G6 ships with only 1 Transmitter?

That is odd, I went back and checked my dates again. My 8JR transmitter bought in summer ‘20 accepted a sensor start on Day 91 so it will die at day 101. I’ll keep plugging away at trying to stretch a few days or weeks on each transmitter and see how it goes.

2 Likes

I think you jinxed me with this post! :grinning:

Last night my transmitter died! My receiver gave me a message that there was a transmitter error and that it needed to be replaced. I tried to start a new sensor but it did not work.

It was only about 1.5 months old.

It is actually a nice bonus. I’m getting a replacement sent to me. So I got 1.5 months “free”. That adds to my supply cushion, so it’s a good deal for me. :+1:

10 Likes

The last time that happened to me they made me send back the other transmitter. Sounds like you lucked out!

BTW - my wife really believes me speaking something causes it to happen…

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, how long do you estimate it will take before your replacement arrives? Are you in the US? City or country/rural address?

1 Like

Yeah, same thing. I need to send it back too.

Jinx me a McLaren!

2 Likes

They told me 3-5 days. I am in the U.S.

1 Like

I have switched back and forth between two insurance companies over the past few years (due to job changes). One of the insurance companies allows 2 transmitters at a time, and the other only allows 1 at a time. In my (limited) experience, Dexcom seems to only be enforcing these rules, not creating them.

2 Likes

I think it depends on ones insurance as I can order 2 transmitters at a time (when I was ordering directly from Dexcom and now going through a 3rd party supplier).

1 Like

I have the same insurance I’ve had for nearly two decades. I’ve been able to get 2 G5 transmitters since we started using them. But not the G6.

1 Like

My last order was for 2.

1 Like

Harold, that’s so weird. Sorry you’re having to deal with that. :confused:

I’m grateful I can order 2 G6 transmitters at a time (like I did with the G5)!

2 Likes

I talked with a Dexcom rep about this because I wanted a backup transmitter and she advised me that it could end up costing me for no purpose because the warranty for the G6 starts on the SHIPPING DATE, not the date you start to use it! She said that if I had a transmitter that went faulty but that was also outwith the warranty period, they would not replace it - this is why Dexcom only send 1 transmitter at a time now.

2 Likes

That information contradicts the official warranty statement in Appendix E: Warranty on page 290 in the Dexcom G6 System User Guide which states:

“What’s Covered and for How Long?Dexcom, Inc. (“Dexcom”) provides a limited warranty to the original purchaser (“you” or “Purchaser”) that the Dexcom G6 transmitter (the “transmitter”) is free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use (“Limited Warranty”) for the period commencing on the date of first use by the original purchaser (the “Date of First Use”) and expiring three (3) months thereafter; provided, that, the Date of First use occurs within five (5) months of the date of shipment (or disbursement) of the transmitter to you (“Warranty Period”).”

I would believe that official warranty statement over the verbal advice of a Dexcom rep. You can find an on-line version of the user guide via the Dexcom web site on the warranty page https://www.dexcom.com/faqs/warranty-for-Dexcom-CGM-Systems (the user guide link is on the lower right of the page).

3 Likes

“I would believe that official warranty statement over the verbal advice of a Dexcom rep” - yep, I would agree with that!

2 Likes

Sounds like you got a dud for a customer service rep. The importance of having 2 can’t be overstated…what do you do between the time your SINGLE transmitter errors out and the time it takes for them to ship you one and you receive it? A week or more sometimes…having 2 has been of paramount importance to us. We are currently investigating this ourselves with our Endo/Insurance/Edgepark…we believe it’s because “the order” that was put in by our Endo only called for a single transmitter in our case. Now they’ve updated the order and I’m waiting to hear back from Edgepark/Insurance as to whether or not the Insurance covers us getting 2. Given that I’ve had the same insurance for the past, nearly 2 decades, and given we’ve always been approved for 2 G5’s, it follows that we should be approved for 2 G6’s.

Here’s hoping…still waiting to hear back.

3 Likes

That’s correct in the latest transmitter I have, it’s an 8ND manufactured 2020-10-09, shipped (to me) 11/06/2020 by WalMart. The included docs have this to say (summarized from Appendix G section G.1 and emphasis added):

Dexcom Inc. [* * *] [warrants that the] receiver is free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use [* * *] for the period starting from the date of shipment to you and continuing for a year

So they seem to have clarified the agreement; the actual warranty period seems to be better than before and extends past the “use it or lose it” date; 2021-10-09 on my transmitter but the warranty extends to 2021-11-06.

So, yes, maybe it isn’t what they said before but but it is better (8 months +90 days is only 11 months) and it is as the rep explained, at least for the latest transmitters/paperwork.

2 Likes

Many thanks for that update. I have always found the Dexcom reps to be very helpful and it worried me that they might not be correct in what they were saying but I think this pretty much settles it!

@jbowler quoted a Dexcom document that says the receiver warranty is a year. @Darzad was talking about the transmitter warranty. The excerpt that I quoted from The Dexcom G6 System User Guide makes a clear statement about the transmitter warranty, and it’s not a year. G6 ships with only 1 Transmitter? - #33 by bkh

3 Likes

Yes, you are correct; I was mixed up about the receiver/transmitter/sensor nomenclature again. So the warranty has not changed:

[Warranty] for the period commencing on the date of first use [* * *] and expiring three (3) months thereafter; [sic] provided that the Date of First occurs within five (5) months of the date of shipment (or disbursement) of the transmitter to you.

So that’s a lot worse than I first thought; my latest G6 transmitter has to be used before April 6 this year and the newest (unused) one I have is already out of warranty; the warranty on that expired on Dec 14 last year (so I’m a month out). I’ll use it anyway, because my current transmitter expired on Jan 15.

So that makes what the rep said even more correct, surely? The use has to start within 3 months, that’s before the 151, 152 or 153rd day depending on when you start it, and it only lasts 90 to 92 days (depending on when you start it).

So what the rep said sort-of makes sense, yet shipping two transmitters initially also makes sense. In the “initial” case an insurance company won’t typically refill until 6 days before the next refill is due, which is very close to the hardwired end-of-life of the transmitter. On the other hand having more than one transmitter on hand, which is the situation I’m currently in, can lead to a new transmitter going out of warranty before it gets used (as my next transmitter has).

Dang, I thought they had got a sensible warranty. I guess they are still having problems with getting reliable battery life.

Looking at my orders I can see that I got ahead last year; I got a transmitter July 14 (Bastille Day), realized I was running a risk of having expired transmitters based on the “use by” date, and delayed the next order until Nov 6. Now I when I change out the current transmitter (the one before the Bastille Day shipment) I’ll be back in sync, ordering every 90 days and using a transmitter which has 2 months left before the expiration of the 5 month start-date warranty. It’s all very easy to get wrong.

2 Likes

My G6 transmitter failed this morning due to “low battery” after only 2 months of use. :angry:

I have contacted Dexcom tech support and emailed my supplier to find out how to add a second transmitter to my upcoming order. Lesson learned!

Oh yeah, my trusty Relion lancing device also decided to bite the dust this morning (but I do have a back-up). Sigh…

ETA 2/2: Dexcom is sending a transmitter and sensor but delivery is not scheduled until the 5th!!! :flushed::flushed::flushed:

4 Likes