbs, insulin. What I want to do is document :
WHAT I ate, and also that I took Afrezza. It’s more effective and important that I know the impact on BG if I were to eat an apple than just the number of carbs. Not all carbs affect BG’s in the same way.

Sorry if this sounds like stupid questions. I am really new to tracking food on a G6 app.

1 Like

Not on dexcom app (I think), but xDrip can log food and other events if you have android. I think sugarmate is also popular. Hope others chime in, since I don’t log that data !! Or search if there is another thread on this.

2 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

I wore my G5 on my inner upper thigh for a long time. I have very thin thighs. I switched to the back of my upper arm. I get better readings I think. My arms are not very fleshy either but seems to work better. Have G6 now and have always worn on arm. Save belly for pump.

2 Likes

Although I am on the 14 day FSLibre, (and have been on the G4 and the G5 in the past) I have found two things to be utterly true: Hydration hydration hydration makes for better accuracy.
and second, I wear my Libre on the back side of my upper left arm, and I am NOT fleshy at all. rather quite muscular up there from swimming. But of all of the sites I have tried, this one has been consistently reliable. I get the most accurate readings in this location.( btw, my biggest challenge for me has been getting in and out of my sports bra :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Is the G6 reading real time? I thought that there was no delay or lag in the G6 data therefore treatment decisions could be made without fingersticks. It’s still measuring interstitial fluids, that I understand. So I am a bit confused by the above reference to “blood sugar was fifteen to 30 minutes ago.”

1 Like

Lol agree about sports bras and other clothing. I have G6 and alternate arms. Upper thigh was super convenient but was just not consistent with readings. Another reader gave me step by step instructions on how to restart my sensor and it worked. This old dog is always learning.

3 Likes

Is there a thread on how to restart G6 sensor? This old dog definitely is open to learning.

I have read elsewhere, that the transmitter has to be removed using an old test strip. Is there a way to restart G6 sensor without removing the transmitter?

1 Like

I would like to understand this as well. If testing interstitial fluids it’s definitely not “real time”. Only finger blood sticks can give you this to my knowledge.

2 Likes

I agree that interstitial fluids is not blood sticks. This is what Dexcom website says:

Dexcom gives themselves an out by saying that we can fingerstick. Shaking my head.

ETA: Yes the * gives them the out.

2 Likes

Yes, but their statement really doesn’t answer any questions about how they can make this claim…the asterisk I guess is their way of saying basically nothing said above is (or possibly will be) accurate?

5 Likes